Stuck Filter Adapter Ring

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gaknott

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I bought a set of Neewer filter adapter rings in order to use my B&W circular polarizer with my 82.mm and 77mm. Worked well but now I cannot get the adapter off the filter. I only finger tightened it snug enough that it would not turn when adjusting the filter. I have tried putting it in a plastic bag and leaving it in hot water, also put in the freezer for a while. Neither effort was successful in helping to unjamb it. Anyone have any ideas?

I bought a set of Neewer filter adapter rings in order to use my B&W circular polarizer with my 82.mm and 77mm. Worked well but now I cannot get the adapter off the filter. I only finger tightened it snug enough that it would not turn when adjusting the filter. I have tried putting it in a plastic bag and leaving it in hot water, also put in the freezer for a while. Neither effort was successful in helping to unjamb it. Anyone have any ideas?
Yeah, that's always a hassle.

The best bet is to pick up a set of plastic filter wrenches large enough for your filters. But I've also had luck on occasion just finding ways to get a better grip on the stuck filters and gently wiggling them as you try to unscrew them. A thick rubber band stretched around the circumference of the stuck filter(s) can often help and give a better grip. I've never tried heating them but have often tried putting them in a freezer for half an hour or longer but the key thing has always been a gentle wiggling rather than brute force to get filters unstuck.

FIlter wrenches come in different sizes and a variety of companies sell them but they look more or less like these:
Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 1.21.24 PM.png

Yeah, that's always a hassle.

The best bet is to pick up a set of plastic filter wrenches large enough for your filters. But I've also had luck on occasion just finding ways to get a better grip on the stuck filters and gently wiggling them as you try to unscrew them. A thick rubber band stretched around the circumference of the stuck filter(s) can often help and give a better grip. I've never tried heating them but have often tried putting them in a freezer for half an hour or longer but the key thing has always been a gentle wiggling rather than brute force to get filters unstuck.

FIlter wrenches come in different sizes and a variety of companies sell them but they look more or less like these:
View attachment 74119
Thanks, Dave. I tried the wiggling to no avail. I will see if I can find the filter wrenches on line. I had already tried a jar lid tool but that only gripped one side. Thanks for the quick response!

Back