Sony: Image Stabilization + Exposure compensation

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone, so I have two questions that I've been pondering on for quite a while and I'm trying to get them answered before I head up to Yellowstone.

1. I'm trying to engage more with the filming world and I'm a bit confused. I use a Sony system, A1, and I've been using it for a while. However, I'm extremely confused about stabilization when it comes to OSS and IBIS. Can they work independently from each other? Or do both have to be turned on in order to operate? Does this apply to photography too?

a) OSS turned on, IBIS turned off = ?
b) OSS turned off, IBIS turned on = ?

Reason I'm asking is because I would love to turn on OSS for video, but I would like to turn off IBIS in order to get the full crop of 4k and have my video exported on a 4k timeline rather then 1080p. With IBIS, whether using standard shot or active shot, you get a mild crop from what I've read. I think for active there is a 1.1x crop, not sure about the crop size of standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If there isn't a crop would definitely shoot with IBIS and OSS for video.

2. I'm planning to shoot with slog 2 or 3 (PP7 or PP8). Doing this to get to get more dynamic range in color correction/grading process (which I'm new at too). That said, for exposing, particularly in snowy conditions, I'm confused if I should:

a) expose to the right + turn on exposure compensation ranging from 2/3 stops to 3 stops depending on conditions
b) expose to the right + turn off exposure compensation
c) don't expose to the right + turn on exposure compensation ranging from 2/3 stops to 3 stops depending on conditions
d) don't expose to the right + turn off exposure compensation

All of this is new to me and I don't get it at all, but trying here! Haha.

Hi everyone, so I have two questions that I've been pondering on for quite a while and I'm trying to get them answered before I head up to Yellowstone.

1. I'm trying to engage more with the filming world and I'm a bit confused. I use a Sony system, A1, and I've been using it for a while. However, I'm extremely confused about stabilization when it comes to OSS and IBIS. Can they work independently from each other? Or do both have to be turned on in order to operate? Does this apply to photography too?

a) OSS turned on, IBIS turned off = ?
b) OSS turned off, IBIS turned on = ?

Reason I'm asking is because I would love to turn on OSS for video, but I would like to turn off IBIS in order to get the full crop of 4k and have my video exported on a 4k timeline rather then 1080p. With IBIS, whether using standard shot or active shot, you get a mild crop from what I've read. I think for active there is a 1.1x crop, not sure about the crop size of standard. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If there isn't a crop would definitely shoot with IBIS and OSS for video.

2. I'm planning to shoot with slog 2 or 3 (PP7 or PP8). Doing this to get to get more dynamic range in color correction/grading process (which I'm new at too). That said, for exposing, particularly in snowy conditions, I'm confused if I should:

a) expose to the right + turn on exposure compensation ranging from 2/3 stops to 3 stops depending on conditions
b) expose to the right + turn off exposure compensation
c) don't expose to the right + turn on exposure compensation ranging from 2/3 stops to 3 stops depending on conditions
d) don't expose to the right + turn off exposure compensation

All of this is new to me and I don't get it at all, but trying here! Haha.
This is a mutli-aspect question post, I will try my best to answer some of it.

You didn't mention what lens you use, so my answers depend on some configurarions.

On the questions of Image Stablization:

(a) When it comes to image stablization, the lens setting takes the priority.

If the lens IS is turned on, the camera body IBIS should be greyed out.

(b) When the OSS is off, the IBIS can be turned on or off.

IIRC, the 1.1 crop happens when you shoot 4K at 120FP on 10bit 4:2:2 at 16:9 ratio.

The video quality depends more on the lighting, shutter angle, focal length and backgrounds, I am not sure how the OSS / IBIS comes to play UNLESS you shoot videos handheld.

Oliver

PS: this is a short video clip of warblers at drinking fountain, I shot it on A9 + 200-600mm on a tripod.

This is a mutli-aspect question post, I will try my best to answer some of it.

You didn't mention what lens you use, so my answers depend on some configurarions.

On the questions of Image Stablization:

(a) When it comes to image stablization, the lens setting takes the priority.

If the lens IS is turned on, the camera body IBIS should be greyed out.

(b) When the OSS is off, the IBIS can be turned on or off.

IIRC, the 1.1 crop happens when you shoot 4K at 120FP on 10bit 4:2:2 at 16:9 ratio.

The video quality depends more on the lighting, shutter angle, focal length and backgrounds, I am not sure how the OSS / IBIS comes to play UNLESS you shoot videos handheld.

Oliver

PS: this is a short video clip of warblers at drinking fountain, I shot it on A9 + 200-600mm on a tripod.

Thank you so much! Just tested it, makes so much more sense! I'm using a 100-400GM. Was thinking of image stabilization more as a a safety net. Not using a video tripod head, using my Wimberley gimbal I have for photography, that's my only option right now, hope it will turn out decent. Experimenting with what I have.

Just for some clarity to make sure I understand you.

1, My lens 100-400, or any others that uses OSS, such as 600f.4, 400f.4, 200-600 etc. cause the image stabilization to direct itself to the lens (OSS) and cancels out the body stabilization (IBIS). With that said, IBIS would only occur for non-OSS lenses such as the 24-70gm, 12-24gm etc.

2. So turning on OSS for my 100-400 would NOT cause a crop UNLESS you're shooting at 4k 120FPS 10bit 4:2:2? Only two record settings; highlighted in red below. Put the chart down as a visual, included 8k format, dropped HD format. Thought it might make it easier to see what I'm comprehending from your info.

XAVC HS 8K - (4:2:2, 10 bit)

30p (520 M/ 260 M)
24p (520 M/ 260 M)
XAVC HS 4K - (4:2:2, 10 bit)

120p (280 M)
60p (200 M / 100 M)
24p (100 M / 50 M)

XAVC S 4K - (4:2:2, 10 bit)

120p (280 M)
60p (200 M)
30p (140 M)
24p (100 M)

XAVC S-I 4K - (4:2:2, 10 bit)

60p (600 M)
30p (300 M
24p (240 M)
XAVC HS 8K - (4:2:0, 10bit)

30p (400 M / 200 M
24p (400 M /200 M)
XAVC HS 4K – (4:2:0, 10 bit)

120p (200 M)
60p (150 M / 75 M / 45 M)
24p (100 M / 50 M / 30 M)

XAVC S 4K - (4:2:0, 8 bit)

120p (200 M)
60p (150M)
30p (100 M / 60 M)
24p (100 M / 60 M)

Last edited:
I don't have any knowledge of the A1, but on the Z9 there is optical image stabilization and electronic image stabilization. I am now aware of any limitations to shooting video in any of the file types or resolutions using optical image stabilization, lens VR or IBIS. If I shoot in 8K, 4K at 120p or 100p, or HD at 120p or 100p the electronic image stabilization is automatically set to off. The electronic image stabilization is what does the cropping.

Back