Sparrow pics always perfect. Rare bird pics look like Bigfoot photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences this? The other day I accidentally snapped this pic of a sparrow while adjusting my monopod. This is not the first time something similarly happens when it comes to sparrows.. Basically I don't even need to look at a sparrow, just press the shutter release and magically the sparrow almost always comes out near perfect. Meanwhile I can spend hours creeping uncommon birds and comparatively to the sparrow pics, they come out looking like a standard bigfoot photo. What gives?
850_0741.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Nicely sharp.....love those fine feather details! Hmmmm....perhaps it has a lot to do with the photographer behind the camrera?
haha,, Maybe.. Like I said, I wasn't even trying to take this pic. Happened there were sparrows in front of me and I was getting ready to snap some pratice shots for lighting adjustments, etc. Then while adjusting the monopod I bummed the shutter not knowing where the camera was pointed. I looked at the image and found this. I just laughed.. It was a moment of pure irony..

As mentioned, I think a big part of it is that they are used to us, but I also think that it's the photographer. I often see people in workshops make all manner of mistakes when confronted with a new specimen in the viewfinder. Excitement can cause missed shots. One rule for wildlife photography almost no one ever mentions is that one key is to remain as calm when shooting a rare, once-in-a-lifetime shot as you are when shooting a sparrow.

As mentioned, I think a big part of it is that they are used to us, but I also think that it's the photographer. I often see people in workshops make all manner of mistakes when confronted with a new specimen in the viewfinder. Excitement can cause missed shots. One rule for wildlife photography almost no one ever mentions is that one key is to remain as calm when shooting a rare, once-in-a-lifetime shot as you are when shooting a sparrow.
Steve, I totally understand what you're saying. Spotting a new species is exciting and part of the quickening experience (electricity running into the immortal after slaying his opponent) .. I liken the feeling to getting a strike when fishing for muskellunge.. For the most part I'm cool as a cucumber in the field unless I spot a black bear.. :oops: However, I posted this as a pun in that I wasn't even trying to take this photo. It was a complete fluke. When I noticed that it came out fairly well in light of the circumstances.. It got me thinking for sure.. That said, after hearing your insight, I need to start paying attention to my physical and mental state next time I have a cool bird in my sights.. I think you may be onto something.. :rolleyes: Thanks

Back