Splash Photography at First Light

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

David Berry

🇦🇺 Australia 🦘
Twenty minutes after the sun had hauled itself above the Pacific Ocean, Bramble Bay's resident fish hawk splashed into the shallow water about a hundred and fifty metres from me to grab its first feed of the day in its deadly talons.

Osprey with Fish : Bramble Bay : Queensland, Australia
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Osprey : Pandion haliaetus
Bramble Bay, Queensland
27°S; 153°E Zoom map as necessary. Looking north.
camera—subject: ~150 metres

Last edited:
Was the mentioned distance an estimate?
Yes, an estimate.

I've been looking through the photos and the LrC maps showing where they were taken, but it is just more confusing. A long way off, anyway!

Here is an uncropped (widthways) photo. To me, it looks like the width of the photo is equal to around 5 x the Osprey’s wingspan (8 metres, perhaps).

2024-02-01-055521-(4)-2.jpg

We must have some mathematicians amongst us!
  • Here's your task: how far is that bird from the camera?
  • The photo is 8 metres wide.
  • 700mm & full-frame sensor.

Last edited:
Yes, an estimate.
I ask that because I bought a range finder. It really enlightened me to distance. I was way under-estimating distance. I encourage every wildlife photographer buy a decent rangefinder and use it.
The distance of a normal city street is 24 to 30 feet, 8 to 10 yards. Many dozen city streets width from you to that handsome subject.

Yes, an estimate.

I've been looking through the photos and the LrC maps showing where they were taken, but it is just more confusing. A long way off, anyway!

Here is an uncropped (widthways) photo. To me, it looks like the width of the photo is equal to around 5 x Osprey wingspans (8 metres, perhaps).

View attachment 80522

We must have some mathematicians amongst us!
  • Here's your task: how far is that bird from the camera?
  • The photo is 8 metres wide.
  • 700mm & full-frame sensor.
I'm really liking this crop :)

I bought a rangefinder. It really enlightened me to distance.
Charles…

None of our forum mathematicians came to our aid, so I sought the assistance of an app called f/8 Lens Toolkit.

From reading up on Ospreys, I couldn't decide whether to settle on a wingspan of 1.5 metres or 1.6 metres; and then multiply that by 5 to estimate the width of the image (= 7.5m or 8m, respectively) at the position where the fish was snatched from the shallows.

It turns out that my estimate (guess?) was spot on!

Charles, can you share your rangefinder experiences, please.

… David

700mm-150m-b.jpg

Last edited:
Back