Suggestions for Portland, OR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MikeJ

Hello all -

I'm going to be traveling for work, leaving tomorrow (5/23) and returning Wednesday (5/31). I only have to be on-site Wed/Thurs/Fri this week, and Tues next week. Rather than flying back for the weekend, I got approval from my boss to stay out there over the weekend (will save the company well over $1k just in airfare alone...aren't I the greatest?). So I'll have Sat/Sun/Mon all free to myself! Since the company is also paying my hotel, I'd like to keep my "basecamp" in Portland.

I've never been to the area, so I'm looking for suggestions. I was thinking of hitting up Mount Hood, and maybe Tillamook State Forest (unfortunately in opposite directions, so not in the same day). My boss also brought up Crater Lake (which I'd love to see!) and Mount Rainier...also opposite directions...I think I need more than three days!

For those that have visited these places, what do you suggest? I was thinking of trying to hit up Crater Lake and Mount Hood in one day...too much?

Also, for any of these places, will I need any kind of park sticker or entrance fee? I'm used to WI and MN state parks where you buy an annual pass and you can visit any parks in the state without additional fees. Also I'll be in a rental car so affixing a sticker to the windshield might be frowned upon.

And lastly - being Memorial weekend, are any of these likely to be packed with hoomans?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Columbia Gorge I-84 East of Portland for sure to photograph Waterfalls. Also the coastal towns of Canon Beach, Seaside, and Tillimook for the Beach Scenes. The drive up and around Mt Hood is beautiful this time of year and very photographic. As for Portland it’s definitely not worthy of its namesake (The Rose City) the last 5 years it’s turned into a dumpster fire. Enjoy your trip and above all stay safe while in Portland…. Btw… yes Crater Lake and Mt.Hood are to much travel distance for a day trip.

Thanks for the info, Vern! I'll definitely check out Columbia Gorge, and maybe if I hit up Tillamook State Forest I'll venture further west to the coast, if I have time.

And thanks for the warning about staying safe.

Much appreciated!

Columbia Gorge I-84 East of Portland for sure to photograph Waterfalls. Also the coastal towns of Canon Beach, Seaside, and Tillimook for the Beach Scenes. The drive up and around Mt Hood is beautiful this time of year and very photographic. As for Portland it’s definitely not worthy of its namesake (The Rose City) the last 5 years it’s turned into a dumpster fire. Enjoy your trip and above all stay safe while in Portland…. Btw… yes Crater Lake and Mt.Hood are to much travel distance for a day trip.
Have to agree with Vern. Crater Lake is beautiful, but a very long day since driving time will chew up a large portion of your day. If you like the beach, Cannon Beach is great. The beach is long and sandy (but might still be cold) with lots of birds near Haystack Rock. And the town center is great for a quick bite or window shopping. You could also drive around the Willamette Valley wine country around Dundee. Lots of wineries and many charming small towns. And heading east along the Gorge is also beautiful. A lot will depend on your preferences. And if you do stay in town, the Rose Garden will probably be quite beautiful.

Have fun,

--Ken

Thanks, Ken - the birds along Haystack Rock sound intriguing, I could go for that. Thanks for the great suggestions!
If you are extremely lucky, you may be able to see puffins. I have yet to see them, but they do nest on the rock. And sunrises and sunsets on the beach are quite beautiful. Search for Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach and you will get an idea of what it looks like. But beware there is another "Haystack Rock" down the coast, so do not confuse them. Both are big and photogenic, but the towns are different.

--Ken

I've been to the Tillamook, Seaside and Astoria area. Some cool beach scenes. Some sea stacks down around the Tillamook area. Not much worthy in Portland unless you're into photographing unusual people on the street. The countryside around there is quite beautiful.

Thanks Jeff, but I'm not really into photographing people in general! So I'll take your advice and hit up some of the beach areas, and some of the countryside. Sometimes it's amazing when you just drive and look around.

As much as I love Mt Rainer, I would skip it. It will be a zoo for the holiday weekend. And Paradise (closest entrance to Portland) still has several feet of snow. The wildflowers are several weeks away. However, if you like snowshoeing and don’t mind arriving very early, it’s beautiful anytime of year.

Mt St Helen’s is another for your short list. Unfortunately, the observatory is closed due to a massive mud slide. But there is still plenty to explore there.

For WA, any state parks will require a Discover Pass (day permits available online). For national forests (St Helen’s, Hood, Adams) then a Northwest Forest Pass is what you need (day passes available online). If you have a America The Beautiful pass, that works for national parks and national forests (but not state parks).

Thanks, @randomwalk, good to know about Mt Rainier. I was considering that as a possibility, but you're probably right about it being a zoo for the holiday weekend.

Mt St Helen's was also a possibility, so I'll keep that as an option.

And thank you so much for the info on the passes required. Like I said in my original post, I'm used to local state parks around my area, where you buy one season pass to get every state park in the state. If I get the America The Beautiful pass, does that cover all that the Discover Pass would cover?

If you get the America Beautiful Pass, it will cover everything except state parks. It’s good nation wide so if you go to a lot of national parks and national forests, it’s very much worth the $80. I think the Mt Rainer entrance fee (if you didn’t have the ATB pass) is around $35 just for a few days.

Unfortunately the Discover Pass is only for WA state parks so it is a separate pass just for our state parks. But a day pass is dirt cheap. I’m not familiar with Oregon but I’m guessing something similar.

REI sells it for sure.

Thanks for all the great info, @randomwalk! I think $80 for the ATB pass sounds like the way to go, I've been wanting to start hitting more of the national parks and forests, maybe this is the kick in the a$$ I need!

Question though - is the ATB pass one that you carry on your person, or is it like the WI/MN state park stickers that you adhere to the inside of your windshield? As I mentioned in my original post, I'll be driving a rental car.

One day trip loop that I enjoy is I-84 to Hood River with some stops on the old highway to visit some short walk water falls and Crown Point. Continue up to Mt Hood some barn and mountain views along the way. Turn west on Hiway 26 and take the side road up to Timberline Lodge. More mountain views and the lodge itself is very photogrenic. Lunch and services at Government Camp then continue on 26 back to Portland. Another day trip is Portland to Astoria along the Columbia River, visit the waterfront and state park. Down 101 to Highway 26 back to Portland. or continue down 101 to Seaside, Canon Beach and Hug Point.

Thanks for all the great info, @randomwalk! I think $80 for the ATB pass sounds like the way to go, I've been wanting to start hitting more of the national parks and forests, maybe this is the kick in the a$$ I need!

Question though - is the ATB pass one that you carry on your person, or is it like the WI/MN state park stickers that you adhere to the inside of your windshield? As I mentioned in my original post, I'll be driving a rental car.
No problem. It’s very portable. It’s the size of a credit card. If you enter a National park that has a manned entrance, you just show them it and your ID. If you go somewhere without a manned entrance, like a national forest, you just leave it on your cars dashboard. No need to adhere to the windshield.

Astoria is a delightful city at the mouth of Columbia River.
Portland offers great farmer markets and a number of characters
I think it is called Powell Books - great used book store (might be a good evening activity while working)
The coast is wonderful Check the tides and if you are lucky low tide around sunset with a colorful sky can be special. FOrget the name of the area but if you look up rock formations along the Oregon coast you will find lots of information.

That's great to know, Rich! I'm not sure what my hours will be on-site each day, so if it stays light later, I'll definitely try to catch a Pacific sunset.

There are many hiking trails in the hills above Portland. The Portland Audoban Society has a store there too. No need to go driving off somewhere far. There are also many birds along the waterfront and in waterfront parks in the area. Falcons can usually be found downtown. Suave Island northeast of Portland has public areas with marshes and ponds where you'll see a variety of wildlife including herons, waterfowl, etc.; plus its a scenic rurall area.

Back