Suggestions for Portland, OR

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you want waterfalls, plenty on both the WA and OR side along the Columbia Gorge. Silver Falls, a bit further south in OR, is a short hike but some good views.
Numerous wildlife refuges, again in both WA and OR. Sauvie Island is good, need parking permit.
Hitting the coast is a long day's drive from PDX although Haystack Rock (usually plenty of puffins - need long lens) at Cannon Beach is worth it, great sunset picts there.
As others noted Mt St Helens in WA, Mt Hood are do-able drives from PDX.
If landscape, going a bit south, have the vineyards along the Willamette, Trillium Lake to view Mt Hood. If into cityscapes, early AM or late night views of PDX over the Willamette R.
What ever you do, have a good time.

Thanks, @NWGuy! I'm definitely hitting Columbia River Gorge, and I'm not afraid of some hiking so Silver Falls sounds good. And I might try to hit Haystack Rock, do you think my 500PF will be long enough?

Thanks, @NWGuy! I'm definitely hitting Columbia River Gorge, and I'm not afraid of some hiking so Silver Falls sounds good. And I might try to hit Haystack Rock, do you think my 500PF will be long enough?
Just my opinion with 30+ years of photographing in the Columbia Gorge Water Falls and at Silver Falls State Park my preference for Lenses has been the 24 - 70 f2.8 and the 70-200 2.8 so consider taking a Lense also for that purpose. Oh.... going to be very-very crowded in both locations over the three day weekend.

Thanks Vern, I pretty much counted on hordes of people being a three-day weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have either the 24-70 or 70-200 (yet!), but I have my 18-200, so hopefully that will cover what I need.

But yes, the Gorge and Silver Falls are both on my list!

If you use goggle maps and lookup your hotel and then do a search nearby for "wildlife" there will be shown a number of wildlife reserves and the like in the Portland area. This is also a great area for waterfalls.

Thanks Vern, I pretty much counted on hordes of people being a three-day weekend. Unfortunately, I don't have either the 24-70 or 70-200 (yet!), but I have my 18-200, so hopefully that will cover what I need.

But yes, the Gorge and Silver Falls are both on my list!
Actually the 18-200 is a good choice for your trip as it provides a good Zoom Range. If time allows visit Bonniville Dam especially the Fish Ladder as the Salmon are working their way up the Columbia.

Here is a useful website for Haystack Rock https://friendsofhaystackrock.org/
I saw about a dz or so Puffins last year, check the tides so that you can get closer and also see the tide pools etc at low tide. I had a 200-500 lens at the time on both a d500 and Z7ii…just not enough lens for a quality image. But great to see them anyways!

Everyone else has already chimed in on the good stuff :), but if you can get down to the Newport area (it's a bit of a longer drive), I actually like that area more than the Northern coast; don't get me wrong, the Northern area is still gorgeous, but the further South you go, the less touristy it tends to be, and the more rugged it gets. Lots of high cliffs right up against the ocean, lots of high viewpoints, more lighthouses and amazing bridges along the coast, etc. If you end up heading that way, there's an excellent birding opportunity in the William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge, which is pretty much on the way to Newport, but it might be a bit too far for just a weekend!

In the Northern area, try Cape Meares State Scenic Viewpoint; you park basically on a 200 foot high cliff over the ocean and can walk right up to a small lighthouse; if it's not foggy (or the wind isn't howling), there's some great scenery, birds, and wave action all around that area.

To answer one of your questions, the coast is going to be *quite* busy that weekend; the traffic (and parking) can be quite heavy, so give yourself some extra time to get around.

Also, if you end up renting a car, do NOT leave anything, and I mean ANYTHING visible in your vehicle; we're having a lot of vehicle break-ins for even the tiniest of objects.

One more thing: if you make it to Astoria, have some grub at the Bridgewater Bistro (get a reservation if you can); it's a little pricey, but the food is excellent, and it's right under the Astoria-Megler Bridge, the longest continuous truss bridge in North America; you can often see large ships going in and out of the port and see (and hear!) sea lions in the area, if you're into them.

Thanks, Teddy, less touristy sounds really good to me! Plus how you described it sounds wonderful! And yes, I have a rental car, and I'll make sure nothing is left in it.

The Astoria-Megler Bridge sounds cool too, might have to check it out. And yes, I love sea lions, got some really awesome photos on my trip to Galapagos a few years ago.

Thanks, Teddy, less touristy sounds really good to me! Plus how you described it sounds wonderful! And yes, I have a rental car, and I'll make sure nothing is left in it.

The Astoria-Megler Bridge sounds cool too, might have to check it out. And yes, I love sea lions, got some really awesome photos on my trip to Galapagos a few years ago.
I forgot a few more! If you do end up in Astoria, the Astoria Column is a high-up view over the mouth of the Columbia River; you'll have to take some stairs to climb it, but it's a beautiful way to see nearly everything around. There's also the remains of the Peter Iredale, a schooner that was shipwrecked in 1906, just outside Astoria in Fort Stevens State Park. Potentially lots of good seabird viewing around that area too on a nice day!

I forgot a few more! If you do end up in Astoria, the Astoria Column is a high-up view over the mouth of the Columbia River; you'll have to take some stairs to climb it, but it's a beautiful way to see nearly everything around. There's also the remains of the Peter Iredale, a schooner that was shipwrecked in 1906, just outside Astoria in Fort Stevens State Park. Potentially lots of good seabird viewing around that area too on a nice day!
Or head to the Cannery Pier hotel and get pictures of the bridge from right underneath it. Quite dramatic, especially at night, if it is not covered in tarps for construction.

--Ken

If you want waterfalls, plenty on both the WA and OR side along the Columbia Gorge. Silver Falls, a bit further south in OR, is a short hike but some good views.
Numerous wildlife refuges, again in both WA and OR. Sauvie Island is good, need parking permit.
Hitting the coast is a long day's drive from PDX although Haystack Rock (usually plenty of puffins - need long lens) at Cannon Beach is worth it, great sunset picts there.
As others noted Mt St Helens in WA, Mt Hood are do-able drives from PDX.
If landscape, going a bit south, have the vineyards along the Willamette, Trillium Lake to view Mt Hood. If into cityscapes, early AM or late night views of PDX over the Willamette R.
What ever you do, have a good time.
I live in Salem and agree with your recommendations NWGuy. Each are doable in a day's worth of exploration. The days are getting quite long now so there will be plenty of light. We have a few wildlife refuges close-by. Many resident ducks and geese. There are a few bald eagles, osprey, and many hawks around. as well as smaller birds. Might even see a coyote or a herd of elk at Ankeny NWR and at Baskett Slough NWR depending on the time of day. I do enjoy Silver Falls SP. It will be very busy, but there are some nice trails away from the falls that are less travelled too.

Back