Sony launched the official Sony (A7rV ) teaser!!!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Still no Z6iii or mythical "Z8" on the horizon from Nikon. I'm not really interested in the A7RV as I don't see a lot of use for a 60mpx plus sensor. But something from Nikon to "one up" the A7iv with a 30ish MP sensor (stacked... yeah) and 15fps Lossless Compressed RAW shooting and Z9 hand me down AF capability, I'm going to be the first one in line. I don't care if they call it the Z6iii, Z8, or Z Canary Killer, I want it.

Jeff

This could be an interesting second body if the performance lives up to the rumors

. New AF module altogether... let's see how that compares to the A1 and where they claim the improvements are but it can be of interest depending on what changes they made
. 8 stop IS... I'll believe it when it gets validated but let's assume for a second that it's true (not some digital stabilization trick through cropping), it would get Sony on par with Canon and a bit ahead of Nikon. Both Sony and Nikon have notoriously more capable IS systems than Sony today so it would be a nice upgrade
. Full sensor readout 4K60p - depending on how they downsample, that could be very nice. The A1 4K full sensor readout is soft. You have to use the APSC Super-35 crop to get sharp 4k. If they fixed that it would be a nice step forward

I am just cautious since the sensor is not changing, I am wondering how many of these features will play out on a slow readout sensor (4K60p sharp but with massive rolling shutter is not very useful...)

Cautiously optimistic is where I stand right now.

The teaser only mentions that a new Sony camera is coming though presumable it is A7R5.
Will it give run for its money to A1 !
Sounds like there will be a bunch of features that will be improved over the A1. Totally new AF, newer processor, 8 stop IBIS and probably things the A7IV already has over the A1 like Animal Eye-AF in video.
But with likely the same sensor and therefore likely a very slow readout, it won't hold a candle to the A1 for fast action stills photography. May still be 10FPS also.

What it will tell us is what kind of new features/developments we may see in a future A1 II. A1 II would likely be ready for 2024 Olympics so probably late 2023 or early 2024 release.

I’m on the consumer treadmill as much as the next guy, but what exactly is wrong with the current AF system that they need to improve? “Totally redesigned” to me sounds like “possibly worse”, as it seems the consensus is that it’s pretty much perfect already?

It seems we’re getting to the point in cameras that gas-engines cars are at: they’ve perfected them by any measure, so now they’re just adding ludicrous horsepower to claim improvement.

This could be an interesting second body if the performance lives up to the rumors

. New AF module altogether... let's see how that compares to the A1 and where they claim the improvements are but it can be of interest depending on what changes they made
. 8 stop IS... I'll believe it when it gets validated but let's assume for a second that it's true (not some digital stabilization trick through cropping), it would get Sony on par with Canon and a bit ahead of Nikon. Both Sony and Nikon have notoriously more capable IS systems than Sony today so it would be a nice upgrade
. Full sensor readout 4K60p - depending on how they downsample, that could be very nice. The A1 4K full sensor readout is soft. You have to use the APSC Super-35 crop to get sharp 4k. If they fixed that it would be a nice step forward

I am just cautious since the sensor is not changing, I am wondering how many of these features will play out on a slow readout sensor (4K60p sharp but with massive rolling shutter is not very useful...)

Cautiously optimistic is where I stand right now.
If it could do 15 fps , has video Eye AF like A7 Iv & priced around 4000 - 4500 $ ,it would be indeed a great back up body for A1
I do also hope that Sony announces at least a 500 PF GM lens to make it a killer combo😄

I’m on the consumer treadmill as much as the next guy, but what exactly is wrong with the current AF system that they need to improve? “Totally redesigned” to me sounds like “possibly worse”, as it seems the consensus is that it’s pretty much perfect already?
if i had to guess, i'd guess it implies their current AF system has architectural limits that don't allow it to improve and so they had to do a re-do.

i think you are right, it doesn't necessarily imply better... for now, esp. in this camera. but it does sound like they're laying groundwork for the future, including an a1 mkii or such. 🤷‍♂️

Rumours are not official -- you have to wait a week for that.
The most interesting part of the launch will be to see the new AF capabilities. AND whether or not Sony has finally moved to a CF Express Type B card. Other than that -- best of luck to you sony shooters in getting your hands on this "new" camera any time soon.

if i had to guess, i'd guess it implies their current AF system has architectural limits that don't allow it to improve and so they had to do a re-do.

i think you are right, it doesn't necessarily imply better... for now, esp. in this camera. but it does sound like they're laying groundwork for the future, including an a1 mkii or such. 🤷‍♂️
I read it the same way. I am wondering if that's why they never offered an "auto" subject detection mode like Nikon has. Or the car / plane / bike modes (not that I have any use for them but it seems like a weird omission). Hopefully the new mode is not a step back and it unleashes some capabilities the current one can't.

It seems we’re getting to the point in cameras that gas-engines cars are at: they’ve perfected them by any measure, so now they’re just adding ludicrous horsepower to claim improvement.

Nothing's really "wrong" with the current one; I can keep shooting with my A1 and be content for years to come.
But it doesn't mean that a new AF system that doesn't latch on backgrounds wouldn't be desirable. Or an "auto" mode for subject detection. Or quad pixel AF for equal sensitivity in vertical and horizontal mode, or voice controlled AF... none of those things are necessary but some of them would be nice additions.

Rumours are not official -- you have to wait a week for that.
The most interesting part of the launch will be to see the new AF capabilities. AND whether or not Sony has finally moved to a CF Express Type B card. Other than that -- best of luck to you sony shooters in getting your hands on this "new" camera any time soon.
The beautiful thing about shooting an A1 is that "anytime soon" becomes a very relative thing. Even if it's 2 years, it's not like I'll lose sleep over it :)

Back