If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Was tracking the Caspian Tern in the viewfinder and didn't notice the (less than happy :D ) Herring Gull in the shot until I was reviewing the images.
term and gull sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Another beauty Steven - can you share general location? Province, park, etc?
Thanks. Near the Botanical Gardens in Burlington/Hamilton, ON is Burlington Bay, off of Hamilton Harbour. This was taken in an uppder dead end part of Burlington Bay in which to empties Grindstone Marsh which is the head of Grindstone Creek (? might be river). On the other side of this bit of water is a giant dead tree and there is a (permanent :) ) line of photographers just down the roadway from where I was, as in that tree is often often several raptors of a few kind. When I was there this past weekend there was just a single osprey that did circle teasingly a couple of times but never did fish when I was there -- the raptors apparently (so the many photos I've seen attest) routinely fish in the water right where this tern is fishing.

Thanks. Near the Botanical Gardens in Burlington/Hamilton, ON is Burlington Bay, off of Hamilton Harbour. This was taken in an uppder dead end part of Burlington Bay in which to empties Grindstone Marsh which is the head of Grindstone Creek (? might be river). On the other side of this bit of water is a giant dead tree and there is a (permanent :) ) line of photographers just down the roadway from where I was, as in that tree is often often several raptors of a few kind. When I was there this past weekend there was just a single osprey that did circle teasingly a couple of times but never did fish when I was there -- the raptors apparently (so the many photos I've seen attest) routinely fish in the water right where this tern is fishing.
Thanks for sharing. Although I live in BC, you never know when work or other reasons will land me in SW Ontario!

Were you using pre-burst capture on the Z9?

Thanks for sharing. Although I live in BC, you never know when work or other reasons will land me in SW Ontario!

Were you using pre-burst capture on the Z9?
No pre capture. This bird came into view for the 500th time and I got him in the viewfinder each time just in case he would dive; did this time and I followed (almost too long) in the drop before hitting the shutter. This shot is the second in a burst of 31 shots with the next being all but the wings above water then a couple coming out of the water and then the majority tracking him flying off with a fish in his beak. The Gull has this look on his face in all the shots he's in LOL
Oh and to be clear my tracking was keeping the bird in the frame; AF auto did the rest :)

Reactions: eft
That's no easy feat so congratulations on a perfectly executed capture and the excellent result !
Thanks. Been attempting to get the beak stuck in the water shot for a very long time so am happy with the result; the angry gull was a great bonus :)

Reactions: eft