Sony Lenses for Neotropical Birds, Mammals

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I shot Sony, I used both the 100-400 and 200-600. I liked the 200-600 more than the 100-400 so shot that primarily. As far as reach, either would be fine.

This was In Aruba, where birds are relatively tame - not like FL, but better than in the "wild"

Hope this helps

Cheers

George

I own the 200-600, 400GM and 600GM. As expected the primes are my favorite. I use the 600 the most but that’s because of my subjects and distance. The f2.8 is wonderful if 400mm can fill the frame. No zoom matches a prime for af speed and optics quality but they are cheaper, smaller, lighter and flexible for focal length. With zooms I’m often shooting at the max end anyway.

I use my 400mm more than my 200-600. It's great in the low light of the neotropics and with the AF, the fast glass acquires focus instantly. It's also really sharp with the Sony 1.4TC. Probably the sharpest TC I have tried. So you get 560mm at f/4 with that combo. Nice to have both.

If it were I, I'd use the 400 2.8. If I couldn't afford that (which I can't) I'd take the 200 mm f2.8 and use a 2x converter and shoot crop mode, giving me 600mm at f5.6, or the 1.4x giving me 420 @ f4, or shoot 200mm at f2.8 giving me 300mm using crop mode. Guess this would depend on camera body, but I'm thinking either a1 or a7r5. Just a thought. :)

The 200-600 is one of the best zooms ever made, IMHO. If a prime is outside of the budget, you can't go wrong with this as a standard lens for wildlife, even at f/5.6-6.3. You can always rent a speciality prime for those big trips now and then if needed. I did it that way for years while I was saving to buy my 400mm f/2.8

Back