Sony Focus Priority

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I came across this in my menu and it’s set to standard. I hit the info button and I’m curious if I should change it to focus priority. What are you all doing?

IMG_0464.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_0463.jpeg

IMG_0466.jpeg

Hmmm Ive wondered how this setting affects performance . I have my camera set as silent so I think this option is greyed out . Apparently using focus priority stops down whilst focusing but I shoot wide open 95% time . Be interesting to see if it does have any affect on the focus performance especially for action

I came across this in my menu and it’s set to standard. I hit the info button and I’m curious if I should change it to focus priority. What are you all doing?

View attachment 75269
View attachment 75270
View attachment 75271
Hi David.

0 ) If you use A9, A1, A9 II or A9 III, the difference in AF speed is neglible .

2) If you use other bodies, with certain lenses, it's a bit more obvious, i.e. the original Sony 50mm F /1.8, it hunts so much, I almost give up on the lens UNTIL I put the same lens on A9.

4) For portrait sessions, especially in the studio and outdoor events, I would switch to Focus Priority; getting eye-focus sharp is more important.

6) The Silent Priority slows down A7Riii but not so much on A9, A1; then again I only use A9 & A1 for indoor performance, musical, dance etc.

Oliver

Hi David.

0 ) If you use A9, A1, A9 II or A9 III, the difference in AF speed is neglible .

2) If you use other bodies, with certain lenses, it's a bit more obvious, i.e. the original Sony 50mm F /1.8, it hunts so much, I almost give up on the lens UNTIL I put the same lens on A9.

4) For portrait sessions, especially in the studio and outdoor events, I would switch to Focus Priority; getting eye-focus sharp is more important.

6) The Silent Priority slows down A7Riii but not so much on A9, A1; then again I only use A9 & A1 for indoor performance, musical, dance etc.

Oliver
Thanks. I have a pair of a1’s and will be adding an a9III to the mix when it’s available.

Back