Telephoto for Queensland

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I think it's the right decision. Do a bit of testing of you 500 + 1.4x TC so as to see how it performs.
I tested the combo in Sri Lanka a lot and was very happy with the sharpness. I read somewhere that using Normal is better than Sport for steady AF. I got out my lens and Z9 and realized I had switched the option to Sport. I can't hold the lens steady with it. Switched to Normal and lo and behold, VR was great. Having inadvertently put it on Sport was what created my dissatisfaction with the lens. Live and learn!

I tested the combo in Sri Lanka a lot and was very happy with the sharpness. I read somewhere that using Normal is better than Sport for steady AF. I got out my lens and Z9 and realized I had switched the option to Sport. I can't hold the lens steady with it. Switched to Normal and lo and behold, VR was great. Having inadvertently put it on Sport was what created my dissatisfaction with the lens. Live and learn!
Yes, normal mode VR is better than sport. I rarely use sport.

You do know that you will arrive in my home state in our rainy season, read Cyclone. Qld is a big place so it depends on where you are going but for handheld your options seem sound. If you had a rough itinerary I could be more specific. At present, we are in a big dry but the birdlife is still about.

Rockhampton

If you get to Toowoomba the above is info. If you do get to Toowoomba call in and I'll introduce you to my Cocky mates. The King parrots are best early morning, Scally Breasted and Rainbows mid-late afternoon.
Highfields waterfall is best for birds. The waterfall is big, equivalent to a couple of kitchen sinks emptying, but the birds are good.

Check out O'Reilly's. If you are lucky you might get photos of the Lyre bird. It is only found in Lamington National Park [ O'Reilly's ]. If you are very lucky you will see a Rifle bird.

I'm told the Atherton Tablelands are good but I've never been there.
Thanks for the offer to show me some local birds. I will problably take you up on it.

Not sure where in Queensland you are heading, it is a big state. If you check out eBird it will show you the hotspots and have what birds you are likely to find. Bird sizes vary from large (Cassowary) to tiny (wrens) and everything in between. In and around Brisbane there are many locations that are also popular walking tracks. While this has some disadvantages it also means that the birds are use to people, and you can get quite close, 2-3m at times. Oxley Common is one such spot. Remember you will be here in the middle of our wet season. Enjoy your trip.

Not sure where in Queensland you are heading, it is a big state. If you check out eBird it will show you the hotspots and have what birds you are likely to find. Bird sizes vary from large (Cassowary) to tiny (wrens) and everything in between. In and around Brisbane there are many locations that are also popular walking tracks. While this has some disadvantages it also means that the birds are use to people, and you can get quite close, 2-3m at times. Oxley Common is one such spot. Remember you will be here in the middle of our wet season. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea you can get closer to the birds.

Back