Tetons and Horses B&W - Yellowstone National Park

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I took this picture of the Grand Tetons back in June of 2020 but recently converted it to black and white and experimented with Silver Efex Pro 3. If you look closely you can see two of the stallions fighting.
Tetons-and-Horses-B&W.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

• Camera: NIKON CORPORATION NIKON D5100 | Lens: NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4 S | Focal Length: 86mm | Shutter Speed: 1/320 | F/Stop: F/9 | ISO: 100 | Exposure Bias: 0

Last edited:
Cool picture. Though I can't think of anywhere in Yellowstone that picture could be taken. Do you remember the details of where you were?

Cool picture. Though I can't think of anywhere in Yellowstone that picture could be taken. Do you remember the details of where you were?

It's the Tetons...most likely not stallions but a herd of pastured horses from what I know, thus not stallions, just sparring among friends. I have not heard of a herd of wild horses in the Tetons.

It's the Tetons...most likely not stallions but a herd of pastured horses from what I know, thus not stallions, just sparring among friends. I have not heard of a herd of wild horses in the Tetons.
I thought males were called stallions whether they are domestic or feral (what you call wild)? According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, a stallion is an uncastrated male horse.
It could be a regional thing. Maybe in some parts of the country, or among some groups of people (ranchers?), stallion implies feral/wild? It's an interesting side topic, but in either case I doubt the thread starter meant to imply they were not pastured/domestic.

Nice photo btw.

I thought males were called stallions whether they are domestic or feral (what you call wild)? According to Merriam-Webster dictionary, a stallion is an uncastrated male horse.
It could be a regional thing. Maybe in some parts of the country, or among some groups of people (ranchers?), stallion implies feral/wild? It's an interesting side topic, but in either case I doubt the thread starter meant to imply they were not pastured/domestic.

Nice photo btw.

They could be anything, but most people who own horses castrate the male horses so as to not have problems. Breeders keep their male horses intact for a purpose. A castrated horse is called a gelding, not a stallion. It would be unusual to put a domestic herd in a pasture with a stallion, most people breed these days, I think, by insemination...but it's been awhile since I've been around horses. I've taken this shot several times as I've been in the Teton NP maybe four times now. The horses are always there, or so it seems. Perhaps the original poster has first-hand information on the herd. And, yes, a stallion is a stallion, domestic or wild. I did not mean to make an issue of this, it was just a simple comment.

Back