Spring/Summer Apparel Suggestions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for some apparel recommendations for spring/summer photography in New England. I’d like to purchase some reasonably priced clothing (earth tones and/or camo) to photograph birds in either woodlands or shorelines. Ideally, the clothing will be comfortable, cool, quiet, and waterproof.

Does anyone have any good recommendations?

Good shirts are ones from Tri-Mountain, Pella, Columbia. Very good ones have been Moose Creek and Dakota Grizzly shirts. These are earthtones and I only have a lightweight camo parka that is waterproof and used as an outer layer.

I treat all my shirts with permethrin solution to ward off ticks and mosquitoes and gnats. New England is Lyme disease country and the disease was named after the town of Lyme in Connecticut. Buy a concentrated solution of permethrin and dilute it and spray your pants, sock, hat, and shirts, and you will avoid most biting bugs. Add a bug spray with 15% picaridin for exposed skin and you will have a happier and safer trip.

I second the permethrin suggestion. It lasts a few washings too. In summer I like moisture wicking shirts and pants. Most are a form of nylon but there are others. I usually get mine from outdoor type stores like Cabelas. Stores that cater to fishermen and hunters usually have a good selection of styles, colors and price ranges. Some like long sleeved I prefer short sleeve designs. Don’t forget a good sunscreen at least 50spf. I also wear a “breezer” style hat with a broad brim. Keeps sun off my face and helps shade the viewfinder. Keeping sun off your head, face and neck is important for comfort and reduces chances for skin cancer. Sunscreen on exposed skin is a good idea.
Hi lope this helps.
Jeff

I third the suggestion for permethrin. Keep in mind, that's not supposed to be sprayed directly on skin, you spray it liberally on clothing then let it dry.

For skin I've been looking into a product called picaridin, which is supposed to be similar to DEET but without the greasy feel, and supposedly doesn't melt plastic! Regardless, I'll still be very careful applying it and keep it well away from camera and lenses!

Thanks for all of the inputs. I had never heard of permethrin. I’ll definitely add that to my list of things to purchase.

Permethrin Picaridin works very well. I backpack in the WA Cascades and started using it last summer on the recommendation of a friend. Very effective and much better than the gross feeling of DEET.

Edit: actually, the stuff I was using was the other product mentioned, picaridin. I won’t backpack without it now. Highly recommended. REIstocks it, among other places. I haven’t used permethrin.

Last edited:
Back