Sony section poll

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Would you like a Sony section?

• Yes

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't object to it but I do think it could be a slippery slope for Steve and Rose. If they add a Sony section, then folks would want a Nikon section and a Canon section and one for every other brand out there. I'd like to see a Canon section too. Maybe split the General Photography Discussion into 2 parts:
1) General Photography Discussion (Techniques, Tips, Recommendations for places to go, etc.)
2) Gear Talk (cameras, lenses, Camera Support (tripods, monopods, sandbags, big rocks, etc.), Lighting & Modifiers, Studio gear, etc.

I don't know, It is 7:30am and I've only had one cup of coffee, so it is entirely possible I'm babbling on incoherently. Leslie (loving wife of 40 wonderful years) would happily say that coffee and me babbling incoherently are not related).

Jeff

I wouldn't object to it but I do think it could be a slippery slope for Steve and Rose. If they add a Sony section, then folks would want a Nikon section and a Canon section and one for every other brand out there. I'd like to see a Canon section too. Maybe split the General Photography Discussion into 2 parts:
1) General Photography Discussion (Techniques, Tips, Recommendations for places to go, etc.)
2) Gear Talk (cameras, lenses, Camera Support (tripods, monopods, sandbags, big rocks, etc.), Lighting & Modifiers, Studio gear, etc.

I don't know, It is 7:30am and I've only had one cup of coffee, so it is entirely possible I'm babbling on incoherently. Leslie (loving wife of 40 wonderful years) would happily say that coffee and me babbling incoherently are not related).

Jeff
I mean, it’s obvious the forum is geared more towards Nikon shooters, which I no longer am it just seems like sometimes so many questions or post seem to get lost in the mix, as well as Cannon, and other brands for that matter.

Would a Sony section keep Sony users from commenting all over the Nikon threads?.... lol.... doubtful!
Not sure who you’re referring to but I don’t ever make comments on Nikon threads anymore unless it’s to provide information for products I have used in the past. I just replied to Jeff this is basically a Nikon forum. I think it would be nice if shooters of other brands Had a section even if it’s labeled other brands to where they can post threads and concentrate on their brand

I mean for that matter, I don’t see anything wrong with putting a section for each camera brand. It seems like it would be more thorough and targeted towards specific problems, questions and issues

I mean, it’s obvious the forum is geared more towards Nikon shooters, which I no longer am it just seems like sometimes so many questions or post seem to get lost in the mix, as well as Cannon, and other brands for that matter.
I hear ya. I'm a Canon shooter used to be a Nikon shooter and still own one Sony (yes, I like Bluegrass, Classical and Blues music too, I'm a little... oh there goes a squirrel... where was I?). I do think separating gear talk from general photography discussion would help reduce some clutter for those who are not really interested in gear. I would not object to individual brand sections just thinking it could create moderation effort for Steve, Rose and the other moderators here to keep each brand section on-topic.

I agree, there is a lot of Nikon talk here.

Jeff

I hear ya. I'm a Canon shooter used to be a Nikon shooter and still own one Sony (yes, I like Bluegrass, Classical and Blues music too, I'm a little... oh there goes a squirrel... where was I?). I do think separating gear talk from general photography discussion would help reduce some clutter for those who are not really interested in gear. I would not object to individual brand sections just thinking it could create moderation effort for Steve, Rose and the other moderators here to keep each brand section on-topic.

I agree, there is a lot of Nikon talk here.

Jeff
I also think it would end a lot of the back-and-forth squabbling among some members that has happened in the past and provide a more thorough experience for each brand but that’s just my opinion

This forum is about photography and technique as well as ideas on gear and such. Much of it is brand inclusive. My view is that we should keep it that way. We have seen those posting brand specific questions putting the brand in the thread title. I think that's enough.

I like having a single section for all gear and like @jeffnles1 idea of a general photography and general gear forum more than separate brand forums. I find that I can learn a lot on topics related to other brands because often the question is more general than the topic implies. I agree with you that it’s easy for topics to get lost, but I also think this issue is that many start a brand new topic for something that could easily be added to an existing topic. For example, many of the current new Z8 threads could easily have been asked under the main Z8 topic that is active.

I can tell you for a fact that I have talked to several people outside of this forum that I’ve visited as well as members currently on here and as well as members that are no longer on here they feel like if they don’t shoot Nikon their views, their contributions are less than. It is not my forum and all I was trying to do is make a suggestion so if it gets taken out of context, then I really don’t know what to say about that.

If time/energy is going to be spent on modifying the site I'd rather it was for better tools to only see forums we're interested in. For example have only watched forums show up on the "what's new" tab.

I dread when Nikon comes out with a new body. That ends up being 20 different threads and anything else just gets lost.
Just like what you were stating here. If I were to post a question, for example, about a Sony flash, it would be buried in 30 threads about a Nikon Z8 and probably never get seen. There is nothing about this post or the poll that is argumentative or an anyway inflammatory so if someone makes it that way then it is something they have done not me.

If time/energy is going to be spent on modifying the site I'd rather it was for better tools to only see forums we're interested in. For example have only watched forums show up on the "what's new" tab.
This was the same exact reaction when I posted a similar thread about a video section a couple years ago and as far as I can tell that thread is going just fine with no problems whatsoever and has had a lot of contribution for members on here

Just like what you were stating here. If I were to post a question, for example, about a Sony flash, it would be buried in 30 threads about a Nikon Z8 and probably never get seen. There is nothing about this post or the poll that is argumentative or an anyway inflammatory so if someone makes it that way then it is something they have done not me.
If your thread gets buried just bump it to the top. Its likely not getting lost due to the number of Nikon posts but rather due to lack of interest.

I can see how this site would be Nikon-heavy to someone not using Nikon equipment. I've also given it a lot of thought over time, even though I'm a Nikon user myself. There are some aspects of different camera brands in terms of features and usage that are universal across brands. So someone who uses a specific brand may comment on a specific action or feature in a camera that they use successfully. This then stimulates me to think, can my camera do that, and how do I do it? I have learned a tremendous amount over the years in participating in forums like this one, and It's easier for me to read a post by a Sony or Canon user if it's not segregated into a brand-specific forum. Once we separate forums by brand, it would naturally push one toward browsing only the forums specific to your own brand. I don't have the time to browse three or more forums on similar topics. Better they stay together regardless of camera brand.

Having said that, I can also see that there may be a need for a technical forum for specific camera brands where folks could post technical questions that they may need advice on with their particular camera. One would therefore have to carefully consider what type of forum to make brand specific. I would not like the presentation forums or the Nature Photography Critique forums to be segregated by brand.

Last edited:
This forum is about photography and technique as well as ideas on gear and such. Much of it is brand inclusive. My view is that we should keep it that way. We have seen those posting brand specific questions putting the brand in the thread title. I think that's enough.
Much of it is brand inclusive?

Have a look at page one of this forum....14 out of 25 are directly related to Nikon. That was even worse a few weeks ago when I think I counted 20 out of 25.

I understand why BCG attracted mostly Nikon shooters because Steve was primarily a Nikon shooter even though at the time of BCG forum's creation he was actively shooting Sony and even Canon. I actually found in the beginning BCG had a better balance. Now it is like a FredMiranda Nikon forum with all the same people on it.

That said, I don't know if I want separate sections by brand like FM. I'm undecided on that topic and it has been brought up on here before.

maybe just not enough people with knowledge in that area that you happen upon someone who knows the answer

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. It was just merely a suggestion. I feel like someone that has been a long time donating and heavily contributing Member should be able to at least suggest a feature without feeling like they have just kicked someone in the teeth.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter. It was just merely a suggestion. I feel like someone that has been a long time donating and heavily contributing Member should be able to at least suggest a feature without feeling like they have just kicked someone in the teeth.
Welcome to the internet! lol

It's interesting isn't it. When I first joined this site(pre Z-9 release) I thought it was the opposite. Every gear thread turned into an A1 discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back