Tablet to Download Images - Weight reduction options

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have not found the Photography Plan on sale..... The only one I found one sale was the ALL APPS plan.................... If the Photography plan is on sale, please post a link! ;)
https://www.captureone.com/en/pricing/capture-one-pro
IMG_2348.png

If you are mainly a Windows(Linux) user and looking into iPads for file transfer, keep this in mind:

Thanks for this reference. The OP in the linked Apple Community post had formatted his SSD with the FAT32 file system. Being all my devices are Apple, I format external drives with HFS+ or ExFat, which may be why I have never experienced a corruption issue in all the years of doing this. ExFat is also available for Windows users.

Kim,

just beeing curious myself here about your question I did a little testing here. Keep in mind that this will not be exactly the same environment (type of memory card / card reader) you are facing and therefore only partly representative.

Testing environment:
  • ProGrade 325GB Cobalt CFexpress type B card (325GB) r 1700MB/s, w 1500MB/s
  • this card was filled with '250GB' and 9'416 images of 'various' sizes between 6MB and 700MB (mostly RAW NEFs, DNGs, TIFFs, HEICs and with small XMP sidecar files)
  • ProGrade 40GB/s USB/C cable for connecting between card reader and iPad Pro
  • 11" iPad Pro M2Chip Thunderbolt 4/USB 4 with 2TB storage, 470g in weight
  • Delkin USB 3.2 CFexpress type B single slot card reader (up to 10Gb/s), model DDREADER-56
  • ProGrade USB 4.0 CFexpress type B single slot card reader (up to 40Gb/s), model PG05.6

Results:
Transfer of 250GB from Delkin card reader to iPad Pro by simply copying took 7min 20sec.
Transfer of 250GB from ProGrade card reader to iPad Pro took 4min 31sec.

I hope this gives you a clue on how modern tablets can perform. But as I mentioned above it very much depends on the hardware used (tablet, card reader, cable and memory card) as well as the image file sizes.

I use only a tablet for many many years now on my trips. I never bring a PC to my travels anymore as weight is always a point with the gear I use. My iPads never let me down.
My strategy is that I have dual cards in camera (the second one as backup = first backup). I use my iPad as a backup device while abroad. I transfer my images after a days shooting to my tablet (2nd backup), sometimes but rarely I use a separate external Samsung T7 shield SSD and transfer the images from the iPad to the SSD, when I stay at a hotel at night my images travel to the cloud (3rd offsite backup). Back at home I transfer my images from the memory cards to my computer and after successfully doing this (and backing up my computer too !) I delete the files on the tablet and the cloud.

I am not a BIF photographer but on some trips I can fill my cards easily too ;). Luckily my tablet never let me down and regret and I can view, tether and edit images on the go easily.

Andy
Andy - you bring up some very good points and points to my lack of understanding all the things that make up transfer speed. Here is my current setup and flow which does work quit well - except the weight:

Asus laptop - edits quickly but mainly use it to cull images (if I have time) via Fast Raw Viewer.
16GB DDR4 on board
16GB DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM
Max Capacity:32GB

1TB PCIe® 3.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD

1x 3.5mm Combo Audio Jack
1x HDMI 2.0b
1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C
2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C support DisplayPort™ / power delivery / G-SYNC

Sony CF express type A cards 320 GB and Sony card reader. On longer days I often will have 2 cards filled. I shoot Raw with Sony A1 - 51 mp files.

4 port hub - StarTech.com 4 Port USB C Hub w/ 3x USB A & 1x USB C - SuperSpeed 10Gbps USB Type-C 3.1/3.2 Gen 2 Hub - USB Bus Powered - Compact USB-C to USB Adapter
I plug the card reader into the USB-C port. I have two 4-TB Sandisk Pro (yep the ones that fail-had it happen-saved by a backup and why I always have 2) SSD that I copy to from the card reader. And sometimes have 2 TB Samsung SSD for those culled images - making a 3rd backup of my cherry picked images. I don't have the funds to buy enough CF-express cards to support a 5-12 day bird trip and keep them as backup nor do I have the space on laptop for same as a backup - so external SSDs it is.

It typically takes 5 minutes give or take to download 320 gigs to that external SSD I don't download to the computer first but go directly to the SSD. I don't see where most of the tablets have the storage to do otherwise.

Again thanks for the detail you sent and appreciate any insight you might have regarding a way to reduce weight given the type of data I am pushing.

Thanks for this reference. The OP in the linked Apple Community post had formatted his SSD with the FAT32 file system. Being all my devices are Apple, I format external drives with HFS+ or ExFat, which may be why I have never experienced a corruption issue in all the years of doing this. ExFat is also available for Windows users.
Thanks for this info....I format Exfat but this still concerns me and I will keep this mind. Thanks @Tony B for your input!

Kim,
Also check out a MacBook Air. They are not much, if any, heavier than the iPad Pro and I find a laptop easier to work with than the iPad also, apps like Affinity for iPad, Lightroom for iPad etc. have different interfaces than the laptop version. With the MacBook Air, it is the same interface you are used to.

I, also have an iPad Pro that I take on vacations but find myself using the MacBook more and the iPad is what I use to surf the net, watch movies, and store sheet music for the band sets.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff....I already have a good laptop for travel. It's just the weight....sigh. My power brick weights 1# and the laptop 3# making the total travel weight #4. What is the total travel weight on the MacBook Air?

I‘ve never had an issue with file corruption. But I format the T7 in APFS . I only deal with Macs.

Thanks Jeff....I already have a good laptop for travel. It's just the weight....sigh. My power brick weights 1# and the laptop 3# making the total travel weight #4. What is the total travel weight on the MacBook Air?
Kim,
According to Apple's website.
The 13" MacBook Air weighs 2.7 pounds
30W USB-C Power Adapter weighs 5.7 ounces.
Added together just a touch over 3 pounds.

iPad Pro 12.9 weighs 1.51 pounds
20w USB-C Charger weighs 3.8 ounces
total weight a little over 2 pounds.

There is a 1 pound difference plus or minus a few ounces. If you already have a laptop then it may be better to stick with a tablet. The weight of the Android tablets and the Apple tablets will be within ounces of each other. The MacBook Air is a sweet computer but no need to invest the money if you already have a nice computer.

To your original question, the transfer speed from a SSD to the iPAD isn't all that slow. Maybe a little slower than the laptop but the iPad Pro uses the same processor architecture found in their MacBook laptops. They are USB-C so the transfer speeds are good. I use a USBC dock where I can have more than one external device and I don;t see a lot of slow down. IF I'm transferring video or RAW files to the iPad's internal storage, I plug the SSD directly into the iPad. However, I rarely do that and just edit from the SSD. I have used the iPad as "throughput" to copy images from the memory card to the external SSD. That is a little slower than the computer but not horrible.

I was in the IT industry for 36 years. for about 25 of those years my company was a Microsoft shop. When I retired 6 years ago (dang, almost 7 years ago, I'm getting old) I went with Apple and have no regrets. I had enough of dealing with Microsoft Windows and MS Office apps "quirks". It was time to learn how to deal with new quirks. Every system, iOS, Android, Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux, UNIX, etc. have their own unique quirks. None are perfect regardless of what the "fanboys" try to say.

Hope you get it figured out. I have a MacBook Pro (a little heavier than the air) and an iPad Pro 12.9". It really depends on the mood I'm in when I travel sometimes I take both. The iPad is really useful I just don't like editing images on it.

Last edited:
I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ for travel. It's got an i7 processor, 16gb RAM and a decent size hard drive. I've got all the same software on it that I run on my primary computer. It's small, light and works well.

Kim,
According to Apple's website.
The 13" MacBook Air weighs 2.7 pounds
30W USB-C Power Adapter weighs 5.7 ounces.
Added together just a touch over 3 pounds.

iPad Pro 12.9 weighs 1.51 pounds
20w USB-C Charger weighs 3.8 ounces
total weight a little over 2 pounds.

There is a 1 pound difference plus or minus a few ounces. If you already have a laptop then it may be better to stick with a tablet. The weight of the Android tablets and the Apple tablets will be within ounces of each other. The MacBook Air is a sweet computer but no need to invest the money if you already have a nice computer.

To your original question, the transfer speed from a SSD to the iPAD isn't all that slow. Maybe a little slower than the laptop but the iPad Pro uses the same processor architecture found in their MacBook laptops. They are USB-C so the transfer speeds are good. I use a USBC dock where I can have more than one external device and I don;t see a lot of slow down. IF I'm transferring video or RAW files to the iPad's internal storage, I plug the SSD directly into the iPad. However, I rarely do that and just edit from the SSD. I have used the iPad as "throughput" to copy images from the memory card to the external SSD. That is a little slower than the computer but not horrible.

I was in the IT industry for 36 years. for about 25 of those years my company was a Microsoft shop. When I retired 6 years ago (dang, almost 7 years ago, I'm getting old) I went with Apple and have no regrets. I had enough of dealing with Microsoft Windows and MS Office apps "quirks". It was time to learn how to deal with new quirks. Every system, iOS, Android, Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux, UNIX, etc. have their own unique quirks. None are perfect regardless of what the "fanboys" try to say.

Hope you get it figured out. I have a MacBook Pro (a little heavier than the air) and an iPad Pro 12.9". It really depends on the mood I'm in when I travel sometimes I take both. The iPad is really useful I just don't like editing images on it.
Kim,

I guess Jeff has a good point here.

From my point of view if weight is really the main aspect that you want to lessen then a MacBook Air or and iPad Pro (or an equivalent other brand tablet or lightweight laptop) could do the trick. We do not know much about your workflow and setup you use except when you travel therefore recommendations are not that easy to make (what platform, what software you use at home, your intensions and goals, etc. etc.?). These aspects surely will have an influence too on making decisions.

But yes switching to the Apple ecosystem would be a new task, although I think it would be very worthwhile. I know others from the 'Windows and Android world' would oppose to that ... I don't blame them ... and maybe they even get in here and offer their help and expertise as a second opinion for you as well. I am sure many BIF photographers face that very same problem with weight and space as you do.

A new iPad Pro or MacBook Air (or tablet or PC) costs money, which we all know. As you already mentioned you use a nice PC. though one of my thoughts after reading your comment was, what if you could 'replace' that internal 1TB PCIe® 3.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD with a bigger one of 4TB or even 8TB (the latest supporting your full 12 day trips). A 4TB SSD drive would cost you around 300.-$, the 8TB is more at around 800$ currently. That would allow you to download your images (with only the Sony card reader) onto your laptop and keeping them there instead of carrying additional hubs and several SSDs with you. You would have to check with an IT guy or PC shop around you if this could be done with your current ASUS laptop model for that. But at the end you will not gain really much weight loss with that anyway for your travelling. Just a little bit less hassle.

So you probably won't have much other choice as of either buying a new tablet or a new lightweight laptop.

Now we definitely end up with Jeffs suggestions and recommendations (costing you starting around 2'000$ in a usefull configuration) or we wait for the windows gurus to chime in with their expertise ;).

Best
Andy

Last edited:
I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 7+ for travel. It's got an i7 processor, 16gb RAM and a decent size hard drive. I've got all the same software on it that I run on my primary computer. It's small, light and works well.
Do you have any data on transfer speed using it as a pass through to SSD storage? 🤞

You should be able to do it with your iphone with usb3 lightning adapter and powered usb hub. Speeds are hoewever slow over lightning connector, looks like around 2hrs for 128gb.
Hopefully new usb-c iphones will be as fast as ipad’s

You should be able to do it with your iphone with usb3 lightning adapter and powered usb hub. Speeds are hoewever slow over lightning connector, looks like around 2hrs for 128gb.
Hopefully new usb-c iphones will be as fast as ipad’s

Devil is within the details....Somedays I have 600+ gigs of data....at 2 hours for 128 gb I would be looking at 4.5 hours and then I need to do a back up. That won't work for my application. I know Dann Carr was supposed to do review of the iphone 15 for data transfer but so far he hasn't posted that. And for me, I do want the ability to look through the images daily - mistakes, areas of focus for the next day etc.

Devil is within the details....Somedays I have 600+ gigs of data....at 2 hours for 128 gb I would be looking at 4.5 hours and then I need to do a back up. That won't work for my application. I know Dann Carr was supposed to do review of the iphone 15 for data transfer but so far he hasn't posted that. And for me, I do want the ability to look through the images daily - mistakes, areas of focus for the next day etc.
Please check whether your current laptop supports usb-c charging and if so at what watts. Most 10th gen & up on intel does. Asus bricks are large where have stand-alone graphics cards, but works fine on 60-80w small usb-c chargers when doing normal tasks not using external gpu. My wifes dell complains but runs fine on a 30w usb-c ipad charger for outlook & word.

edit - kim, I see your laptop spec list pd charging on usb-c, so is supported.

Last edited:
For ‘me’ such a workflow wouldn’t work either. Why not look for a tablet or lightweight laptop with enough disk space inside? iPad Pro as well as MacBook Air can be bought with 2TB (other solutions surely offer similar space). This would allow you to transfer from card reader to e.g. a tablet for 3-4 days (3x600GB). As you want to check your images anyway in between you could cull them directly on the device. Keep the keepers there and backup those to an external SSD afterwards as well, delete everything else that goes anyway to the trash. No need for a hub in between and transfering endlessly to attached SSDs. Tablets and PCs have nice and usefull displays that make culling and editing possible. I wouldn’t say this for a phone, for me they are simply to small.
This would be my workflow (and it actually is). But that’s just my opinion and the way it works for me well.

Please check whether your current laptop supports usb-c charging and if so at what watts. Most 10th gen & up on intel does. Asus bricks are large where have stand-alone graphics cards, but works fine on 60-80w small usb-c chargers when doing normal tasks not using external gpu. My wifes dell complains but runs fine on a 30w usb-c ipad charger for outlook & word.

edit - kim, I see your laptop spec list pd charging on usb-c, so is supported.
This is great option! I will definitely see what I can get away with for power supply.
Thanks!

For ‘me’ such a workflow wouldn’t work either. Why not look for a tablet or lightweight laptop with enough disk space inside? iPad Pro as well as MacBook Air can be bought with 2TB (other solutions surely offer similar space). This would allow you to transfer from card reader to e.g. a tablet for 3-4 days (3x600GB). As you want to check your images anyway in between you could cull them directly on the device. Keep the keepers there and backup those to an external SSD afterwards as well, delete everything else that goes anyway to the trash. No need for a hub in between and transfering endlessly to attached SSDs. Tablets and PCs have nice and usefull displays that make culling and editing possible. I wouldn’t say this for a phone, for me they are simply to small.
This would be my workflow (and it actually is). But that’s just my opinion and the way it works for me well.
Great idea! My keep everything because I’m usually tired at the end of a day and make bad decisions side is a bit anxious. But a few times in and it usually settles.

Before I know it, I’ll be leaving everything at home, take my iPhone and call it a day…🤣
Seriously, thanks for the ideas! My ruts can get deep.

Thanks so much to all who have chimed in. I have learned a lot. I am traveling next 2 weeks to central Europe. Time gets away so may not get back here as frequently as I would like. But I will check.

Back