Steep Learning Curve Meaning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

bfs208

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There are a lot threads that complain about a steep learning curve for a skill. I didn't want to high jack any of those threads so here goes.

Most of the time when people complain about a steep learning curve they assume that it means a skill is difficult to aquire like climbing a steep hill is difficult. But the truth is that a learning curve is a plot of skill level (vertical axis) versus time or effort (horizontal axis). That means that steep learning curve shows that a skill is acquired quickly or easily. The hard one is the shallow learning curve where a lot of time or effort has to be expected to gain skill.
Here is a link to a good explanation.

I know this won't change how the expression is used, but I feel better already.

I'm reminded of a tee shirt I once saw a person wearing.

"Grammar Police, to correct and to serve"

I think if you reverse the axis on the graph in your example it will more accurately reflect what folks are talking about. Put time on the vertical and performance on the horizontal. Significant time is required for rather meager gains in performance. Where a shallower curve will show a more direct relationship between time invested and performance realized.

I think if you reverse the axis on the graph in your example it will more accurately reflect what folks are talking about. Put time on the vertical and performance on the horizontal. Significant time is required for rather meager gains in performance. Where a shallower curve will show a more direct relationship between time invested and performance realized.
I can see that but conventionally I think you see learning curves plotted with the skill level as the vertical axis.

I can see that but conventionally I think you see learning curves plotted with the skill level as the vertical axis.
Perhaps. Whenever I've given presentations where this topic was part of the deck, I always had time was on the Y axis and performance was on the X axis.

Just different ways to demonstrate a similar concept.

And where in this graph is the line for human ability which does significantly impact the curve, however you plot it. Human ability may be the biggest impact in my opinion, as some people have an innate ability to grasp software and for others it might take a much longer time. The inability of the photographer to grasp the concepts in managing software is one of the biggest impediments to success in photography in the digital age.

There are a lot threads that complain about a steep learning curve for a skill. I didn't want to high jack any of those threads so here goes.

Most of the time when people complain about a steep learning curve they assume that it means a skill is difficult to aquire like climbing a steep hill is difficult. But the truth is that a learning curve is a plot of skill level (vertical axis) versus time or effort (horizontal axis). That means that steep learning curve shows that a skill is acquired quickly or easily. The hard one is the shallow learning curve where a lot of time or effort has to be expected to gain skill.
Here is a link to a good explanation.

I know this won't change how the expression is used, but I feel better already.

I'm reminded of a tee shirt I once saw a person wearing.

"Grammar Police, to correct and to serve"

Good point. I guess I use the colloquial definition, that something is hard to learn. That said, Lightroom and Photoshop for example are things that you can pick up the basics very quickly, but you then slow down as you try more complicated stuff, as in I'll never learn everything Photoshop can do, and I'm quite good at it. So I guess Photoshop has a steep curve since you learn the basics quick but then it plateaus and you learn more slowly.

I agree with the curve as presented. However whether it is good or bad depends completely on context. If the curve represents one's experience looking back in time then it was a good thing. If it represents a requirement of something yet to be done then not necessarily good/easy. For example when new employees are expected to climb the hill of a steep learning curve. Depending on their ability it may be easy, difficult, or a quick path to the exit.

Back