Take Off!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

markymark

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I like to take images that include subjects in water as the effects they can can sometimes have on it can be quite nice.
I managed to capture this image of the Swan taking off & because the background was in heavy shade was able to darken it out which highlighted the water splashes & droplets against the dark background.
Hope you like it & feedback as always would be welcomed. Thanks.
MGP_0897.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Lovely and powerful
shutter speed fast enough to freeze the bird and droplets, it gives you a very good idea of the immense energy the bird releases to get airborne.
The idea with the dark (black) background gets the swan fully isolated, cannot be in doubt what the subject is.
The blurry reflection gives another angle to the performance, it also stirs up the water.

Lovely and powerful
shutter speed fast enough to freeze the bird and droplets, it gives you a very good idea of the immense energy the bird releases to get airborne.
The idea with the dark (black) background gets the swan fully isolated, cannot be in doubt what the subject is.
The blurry reflection gives another angle to the performance, it also stirs up the water.
Thanks Niels👍

Intentionally under exposing the BG is one of my favorite techniques. And you pulled it off to perfection here. And no there's no better subject than a white bird and splashing water to make it truly dramatic. You did your part well. The bird on the other hand isn't revealing its feet as well as one would like. Actually the position of the feet and splash pattern looks more like it's landing than taking off.

This is my take on Mute Swan on full take off mode, during a Solar eclipse.. As the light dropped quickly all went quiet ... Suddenly a lone adult Mute Swan launched into a full run across the lake Wings exploding and frantic feet propelling the swan off the surface..... such is the magnificence and power of this wonderful water bird..

Intentionally under exposing the BG is one of my favorite techniques. And you pulled it off to perfection here. And no there's no better subject than a white bird and splashing water to make it truly dramatic. You did your part well. The bird on the other hand isn't revealing its feet as well as one would like. Actually the position of the feet and splash pattern looks more like it's landing than taking off.
Thanks NF.
I agree about the feet as they seem to get lost in the splash of the water & darkness of the background.

This is my take on Mute Swan on full take off mode, during a Solar eclipse.. As the light dropped quickly all went quiet ... Suddenly a lone adult Mute Swan launched into a full run across the lake Wings exploding and frantic feet propelling the swan off the surface..... such is the magnificence and power of this wonderful water bird..
Lovely shot Rob. 👍

Thank you Mark. I loved your Swan imagery, loved the BG approach..
Thanks Rob, I love taking images of wildlife that involve water & capturing the devastating affect they can have on it especially when taking off.
Yours is an exceptional shot considering the circumstances of being in the process of a solar eclipse, I bet you couldn’t believe it when the Swan started to take off! 😍

I like to take images that include subjects in water as the effects they can can sometimes have on it can be quite nice.
I managed to capture this image of the Swan taking off & because the background was in heavy shade was able to darken it out which highlighted the water splashes & droplets against the dark background.
Hope you like it & feedback as always would be welcomed. Thanks.
View attachment 15084
Thanks Rob, I love taking images of wildlife that involve water & capturing the devastating affect they can have on it especially when taking off.
Yours is an exceptional shot considering the circumstances of being in the process of a solar eclipse, I bet you couldn’t believe it when the Swan started to take off! 😍
Thank you, it truly was an amazing ten minutes.. everything went silent.. then the Swan started its run which seemed even louder under those conditions..
keep doing what you’re doing Mark..

Hey Rob, noticed you only joined yesterday so welcome to BCG.
The BCG Forum is filled with some really knowledgeable photographers that have really helped me since I joined.
Really looking forward to seeing more of your images.

Hey Rob, noticed you only joined yesterday so welcome to BCG.
The BCG Forum is filled with some really knowledgeable photographers that have really helped me since I joined.
Really looking forward to seeing more of your images.
Hi Mark. Yes I’ve followed BCG for a long time, Steve’s a great educator presenter and Tog. I’ve read and seen some really good stuff here. I followed you. Keep in contact.

Mark, I love the dark background which sets the swan off a treat. The position of the wings is very effective. The water droplets are captured well and the reflection adds to the total picture. It's a little bit different and that always grabs my attention.
All in all I think it's a damned good photo!

Mark, I love the dark background which sets the swan off a treat. The position of the wings is very effective. The water droplets are captured well and the reflection adds to the total picture. It's a little bit different and that always grabs my attention.
All in all I think it's a damned good photo!
Thanks Gongster. Really appreciate the comment. 👍

Hi Mark. Yes I’ve followed BCG for a long time, Steve’s a great educator presenter and Tog. I’ve read and seen some really good stuff here. I followed you. Keep in contact.
Will do & followed you too. With Spring on us & with Britain slowly easing lockdown I’m looking forward to getting out a bit more. Take care mate.

Back