Suggestions - wildlife photography on Hawaii, the Big Island?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Might be traveling to the Big Island in the next few months. Anyone have any suggestions about where/what/when for photographing Birds and other wildlife there?
Thanks!

I was there last January, was family trip so didn’t take many photos. But for wildlife there’s few options, if your interested in a zodiac trip I’d recommend captain zodiac, black sands beach had turtles (area was barricaded for good reason) and there was nene geese on drive in. I’m trying to remember the name of the beach we were at, very limited amount of people allowed in have to check in at a gate and they give you pass, if there all out no entry is allowed it had all sorts of birds and turtles were all over the beaches (just have to be respectful of them). I’ll try and remember the name of the beach. Stop at Punalu’u bake shop! Most southern bakery amazing food. There is a bird photographer on the island that does day tours but I wasn’t able to go. We also did a cloud forest tour, was pretty interesting and the owner was very knowledgeable on all the plants and tree species. The two following photos are screenshots from my instagram so quality won’t be as good and there pretty small. I hope this helped!

IMG_0521.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_0520.jpeg

Attachments

• 817B8BD4D3AB44E399B177DE0D7FF485.jpeg
    817B8BD4D3AB44E399B177DE0D7FF485.jpeg
    774.7 KB · Views: 9
Might be traveling to the Big Island in the next few months. Anyone have any suggestions about where/what/when for photographing Birds and other wildlife there?
Thanks!
All the wildlife photography I did 20 years ago in Hawaii was done underwater. The situation is much worse today in occupied Hawaii.

Most of your wildlife is underwater in Hawaii. Turtles sunning themselves on the beaches is common on all islands in Hawaii due to the lack of predators on land, and they stay nice and still which can make for great long exposure shots. If you are lucky you might catch the endangered Hawaiian monk seal sunning on a beach as well. Although I find monk seals much easier to find on Kauai than the other islands. One thing I would absolutely recommend, even though it's not wildlife photography, is hiring a guide and walking out to the lava flows. Being a few feet away from lava is quite the experience and a unique landscape photo opportunity. I believe the lava lake in the caldera collapsed during the last eruption and is no longer there, but the volcano changes all the time, you will have to look into it closer to your trip. Seeing lava flowing into the ocean is cool too.

monk seal RS.jpg

Hawaiian Monk seal long exposure at golden hour

lava RS.jpg

lava 2.jpg

When with a guide you can get real close to the slow moving stuff. It's pretty amazing.

Most of your wildlife is underwater in Hawaii. Turtles sunning themselves on the beaches is common on all islands in Hawaii due to the lack of predators on land, and they stay nice and still which can make for great long exposure shots. If you are lucky you might catch the endangered Hawaiian monk seal sunning on a beach as well. Although I find monk seals much easier to find on Kauai than the other islands. One thing I would absolutely recommend, even though it's not wildlife photography, is hiring a guide and walking out to the lava flows. Being a few feet away from lava is quite the experience and a unique landscape photo opportunity. I believe the lava lake in the caldera collapsed during the last eruption and is no longer there, but the volcano changes all the time, you will have to look into it closer to your trip. Seeing lava flowing into the ocean is cool too.

View attachment 87738
Hawaiian Monk seal long exposure at golden hour

View attachment 87739

View attachment 87740
When with a guide you can get real close to the slow moving stuff. It's pretty amazing.
Brilliant suggestion/idea. Hopefully there will be some (modest) eruption going on when we are there!

Back