Strange, Rude Lady Yesterday

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodyg3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was on the bank of a local lake trying to be quiet and not bother a Snowy Egret I was photographing. Maybe 50 yards away a lady yelled something that I didn't hear. A few seconds later she yelled "hey, you! I asked you a question. What are you looking at? What is that bird? TELL ME!" I answered, trying not to be too loud, then turned my back to her and focused on the bird. Later I had to laugh. What a strange encounter!

They seem to be multiplying: I had a run-in with a woman the other evening who accused me of harassing a stressed bear: a) I wasn't: I didn't even realise there was a bear 10m up in a tree 15m away to begin with and when I did, I moved away.
b) she was standing close to the tree in question for about 30 minutes, talking to a friend of hers, so if anyone was stressing the bear out it was her.

She even threatened to call the authorities on me. I walked away.

I was photographing musk lorikeets in a suburban street here in Melbourne Australia, when a woman started berating me for taking pictures of people without their consent. Taking pictures in public is legal here, but commercial photography needs to be carried out with model releases. But my camera was pointed into a tree full of birds, and the lens was a 500. She ran off to call the police. I continued for a while, and waited to talk to the police, but for some strange reason they never appeared...

They seem to be multiplying: I had a run-in with a woman the other evening who accused me of harassing a stressed bear: a) I wasn't: I didn't even realise there was a bear 10m up in a tree 15m away to begin with and when I did, I moved away.
b) she was standing close to the tree in question for about 30 minutes, talking to a friend of hers, so if anyone was stressing the bear out it was her.

Oh I know her. That's Karen. Wow, she gets around.

Some people are "good doers" not knowing what they are talking about. Others are know it alls. I tried to be polite, thank them and extract myself as quickly as possible.

I photograph dogs. I was in Berlin on a holiday and saw an interesting dog and I took a picture. The dog turned out to be owned by a homeless person and she and her friends immediately began to yell at me. It was tense.

I was in Alexanderplatz, a large central town square and there is a police station. A couple of the people pursuing me put their hands on me, she was yelling at me non-stop, and so I decided to head for the police station while yelling "Help, Police". I also swatted away the pesky friends. Honestly, I think they were more interested in the contents of my camera bag than anything else, which is why I always try to close up my bag. I am just over six feet tall, on the wrong side of 250 pounds, and have the directional and navigational characteristics found in barges (albeit a very good natured one), and I am about as fast. So just keeping going to the police station meant that I had an entourage in tow.

So we arrived at the station, the friends melted away like Spring ice, the irate dog owner was ranting, and the police were asking questions (of her in German, of me in English). As it turns out, photographing anyone in a public place is legal, but the photo cannot be used for social media unless permission is granted. I was asked to show the photo in question, which I did, and actually, it was not a bad photo at all. The two police officers and the owner liked it. At that point, if I had been thinking clearly, I should have offered the photo to the owner but I was rattled so I just said goodbye and drifted away.

It's not just women. It's guys too, and around me, some who should know better. We have a bunch of professional-wannabes who pretty much shout everything they say, so much so I can be downriver shooting and hear everything they say clearly. My husband and I both agree this has taken away from the experience. They are there ONLY for the eagles, but there are so many other birds and waterfowl in that area that are fun to shoot as well. Many of which I can tell are there by their birdsong. Can't hear the birds when those idiots are all yelling.

I photograph dogs. I was in Berlin on a holiday and saw an interesting dog and I took a picture. The dog turned out to be owned by a homeless person and she and her friends immediately began to yell at me. It was tense.

I was in Alexanderplatz, a large central town square and there is a police station. A couple of the people pursuing me put their hands on me, she was yelling at me non-stop, and so I decided to head for the police station while yelling "Help, Police". I also swatted away the pesky friends. Honestly, I think they were more interested in the contents of my camera bag than anything else, which is why I always try to close up my bag. I am just over six feet tall, on the wrong side of 250 pounds, and have the directional and navigational characteristics found in barges (albeit a very good natured one), and I am about as fast. So just keeping going to the police station meant that I had an entourage in tow.

So we arrived at the station, the friends melted away like Spring ice, the irate dog owner was ranting, and the police were asking questions (of her in German, of me in English). As it turns out, photographing anyone in a public place is legal, but the photo cannot be used for social media unless permission is granted. I was asked to show the photo in question, which I did, and actually, it was not a bad photo at all. The two police officers and the owner liked it. At that point, if I had been thinking clearly, I should have offered the photo to the owner but I was rattled so I just said goodbye and drifted away.
When traveling in Europe we find it interesting how many homeless people have dogs. And they seem to hang out together in groups. We tend to go out walking early mornings before many people are moving about. It can be disconcerting to come upon a group on a narrow street where you have to pass between them. Hopefully the phenomenon doesn't cross the Atlantic.

I was photographing musk lorikeets in a suburban street here in Melbourne Australia, when a woman started berating me for taking pictures of people without their consent. Taking pictures in public is legal here, but commercial photography needs to be carried out with model releases. But my camera was pointed into a tree full of birds, and the lens was a 500. She ran off to call the police. I continued for a while, and waited to talk to the police, but for some strange reason they never appeared...
Mate you haven't got exclusivity on encountering frighteningly weird people, the world has been going slowly mad as there seems to be more and more of these people emerging.

My issue is walking through a busy town gardens with my camera, DF and 50mm, a man was sitting on the bench, on his phone, he had two ridge backs on Leeds, i didn't even make contact or go close and they went for me absolutely out of control, the man was heavy set and looked strong but he was struggling to hold them, he yelled at me to walk away now don't run, so i did, it seemed to make them worse, shortly after they settled, his wife came by took one of the dogs and they walked of. A gentleman said to me are you ok, i said yes, he said they jumped at him as he walked by and nearly bit him.

Why would you bring what seemed possibly blooded security like dogs to a public park, what about children.
If i killed one of them defending my self i would likely be charged or sued ?
I put the camera away and left.

I was in Spain on holiday in 1970. One night I got chatting to four girls in a bar [ they were Americans ] and they invited me around to the unit they were staying at. One of the girls dad owned it. Anyway I went to visit the next day. The unit was in a block and I asked a man coming down the stairs "where is unit 5?" He went to great lengths to inform me he didn't speak Spanish. He was an American. All very strange. The world was and is a crazy place. As I slowly drift into senile dementia I limit most of my conversations to birds and dogs.

I was in Spain on holiday in 1970. One night I got chatting to four girls in a bar [ they were Americans ] and they invited me around to the unit they were staying at. One of the girls dad owned it. Anyway I went to visit the next day. The unit was in a block and I asked a man coming down the stairs "where is unit 5?" He went to great lengths to inform me he didn't speak Spanish. He was an American. All very strange. The world was and is a crazy place. As I slowly drift into senile dementia I limit most of my conversations to birds and dogs.
They probably make more sense LOL

Mate you haven't got exclusivity on encountering frighteningly weird people, the world has been going slowly mad as there seems to be more and more of these people emerging.

My issue is walking through a busy town gardens with my camera, DF and 50mm, a man was sitting on the bench, on his phone, he had two ridge backs on Leeds, i didn't even make contact or go close and they went for me absolutely out of control, the man was heavy set and looked strong but he was struggling to hold them, he yelled at me to walk away now don't run, so i did, it seemed to make them worse, shortly after they settled, his wife came by took one of the dogs and they walked of. A gentleman said to me are you ok, i said yes, he said they jumped at him as he walked by and nearly bit him.

Why would you bring what seemed possibly blooded security like dogs to a public park, what about children.
If i killed one of them defending my self i would likely be charged or sued ?
I put the camera away and left.
That is worse! When you actually fear for your own safety as well!
I was approached by a grizzly bear in Alaska- there were six of us, and she just turned and approached us. She walked right past me, at a distance of two feet, and one of her cubs sat right at my feet. That was less scary than the dog situation you describe.....

I was approached by a grizzly bear in Alaska- there were six of us, and she just turned and approached us. She walked right past me, at a distance of two feet, and one of her cubs sat right at my feet. That was less scary than the dog situation you describe.....
WOW, did you freeze completely. They say to stand absolutely still is that correct ?

The Dogs were really seriously of the dial, and i can tell a loud barking dog from a vicious attacking dog.

I love dogs very much, its such a tragedy that the owner made them become this way and brings them in that condition into a public space.
Its not the dogs fault being the way they are, its the owner.

I lost all interest in any photography fast.

I was on the bank of a local lake trying to be quiet and not bother a Snowy Egret I was photographing. Maybe 50 yards away a lady yelled something that I didn't hear. A few seconds later she yelled "hey, you! I asked you a question. What are you looking at? What is that bird? TELL ME!" I answered, trying not to be too loud, then turned my back to her and focused on the bird. Later I had to laugh. What a strange encounter!
Yeah, as la551ve3 said, you met Karen then.
I have only one issue with your narrative. That was no lady you described. A lady is a polite, well-mannered female of the species. :)

This reminds me of the time in Florida, USA at a wetland area where I was trying to get a good shot of a very active little gnatcatcher that was flitting from branch to branch. As if that's not hard enough with a Z6II that does not have subject recognition and tracking, this guy walks up to me while I'm trying to get the shot and then wants to know what I'm photographing. It's hard to remain polite at that time.

Last edited:
Some people rekon 'social media' has resulted in a lot of social problems. I tend to be of the opinion that because everyone is entitled to an opinion, that opinion is equivalent to knowing what is the case. I recently read 'quantum mechanics and its role in AI' as explained in 60 seconds on the BBC. As an expert after my 60 second research project I'm happy to educate anyone that needs guidance.
Meanwhile rather than read the works of Shakespeare I took the opportunity to have my life coach explain the finer points to me over a cup of cappuccino at a bistro next to the gym I'm a member of so that I can wear spandex. Again anyone needing advice on midsummer night fantasies just pm me.

Some people rekon 'social media' has resulted in a lot of social problems. I tend to be of the opinion that because everyone is entitled to an opinion, that opinion is equivalent to knowing what is the case. I recently read 'quantum mechanics and its role in AI' as explained in 60 seconds on the BBC. As an expert after my 60 second research project I'm happy to educate anyone that needs guidance.
Meanwhile rather than read the works of Shakespeare I took the opportunity to have my life coach explain the finer points to me over a cup of cappuccino at a bistro next to the gym I'm a member of so that I can wear spandex. Again anyone needing advice on midsummer night fantasies just pm me.
I feel social media, has shaped the breed of many people we see-meet today, lately many conversations, debates, arguments seem to be often based on information from the internet or social media, where ever you go humans have there faces in their phones, i call it digital cocaine.

The attitudes of some people is bewildering, some are very smart and well informed, i think it depends on the maturity intelligence of the individual.

My friends daughter 20 was adamant about Tik Tok being owned by America, her full on geekish girlfriend said the same, they disagreed strongly when i said i thought its owned by a Chinese company.
They said how can you be so certain, i said it depends on what page you read on the internet. They frantically looked on their phones, and then there was silence, followed by an OH!
It wasn't that i was right, it was they were stressing out worried what their friends and followers on Social would now think of them being wrong.

The girlfriend said on another point she does pro photography with a Nikon system, she uses a D90 18-200 lens, i said, that's wonderful do you love doing photography, then she said and I teach my friends how to do photography on social..........i said that's fantastic, good to hear. She said I only teach using a pro DSLR as using a phone it does everything for you automatically. They asked do i do photography, i said Oh No.........i do everything on a phone like most of the world LOL.

I walked home, thinking, not everyone can be perfect, that i understand, i questioned the use of the internet and our devices, it can be used for good, or bad, its bit like a camera and lens its only as good as the person using it, so is the information and platforms on the internet, that said it can be a very dangerous tool, its the real influencer.

Its absolutely valid that social media has a lot to answer for, the one thing it does well is control those that taste it, and live on it.

What will AI bring.........advancement, efficiency, profits, deeper absolute control ?.

Like a camera its a tool and only as good as the person using it.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Ever since COVID began and the advice to get out and enjoy nature proliferated there are more and more obnoxious idiots out in forest and field. I've changed the areas I visit, especially on weekends, to avoid those folks and have now begun frequenting different locations.

Fortunately, now in most of the places I go there are few other people and they're usually easily avoided. When I can't avoid them I tend to ignore them -- no hellos, no chit-chat, no explanation of what I'm doing or what I see. If they think I'm a grumpy old man or maybe not right in the head because I don't acknowledge them or ignore them they usually go on their way and leave me alone -- which is just what I want. For the occasional aggressive dog or human I carry OC pepper spray and have only had to use it on dogs three or four times and never on a human in the 25 years I've been carrying it (I've been trained in its use which included having it used on participants, including me, and it's very effective)

I too find that since Covid it's been more difficult to find people free places to photograph. My tactics are when asked what a bird is, I reply,
" I don't know, I just take their picture" and avoiding making eye contact works wonders. I can''t photograph and chit chat at the same time. I
prefer photography to chit chat. :)

I prefer photography to chit chat. :)

That makes two of us! Or probably a lot more on this forum!

Even when I've visited places (such as some of my local state parks) where there are more people, the most I've really gotten is the occasional "I hope you got some good shots" comment, to which I usually reply, "Me too!" and keep walking. I haven't really had too many people come up and try to start a conversation. Maybe I'm in the minority?

I was out shooting lesser spotted albatross in a remote region of NZ in the 1990's. Walking back from the coastal cliffs I had to pass through a farmer's field. Thankfully there was a stile. Just as I got to the stile another photographer arrived travelling in the opposite direction. She was having trouble getting over the stile as she was carrying a large telephoto lens and the latest camera body. She was very attractive and in her early twenties. I helped her get over the stile. Amazingly she smiled at me, lifted up her mini skirt and took off her knickers and placed them on the ground. Still smiling she said:
"You are very kind, to reward you for your gallantry you can take whatever you like."
Well I didn't have much use for the knickers so I took the camera gear.

As Sun Tzu said in 'The Art of War' "Never let truth get in the way of a story worth telling."

Ever since COVID began and the advice to get out and enjoy nature proliferated there are more and more obnoxious idiots out in forest and field. I've changed the areas I visit, especially on weekends, to avoid those folks and have now begun frequenting different locations.

Fortunately, now in most of the places I go there are few other people and they're usually easily avoided. When I can't avoid them I tend to ignore them -- no hellos, no chit-chat, no explanation of what I'm doing or what I see. If they think I'm a grumpy old man or maybe not right in the head because I don't acknowledge them or ignore them they usually go on their way and leave me alone -- which is just what I want. For the occasional aggressive dog or human I carry OC pepper spray and have only had to use it on dogs three or four times and never on a human in the 25 years I've been carrying it (I've been trained in its use which included having it used on participants, including me, and it's very effective)
Agree mate, all the good private well cared for spots are trashed crowded, people leave their rubbish and dogs that poo and its not picked up till you squelch it between your toes, mate if it gets on social media your done for.
Paper daisy exhibition at the local gardens, one person climbs the barrier lays spread out flattening the daisy's to take a selfie, then everyone starts showing up and doing it till there all destroyed, in so many case things have been really ruined.

I like your idea of the pepper spray.

That makes two of us! Or probably a lot more on this forum!

Even when I've visited places (such as some of my local state parks) where there are more people, the most I've really gotten is the occasional "I hope you got some good shots" comment, to which I usually reply, "Me too!" and keep walking. I haven't really had too many people come up and try to start a conversation. Maybe I'm in the minority?
Try going to the south rim of the Grand Canyon with big glass! LOL Not that I have done that for a lot of years since the Condors don't hang out there much any more.

Dang…even closer than my 8 feet Brown Bear up in Katmai. He just ignored the 6 of us though…he was fishin'.

Back