Sumatran Tiger looking into the light, image now appears

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello, I wanted to get some feedback on this one. The Tiger is in the "spotlight" with the sunlight coming down on it. It really really boost the brightness of the body.
How does it look? A bit over processed... Looks surreal.
Sumatran Tiger looking up 72.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I guess I would not say surreal. Did you sharpen it quite a bit? Maybe a bit crunchy in that sense. I'm not really getting the orange pop you describe, but you have to expect reactions to vary.

Beautiful image, for sure! Stunning head shot!

I would remove the oblong blob in the upper - left of center background. The totally black sides look too dark to me.....like an over applied vignette. Is there any way to lighten the sides just a bit so the viewer feels like they are looking through a gap in the foliage?

Also, I'd play with a targeted adjustment to the dark orange coloring on his back and shoulders to be similar in tone to his nose area . Darker just a bit less saturated. See if it works........

Hello, I wanted to get some feedback on this one. The Tiger is in the "spotlight" with the sunlight coming down on it. It really really boost the brightness of the body.
How does it look? A bit over processed... Looks surreal.View attachment 59002
I’m loving everything about this! I think the bamboo would have taken away from the main subject. For once, she’s/he’s not looking straight ahead.

Beautiful image, for sure! Stunning head shot!

I would remove the oblong blob in the upper - left of center background. The totally black sides look too dark to me.....like an over applied vignette. Is there any way to lighten the sides just a bit so the viewer feels like they are looking through a gap in the foliage?

Also, I'd play with a targeted adjustment to the dark orange coloring on his back and shoulders to be similar in tone to his nose area . Darker just a bit less saturated. See if it works........
Nice observation about the face color/shoulders. Now I feel like after doing that, remember the light is brighter on the face.

I'm a sucker for shots like these. I love to take advantage of natural spotlights like this. Nothing about this image looks over-processed to me. The only thing I would consider changing is maybe burning some of the surrounding vegetation. Even if you didn't however, I think your subject is strong enough to not let that vegetation distract. Nice image

Hi Robert.
Firstly I have to say that is a fantastic image, I love the look as if you shot it through a gap giving those dark edges which highlight the subject even more.
If I had one critique it would be to ask if you sharpened it as the lower part of its coat just looks a bit crusty compared to the fur on the side of the face.
Well done young sir 👏👏👏👏

Hi Robert, I can't send you a private message because I need to write 10 posts before sending a message, can you write to me privatly? I'd like to talk about this photo, thanks

Great shot! As for overprocessed, I don't think so. No halos or oversatutation in my eyes, so all good! I like animal shors that show the habitat, that beautiful tiger lives where it lives, and that has to be shown. The darker sides make the tiger, and the green background, standout. And it tells a story, a tiger in a dark forest looking at the sun and enjoying the warmth of it (cat stuff). The bits that need to be sharp are, some softnes only helps that photograph (not that I see any real softness so).

If I would have to point to something to improve, and that is basically nothing, very subjective and in the field borderline impossible, it would be to add some space to the right of the tiger. If the image was cropped that is, if not, that improvement is kind of pointless.

I'm a sucker for the 'glint in the eye' shots, and if you aren't entering into a contest I would brighten the highlight in his eye and maybe expand it slightly. The nape looks a little too saturated on my screen. Without loading the image in PS I would say that it's sharp where it counts on the tiger. If I had a choice I would blur the background just a wee bit more and maybe drop the exposure on the bright foliage in the background. However, I must say that I really like this image. Well done!

Back