Stitched pano of Godafoss waterfall iceland......flawed

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Viseguy

Well, learned you can't take time exposure stitched panos of moving things :)

_8525186-Pano-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Perhaps you're your own worst critic. Since you brought attention to flaw (s), I see the vertical line about a quarter of the way in from the right. One of my challenges with panoramas is trying to do too much. To my taste, the left three quarters would make an awesome photograph.

We are planning a trip to Iceland this summer. This image gets me more enthused.
We hooked up with a accomplished photographer who knew all the spots, and took us around the island. 12 days. Unfortunately for us it rained almost the entire time, so many dreary pics, and constantly cleaning my glass. I will be reaching out to him in the future for a summer trip for puffins....

That's really nice! Fixing the trouble spots would be pretty easy. Maybe content aware fill or patch tool in Photoshop followed by some hand work with the healing brush in normal and or the clone tool.

It actually took someone pointing it out to notice the stitching lines. But I agree with those before me, you can probably clean those up pretty easy in photoshop. And this is just such a gorgeous scene that it's worth it! Those soft green-blues of the water with the mossy cliffs is just beautiful!

Well, learned you can't take time exposure stitched panos of moving things :)
What you see as this photos flaws should tell you that what you did in taking it didn't give you the result that you wanted, not that it is a failure. The only way it is a failure is that if you choose to not pursue it further, and fail to change and improve your techniques and procedures for taking such a shot. Therefore, IMO, another(further) attempt(s) should be undertaken with different technique(s). As for my impression of the shot, I find it very inspirational, and beautiful.

As already noted by Dan (NorthernFocus), increasing the exposure time could result in a more uniform water surface depiction. While this may or may not completely solve the issue of visible stitch lines, it could make post stitching removal much easier. It does have the potential to cause another set of problems if the increased exposure times lead to great variations in scene illumination, so you must work quickly if the light conditions are changing quickly.

I don't know what software you used in merging/stitching the photos together, but over the years I've used three or four of them, and some blended the overlaped portions of the images better than others, if there is enough overlap between the individual images. How much overlap there is between the stitched images? Increasing the overlap of your images can help avoid the issues seen here, especially if the stitching software allows the level of "ghosting" to be adjusted when the processing is accomplished. You could also try another photo-stitching product to see if it makes a difference.

And, as noted earlier by Karen (Butlerkid), Bill (bleirer) and jadewolf, some more postprocessing of the water may help to render the areas of concern to be either less so, or of no concern at all.

IMO, this photo is far too good and has too much potential to be considered a failure. Please don't give up on it. Show us that you/we can take time exposure stitched panos of moving things!

What you see as this photos flaws should tell you that what you did in taking it didn't give you the result that you wanted, not that it is a failure. The only way it is a failure is that if you choose to not pursue it further, and fail to change and improve your techniques and procedures for taking such a shot. Therefore, IMO, another(further) attempt(s) should be undertaken with different technique(s). As for my impression of the shot, I find it very inspirational, and beautiful.

As already noted by Dan (NorthernFocus), increasing the exposure time could result in a more uniform water surface depiction. While this may or may not completely solve the issue of visible stitch lines, it could make post stitching removal much easier. It does have the potential to cause another set of problems if the increased exposure times lead to great variations in scene illumination, so you must work quickly if the light conditions are changing quickly.

I don't know what software you used in merging/stitching the photos together, but over the years I've used three or four of them, and some blended the overlaped portions of the images better than others, if there is enough overlap between the individual images. How much overlap there is between the stitched images? Increasing the overlap of your images can help avoid the issues seen here, especially if the stitching software allows the level of "ghosting" to be adjusted when the processing is accomplished. You could also try another photo-stitching product to see if it makes a difference.

And, as noted earlier by Karen (Butlerkid), Bill (bleirer) and jadewolf, some more postprocessing of the water may help to render the areas of concern to be either less so, or of no concern at all.

IMO, this photo is far too good and has too much potential to be considered a failure. Please don't give up on it. Show us that you/we can take time exposure stitched panos of moving things!
Thanks, I merged 18 pics for that pano and just used lightroom. I can do it again using Photoshop, maybe it has more options on blending the photos. Probably had about 50% overlap pic to pic.

Thanks, I merged 18 pics for that pano and just used lightroom. I can do it again using Photoshop, maybe it has more options on blending the photos. Probably had about 50% overlap pic to pic.
50% between photos should be very sufficient.

It is a good idea to try Photoshop and experiment with any settings that might be available. I have not used Photoshop in a long time, and do not think that I have ever used it for panoramic photo stitching. And unfortunately, I neither have access to, nor remember the name of, the old Windows based photo stitching software I used to use. Some help I am!

Looking at it more closely, there are many areas that failed, maybe a dozen or more little lines that are misaligned in part. I don't have a good explanation for it. It can be fixed, but you will need zoom in and hunt for those little areas with a fair amount of hand work with the various tools. Patch, healing tool in normal, healing tool in replace, clone, content aware fill, in various combinations. Could be worth the effort.

Back