Sony speedlights

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was wondering if anyone has purchased a genuine Sony speed light and how you feel about the quality of it? I purchased a couple of the Godox V1 speed lights and as far as functionality they work great. Having said that, I have already broken two of the hot shoes off the flashes and had to replace them and I really don’t want to have to keep buying $25 shoes every few months because of the flimsy design. So I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if other aftermarket brands or the Genuine Sony speed lights are being here in this area preventing breakage. Any thoughts appreciated

Flash is the last thing on my list to finish my total switch to Sony. I have been looking around and decided to just go with the Pro Foto and call it a day.

Flash is the last thing on my list to finish my total switch to Sony. I have been looking around and decided to just go with the Pro Foto and call it a day.
I’ve heard some bad things in the past regarding profoto and have chosen not to go that route. I think if I do decide to go an alternate route, it will be a genuine Sony flash. I just wish I knew if the base was more sturdy.

I’ve heard some bad things in the past regarding profoto and have chosen not to go that route. I think if I do decide to go an alternate route, it will be a genuine Sony flash. I just wish I knew if the base was more sturdy.
What have you heard? I haven't heard anything bad. Joe McNally who has used Nikon speed lights for years now uses profoto and even moose went to profoto and doesn't use Nikon speed lights anymore. Seth started using them a few years ago and stopped using Godox.

What have you heard? I haven't heard anything bad. Joe McNally who has used Nikon speed lights for years now uses profoto and even moose went to profoto and doesn't use Nikon speed lights anymore. Seth started using them a few years ago and stopped using Godox.
This has been a few years ago and pertaining to the Nikon versions but I've heard of some issues with the triggers and poor customer support. IDK because I haven't owned one but a friend of mine in NC had to send two triggers back to Adorama. Since switching to Godox from the Nikon speed lights, Ive never had a single issue and own two V1's, Ad200pro and AD400 pro along with triggers. The feet/hotshoe is the problem. Sony is well known for having a flimsy hotshoe so my dilemma is, If I purchased a 1k profoto speed light, is it still going to have a week hot shoe? IDK about the genuine Sony either but if that's the case then I'll just keep the two V1's.

So I guess what I'm ultimately trying to say is, I don't want to spend double or triple and still end up with an issue of breaking the hotshoe off. That would be really disheartening lol. As far as functionality, The Godox system has been flawless for my use. I can't find a single person locally or on here that I can ask about this. Perhaps you could reach out in your neck of the woods and get some info.

Last edited:
So there’s a thread on Fred Miranda about this very issue and luckily a link on where to order the new metal hotshoe for the speed lights. I’ll be sticking with the Godox.

Back