Sunset, Grand Teton National Park

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DRwyoming

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Was out photographing wildlife this evening as the light fell and the skies lit up over Jackson Hole. Wasn't really intending to shoot landscapes but couldn't resist the colors in the sky.

Nikon D850, 16-35mm f/4 @17mm f/9, 1/160", ISO 1600
850_6674-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D850, 24-120mm @ 24mm, f/7.1, 1/160", ISO 4000
850_6787-Websize.jpg

Last edited:
Really beautiful, Dave. The skies have sure cleared in the last week and it looks like you got a little snow on the peaks. Very nice work.
Thanks.

Yeah, we got snow down to the valley a couple of times in the past week which really cleared up the smoke. A couple of mornings ago the peaks were brilliant white with fresh snow but most of that melted back by noon.

Gorgeous! Did you take the shots beetween Mormon Row and Antilope Flats road?
Thanks.

Yeah, these were both shot out in the hay fields South of the Mormon Row barns. Both of these were captured along the dirt connector road that runs from the gravel road South of the barns over to Kelly Warm Springs. I was photographing Pronghorn out there last night when the skies lit up. The colors came on fast and the trick was finding half decent landscape compositions on the fly. I usually take my time to set up the elements in landscapes but there wasn't much time as the color peaked and faded so I shot these handheld and just tried a few things before the color show wrapped up.

Thanks.

Yeah, these were both shot out in the hay fields South of the Mormon Row barns. Both of these were captured along the dirt connector road that runs from the gravel road South of the barns over to Kelly Warm Springs. I was photographing Pronghorn out there last night when the skies lit up. The colors came on fast and the trick was finding half decent landscape compositions on the fly. I usually take my time to set up the elements in landscapes but there wasn't much time as the color peaked and faded so I shot these handheld and just tried a few things before the color show wrapped up.
It reminds me beautiful memories of this landmark of your country!

The colors came on fast and the trick was finding half decent landscape compositions on the fly. I usually take my time to set up the elements in landscapes but there wasn't much time as the color peaked and faded so I shot these handheld and just tried a few things before the color show wrapped up.
The sky is what grabbed me so I tried a few emphasizing just the colorful clouds. Here's one of those that I like with the clouds marching North towards Yellowstone...
850_6667-Edit.jpg

Thanks Hut!
I was out walking Elmer and our location was full of beautiful light on the Shrub-steppe and those pink high clouds made me wish I had carried a camera. Glad to see you captured some great photos and the mountains make me a bit jealous. October is the start of our great sunsets. :cool:

Thanks everybody!
Dave they are both Beautiful, but I'm loving that 2nd Shot!!
Love those Sunsets DR - the second one does it for me All day long (y)
Thanks, after processing all three it's that second one that I'm thinking about printing. The clouds aren't as dramatic but the overall scene appeals to me more.

This is lovely light... the framing in the second image is simply perfect!
I know that panic that occurs when the light matures and you are not near your destination or any strong elements from which to "build" a composition. When these moments occur, the photographer's mind takes over as one searches for anything to capture the magic is unfolding. It is clear that you realized that the sky was everything, and you did a great job of capturing that beautiful moment (y)

Back