Strange Airport Security Experience - TSA needed to swab my Z 100-400 zoom

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Both me and my gear have been swabbed over the years. Joys of travel with a knee replacement. I do pack things securely, but I also try to make it as easy as possible to remove/repack. I figure the majority of TSA agents are just doing their job and not trying to make it more difficult than necessary. TSA precheck/global entry is also well worth the $.

Never been swabbed that I can recall…and like you I would be concerned about a non photographer unpacking things…I would offer to unzip the bag after telling them how much the stuff inside cost and then let them pull things out if they insisted…but with my Nya-Evo bag once the back side zipper is open the camera compartments are pretty much open to view. Maybe I'll find out differently on our upcoming UK trip though…shrug. Mostly…they're just doing their job and I'm happy to have them do that even though most of what happens is a bunch of security theater rather than actually providing greater security since a lot of firearms get through. I would watch them and try to offer suggestions on where to pick things up or what not to swab like the glass…whether they would listen or not probably depends on how nicely one asks, how overzealous the particular TSA person is, and how bad a day (or night before) he/she has had…so it's really luck of the draw on niceness. Same thing with border guards…having been across probably a dozen different national borders between Navy life, RV life, and traveling and I have stories about a lot of them…Canadian ones seem to be the least friendly and most suspicious of all I've encountered but the past couple times coming back from up north into the US back in the 2017-19 time frame the US ones had gotten almost as bad…we thought that the Canadian ones were because we were US citizens and not Canadians but plenty of Canadian RV snowbirds told us they weren't any nicer to their own citizens. Always seemed to me that the border people are your first encounter with citizens of whatever country it is…and while they have an important job and need to do it and do it well…you can be efficient and competent but still remain civil and courteous and not be so rigid and unfriendly.

Last edited:
If you’re carrying , let’s say, drugs inside your big lens, then iit’s highly probable you’ll have some residue on your hands….hence the swab. I get swabbled at airports every time I take a big lens!

If you’re carrying , let’s say, drugs inside your big lens, then iit’s highly probable you’ll have some residue on your hands….hence the swab. I get swabbled at airports every time I take a big lens!
Hmmm, I thought they were swabbing for explosives. I remember one time the TSA agent in SFO swabbed my 500mm lens and was amazed that it was "just a lens".

Hmmm, I thought they were swabbing for explosives. I remember one time the TSA agent in SFO swabbed my 500mm lens and was amazed that it was "just a lens".
They are. The machines in the US will only detect explosive residue. But they are very sensitive and go off, on occasion, for no apparent reason. That results in further screening, ie pat down. TSA has no jurisdiction on drug issues. If they happen to run across drugs, there are LEOs in the checkpoints that they can alert.

I am not sure about liability on the TSA's end, but I've had my equipment swabbed at least 75% of the flights I've been on in the last few years, and I'm honestly surprised that that might be the exception
I am with Justin I just returned home from a longer trip and the one time TSA did not swab my equipment and pull my bag aside for a more thorough check was the anomaly, my wife even commented “that is odd they always pull aside your bag and swab it. “ In Frankfurt last week this happened for the first time the TSA person even asked me to turn both camera bodies on, hand them to her and then she looked through the view finders to see if they were working cameras. An online tip I read was to always leave your battery in your camera in case this happens at TSA , and what do you know it did.

I've had my hands and camera swabbed at a couple of airports. I told my wife I was glad I hadn't been to the shooting range for a few weeks.

I find most TSA agents to be polite but I have encountered a few real a**holes. One actually chewed me out for forgetting to remove a pen from my shirt pocket.

...In Frankfurt last week this happened for the first time the TSA person even asked me to turn both camera bodies on...
I know what you mean, but just for the record TSA is an American agency so you would not encounter them in Frankfurt, Germany. As I said earlier, the only time I recall having my camera lens swabbed was at a European airport, though I forget which one. I believe TSA (America) does collaborate with international partners, but different countries have slightly different protocols and I would be curious for those who have their gear checked if it happens more at airports outside the USA than at airports within the USA. (One example of different protocols is that some UK airports are now allowing oversize liquids whereas USA airports are not).

Surprised no one referred to "To Catch a Smuggler" one of my favorite shows. The TSA and similar organizations in other countries try hard to stop all sorts of things from coming in and out of the countries. Swabbing is commonplace. They are never perfect in their work but do a great job overall.
Best to All,
Vinny

A couple of years ago the TSA folks started to require having cameras go through the x-ray machine by themselves. I had some special camera/lens wraps and so would wrap each camera before putting it inside the tray.

With the TSA we are not dealing with the best and the brightests and many have a power complex. I saw them strip search a very elderly man wearing Depends at LAX which was completely unnecessary and very cruel. With the TSA folks insistence on x-raying bricks of film I stopped doing overseas underwater photography entirely. My transistion to digital photography in 2002 was easy to justify even if the first DSLR D100 left a great deal to be desired.

You can check items but there is a great deal of thievery with the TSA and hundreds have been fired for theft. Go through Miami and the odds of theft from luggage go up dramatically as everyone in the travel tour business knows.

Another reason not to fly if there's any alternative. AND, another reason to insure your gear -- if a TSA agant dropped your lens and it was damaged it would be a claim on your policy and your insurance company could later fight it out with the TSA if they chose.
Any suggestions on the best way to insure gear? Just through my homeowners' policy? Seems like travel damage might be an exclusion (lazy me - have not checked.

My D3 and a couple of my lenses have been swabbed by airport security several times -- I've always assumed all that gear looks exciting on the x ray screen. Haven't travelled by air with the D6 or Z9 :)

as long as they swab the barrel of the lens and not glass I don't carry too much. I ask if I can helped them open the bag so nothing is damaged. Generally they will not let me touch the bag but will listen to instructions

Any suggestions on the best way to insure gear? Just through my homeowners' policy? Seems like travel damage might be an exclusion (lazy me - have not checked.
I have a Marine Rider (what it is called) on my homeowner's insurance by state farm. I believe I am covered for no matter what. Of course if my camera is damaged as I am flying to my destination, that is not covered.

A couple of years ago the TSA folks started to require having cameras go through the x-ray machine by themselves. I had some special camera/lens wraps and so would wrap each camera before putting it inside the tray.

With the TSA we are not dealing with the best and the brightests and many have a power complex. I saw them strip search a very elderly man wearing Depends at LAX which was completely unnecessary and very cruel. With the TSA folks insistence on x-raying bricks of film I stopped doing overseas underwater photography entirely. My transistion to digital photography in 2002 was easy to justify even if the first DSLR D100 left a great deal to be desired.

You can check items but there is a great deal of thievery with the TSA and hundreds have been fired for theft. Go through Miami and the odds of theft from luggage go up dramatically as everyone in the travel tour business knows.
"...hundreds have been fired for theft..." Can you cite an article or source to back up this claim?

"...started to require having cameras go through the x-ray machine by themselves..." And yet myself and several others on this thread testify that we leave ours in our camera bags when we fly.

"...I saw them strip search..." Really? You mean they made an elderly man take off all his clothes in plain view of you and everyone else? I find this completely unbelievable.

"...TSA folks insistence on x-raying bricks of film..." I can tell you for a fact you have always been able to ask for hand checks of film. Also the x-rays on the checkpoints were low dose and would not harm film (until recently when more powerful machines were introduced at some checkpoints). I flew for years with professional slide film going through x-ray and no harm. Photo Marketing Association also tested this.

"...Go through Miami and the odds of theft from luggage go up dramatically..." Again I ask if you can cite an article for source to back up this claim? If you can, what makes you think it is TSA and not baggage handlers?

I have been traveling fairly regularly back and forth from Denver to Nashville and I have always taken some camera equipment. This time I decided to take my Z9, Z 24-70 f2.8, and Z 100-400. I had it packed in my Peak Design backpack and it was packed pretty securely and snugly since I had no plans to remove it during the trip. I didn't have any issues in Denver but coming back from Nashville my backpack triggered some sort of alarm. It was pulled aside and they had to remove the Z 100-400 and swab it for residue. What made me really nervous is that they do not let you assist with the unpacking and the agent didn't seem too interested in listening to my instructions on how to safely remove it. They then had to try to repack the equipment safely. I have had situations when they couldn't identify something during the security scan and needed to see the suspicious item but never have I had them remove something to swab it. It just made me really nervous watching them trying to unpack the backpack to access the Z 100-400.

What is interesting is that Nashville has updated their security screening areas in the last few months and airport security scanning is always changing but has anyone else had security eager to swab a piece of equipment? Is TSA in any way responsible if something is dropped or broken during their inspection?
I get checked often luggage or no luggage, so does my girlfriend, i wonder why.

Australia is the most lucrative drug market in the world, so we hear all the time.

I believe that the authorities, correct me if i am wrong, immune to any action as they are allowed to cut things open remove liners in suitcases etc.

...has anyone else had security eager to swab a piece of equipment?...
Consider yourself lucky that you think it's so strange. My camera bag gets swabbed nearly every time I travel with it. Sometimes w/out opening it, sometimes they do open it. Rarely do they take anything out of the bag. One TSA officer told me if you don't want them to go through the bag then you should take everything out and put it in bins. Too which I say, swab away!

"...hundreds have been fired for theft..." Can you cite an article or source to back up this claim?

"...started to require having cameras go through the x-ray machine by themselves..." And yet myself and several others on this thread testify that we leave ours in our camera bags when we fly.

"...I saw them strip search..." Really? You mean they made an elderly man take off all his clothes in plain view of you and everyone else? I find this completely unbelievable.

"...TSA folks insistence on x-raying bricks of film..." I can tell you for a fact you have always been able to ask for hand checks of film. Also the x-rays on the checkpoints were low dose and would not harm film (until recently when more powerful machines were introduced at some checkpoints). I flew for years with professional slide film going through x-ray and no harm. Photo Marketing Association also tested this.

"...Go through Miami and the odds of theft from luggage go up dramatically..." Again I ask if you can cite an article for source to back up this claim? If you can, what makes you think it is TSA and not baggage handlers?

Boy, I didn't intend for my original post to detour into an attack on TSA. I have flown a dozen times a year, mostly domestically, but usually once a year internationally. I have traveled with camera equipment in my carryon every time but never a long lens. During this trip, TSA was most definitely focused on swabbing the 100-400 that I had packed securely in the bottom of the pack. I had also wrapped the lens in the original Nikon cloth lens case that came with the lens just to add a little more protection. The cloth lens case was probably the problem, had I not wrapped the lens, TSA would have been able to swab the lens without needing to completely remove it from the backpack and unwrap it. I am going to fly the same route in the next few weeks and will probably take a long lens again so I am anxious to see if I get the same result.

Do you have a reputable source to back up this audacious claim?
Not really that audacious I don't think…but it's anecdotal based on numerous reports, estimates, and thoughts I've seen in the various media outlets. I'm sure that the TSA catches a lot of them…but anybody that thinks they get them all is engaging in wishful thinking I think. And following up on MartyD's comment…I wasn't attacking the TSA at all…it's a tough job and they do the best they can with the tools they have available and with the limitations that the constitution, Patriot Act, various other post 911 legislation, and other applicable laws and standards. However…I've never believed that any system is anything close to perfect…and even if they catch 80% of the guns/knives/weapons being brought through that still leaves 20% that get through. I know the far right claims that it's tens of thousands that get through…and that's BS…and the far left claims the TSA is the most efficient government organization ever…and that's also BS. The cockpit doors that lock so that access to the flight controls is IMO far and away the largest contributor to better aircraft safety post 9/11…yeah, the other things help but like I said…they're not catching everything. As a mostly center but right of center politically person…it's pretty easy to understand that both sides of just about any issue these days overstate the case for their desired outcome rather than looking dispassionately at both sides of the argument and seeing what makes sense…but I'm really not trying to turn this into a political debate either…I promise.

And regarding some being fired for theft…I don't know if it's been hundreds…probably not that many but I have seen reports in the past of it happening in the news. The TSA…like every other organization, group, profession, or whatnot…has it's share of good people and it's share of bad people and it's share of people that make mistakes and do things they shouldn't do. That's not a condemnation of either the TSA or any of those other organizations…it's just an outcome of them being staffed by humans.

We're flying from Miami to London next month and then back a month or so later…I'll have the Z9 (or maybe the Z8 if it comes), the Z7II (or perhaps both the 8 and 9)…along with lenses and batteries in my Nya Evo backpack carry on…so I'll report back later on what if anything happens at both ends.

Last edited:
You can get a rider on your homeowner's policy for camera gear (or jewelry or other high value items) to cover travel. You can also get gear insurance through some photo organizations, though you have to ask if the price if membership is worth the potential savings on a standard insurance policy (assuming that is the only reason you join). PPA (Professional Photographers of America) membership includes both equipment and liability insurance, though the latter is only needed if you are being hired for photo shoots. NANPA (North American Nature Photography Association) offers equipment insurance, but they are in the midst of a controversy due to a new merger with ASMP that the board secretly pushed through without consulting the membership. An email from the opposition reports that many members (maybe most) are not going to renew.

The lens probably looks like somewhat like a firearm or explosive device to the scanners. The extra attention might be due to some alert the public is not made aware of.

The only time I remember having any items swabbed was when I returned home from the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002, which was only five months after 9/11. Security at the SLC airport was extremely high.

Boy, I didn't intend for my original post to detour into an attack on TSA. I have flown a dozen times a year, mostly domestically, but usually once a year internationally. I have traveled with camera equipment in my carryon every time but never a long lens. During this trip, TSA was most definitely focused on swabbing the 100-400 that I had packed securely in the bottom of the pack. I had also wrapped the lens in the original Nikon cloth lens case that came with the lens just to add a little more protection. The cloth lens case was probably the problem, had I not wrapped the lens, TSA would have been able to swab the lens without needing to completely remove it from the backpack and unwrap it. I am going to fly the same route in the next few weeks and will probably take a long lens again so I am anxious to see if I get the same result.
I think a lot depends on the individual agent. To me, swabbing is not that big a deal, they just do it on the outside of the lens. The worst experience I had was on a flight back from Africa that went through Paris. The agent there would scan my carry on bag, insist there was still something in it, and have me take out more stuff and rescan it. By the time I had unloaded everything, the whole line had backed up. He then got impatient with me as I tried to repack my bag and started basically removing my stuff from the belt. He even threatened to take me into the back room for "further inspections". Needless to say, I have not flown through Paris again.

The lens probably looks like somewhat like a firearm or explosive device to the scanners. The extra attention might be due to some alert the public is not made aware of.

The only time I remember having any items swabbed was when I returned home from the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002, which was only five months after 9/11. Security at the SLC airport was extremely high.
Heavy glass shows as a very dark blue, almost black. The heavier the glass, the darker it is. This renders the x-ray view blind, as in there could be something in it, or behind it unseen, hence the extra screening.

Back