Swamp Residents!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I hope that posting multiple photos/subjects isn't frowned upon, I'm still pretty new to nature photography and would love any insight y'all are willing to share. These were all taken at a fairly secluded beaver swamp that sees very few if any people per year, so getting really close to subjects is challenging.

1. Great Blue Heron
_DSC4028-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2. Red-winged Blackbird - Male
_DSC4372-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

3. Red-winged Blackbird - Male
_DSC4448-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

4. Beaver
_DSC4959-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

5. Beaver
_DSC5023-Edit.jpg

6. Common Snapping Turtle
_DSC3579-Edit-Edit.jpg

7. Common Snapping Turtle
_DSC3592-Edit-2.jpg

8. Spring Peeper
_DSC3440-Edit-Edit.jpg

I like #7 - a nice eye level view, clean composition. I agree that removal of the blade of grass would be nice - it can be difficult with simple cloning, but with content-aware-fill or other such computer aided techniques it can be made to look realistic.

Nice capture of the heron in flight. A softer background would have been nice but with that lens there isn't much you could do (except ask him to move further away from the trees) The black birds always seem to be yelling at me too. You might try to crop some off the right side to put the bird further from center and near the 1/3 point. Also might have been able to slow the shutter speed and reduce ISO to get a little more dynamic range. Nice image as is.

Nice capture of the heron in flight. A softer background would have been nice but with that lens there isn't much you could do (except ask him to move further away from the trees) The black birds always seem to be yelling at me too. You might try to crop some off the right side to put the bird further from center and near the 1/3 point. Also might have been able to slow the shutter speed and reduce ISO to get a little more dynamic range. Nice image as is.
Thanks for the advice, been using the lens at fairly fast shutter speeds because I just bought it used and it seemed like I was getting a lot of soft photos out past 10 yards or so, still kinda feels that way. I assume it's user error and not the lens but I figured a faster shutter speed (within reason) would give the best results for someone inexperienced that was trying out a lens.

Thanks for the advice, been using the lens at fairly fast shutter speeds because I just bought it used and it seemed like I was getting a lot of soft photos out past 10 yards or so, still kinda feels that way. I assume it's user error and not the lens but I figured a faster shutter speed (within reason) would give the best results for someone inexperienced that was trying out a lens.
500 mm on a DX body can be pretty hard to hand hold for any length of time. When I get up to that focal length, I tend to use a monopod for support and stability, especially for the perched or slow moving subjects. Overall, you got a lot of good images.

Back