Stuck Tripod Uniqball (UBH 45XC-2 Ball Head)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have a Uniqball head stuck on my tripod and I can't get it off. Would appreciate any tricks for ideas to remove it!

I have sent email to company but no response yet!!

Thanks you

Attachments

• UBH 45XC-2 Ball Head.jpg
    UBH 45XC-2 Ball Head.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 43
Can you describe the problem? Are we talking about getting it off the tripod? Is it spinning or just won't budge?

Last edited:
Would appreciate any tricks for ideas to remove it!
I've had a few ball heads stuck over the years. In the end it came down to brute force sometimes helped by heating up the stuck head with a blow dryer. A spare lens plate in the ball head clamp may allow you to apply a bit more loosening torque but you'll want to keep the ball head adjustments cranked down tightly so the ball doesn't just spin in the head with more torque applied.

It also depends a bit on the tripod, if it's a Gitzo Systematic or similar where you can access the 3/8" mounting bolt from below with a wrench you can hold that or sometimes even apply torque to that from below to reduce the tension on the ball head threads a tiny bit which may be enough to allow you to remove the stuck ball head.

Thank you for responding!

No screws on bottom of tripod.

Trying to remove
the uniqball head to put on another tripod.

The ball head just won't budge.

After this issue, I'm going to get quick release plate recommended on Steve's you tube video.

I'll try heating it up with hair dryer! Brilliant!

I'll keep you all posted!

This has happened to me a few times on my ball head and fluid head and two tripods: I use a rubber strap wrench to get them loosened—the wrenches can be found at any hardware store and on Amazon. If you’re unfamiliar with the use of a strap wrench a quick Google search will make it understandable. The wrenches come in different size straps and grip material and lengths, the one I have also loosens tight oil filters on my truck.
I wrap a small piece of cloth around the head before tightening it around the head to prevent any marring of the head….also, don’t wrap the strap around anything protruding like panning or adjustment knobs, levels, etc. Slow steady pressure should loosen the tightest head.
And Steve’s video convinced me to use a quick release system (I use Kirk’s) so switching between heads and/or tripods is a breeze.

Believe it or not, but if you can stick the tripod in the freezer overnight that will sometimes loosen up a stuck screw. Sounds like either some gunk got into the threads (rust maybe but probably not just gunk) or it may have been overtightened when put on. I second the suggestion of a strap wrench to give you some more leverage.

Heat and cold (hair drier trick above and freezer) usually work. Sometimes a little penetrating oil (liquid wrench, Kroil, etc.) can work its way into the threads and help.

Best wishes but as someone stated above, usually it comes down to brute force. Depending on the ball head and tyipod, it is either a 1/4" bolt or a 3/8" bolt. In either case, you are unlikely to break either off with hand tools.

Jeff

I've had that problem a couple of times. Eventually I was able to get it off...I was getting ready to fly home from Florida and the Gimbal was stuck on the tripod...concerned how I was going to get it home. I wrapped a towel around it to get a grip....somehow I got it came off. I had shot for a week in the hot sun....left the rig in the car. I think bringing it into a very cold hotel room probably made the difference.

With that said.....I'd be interested in getting the Quick Release system to prevent future problems. So a couple of questions:
1) Really Right Stuff or Kirk (I have a Gimbal and a Flexshooter mini used on an older Gitzo)
2) Could someone give me a link to the Quick Release system and the dovetail plates? I'm not sure which one I would need. I shoot a Sony a1 and 200-600mm lens.
Thanks.

I've had that problem a couple of times. Eventually I was able to get it off...I was getting ready to fly home from Florida and the Gimbal was stuck on the tripod...concerned how I was going to get it home. I wrapped a towel around it to get a grip....somehow I got it came off. I had shot for a week in the hot sun....left the rig in the car. I think bringing it into a very cold hotel room probably made the difference.

With that said.....I'd be interested in getting the Quick Release system to prevent future problems. So a couple of questions:
1) Really Right Stuff or Kirk (I have a Gimbal and a Flexshooter mini used on an older Gitzo)
2) Could someone give me a link to the Quick Release system and the dovetail plates? I'm not sure which one I would need. I shoot a Sony a1 and 200-600mm lens.
Thanks.
I like the Hejnar, although they don't have a lever release clamp. Several diameters available to match diameter of head base. I bought the larger clamp and a couple of sizes of the dovetail plates.

Link to Hejnar:

This stuff works wonders on any bolt or screw you think you may need to remove someday. This tube will last a lifetime unless you're working in a garage or machine shop. Otherwise, lifetime supply right here. It really does work. Just a tiny dab on the threads before you screw it in does the trick.
Awesome! I just ordered it on Amazon! Thank you!

Believe it or not, but if you can stick the tripod in the freezer overnight that will sometimes loosen up a stuck screw. Sounds like either some gunk got into the threads (rust maybe but probably not just gunk) or it may have been overtightened when put on. I second the suggestion of a strap wrench to give you some more leverage.

Heat and cold (hair drier trick above and freezer) usually work. Sometimes a little penetrating oil (liquid wrench, Kroil, etc.) can work its way into the threads and help.

Best wishes but as someone stated above, usually it comes down to brute force. Depending on the ball head and tyipod, it is either a 1/4" bolt or a 3/8" bolt. In either case, you are unlikely to break either off with hand tools.

Jeff
I've ordered the strap wrench! Thank you! 🤞

Jeff
I PUT the tripod head in the freezer --- viola --- the tripod head came RIGHT OFF!! Never would believe it would have worked but it did! Thank you all so much for your help!! I did buy the strap wrench with it and it was a breeze!! This forum was wonderful!! Thank you all so much!!

I PUT the tripod head in the freezer --- viola --- the tripod head came RIGHT OFF!! Never would believe it would have worked but it did! Thank you all so much for your help!! I did buy the strap wrench with it and it was a breeze!! This forum was wonderful!! Thank you all so much!!
glad you were able to get it off. If you don't have anti seize compound you can use regular petroleum jelly.

Just use a touch. What I do is get a small drop on the tip of a toothpick and then apply that to a thread close to the tip. Trust me, it takes very little. The idea is to put a little lubrication on the threads so they don't bind up. Some people will rub a pencil lead over the threads. The graphite will act as a lubricant too.

Thanks.
I acquired the Leofoto system last year. While I am pretty certain the quality isn't the same as the RRS option, it is also not nearly as expensive. That said, I haven't had any issues with it. It works. I can see how carelessness might allow the locking mechanism to loosen, but, so far, I haven't had a problem with it. I also suspect that that is an issue with any quick release system. And, it is functional. I can switch between ballhead and geared head quickly and easily, or change a head from one tripod to another just as easily.

Leofoto Quick Link

Last edited:
Back