The Basics: Essential Gear for the Beginner to Wildlife Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Have just started scratching the surface on wildlife photography, it is impressive the amount of knowledge and years of expertise that members of this forum provide for a variety of topics related to landscape and wildlife photography. As a beginner to the art of wildlife photography, what would members recommend as the essential tools/euipment for someone just starting out. With all the accessories and gear avaialbe it sometimes can be overwhelming on what the "Basic Essential Gear/Equipment", excluding camera body and lenses, is needed for all wildlife photographers.

First, sit back and think about what kind of wildlife you want to photograph. The gear for large mammals is different than for warblers/swallows in flight. Define your objects.

Then define your budget. Are you willing to use a tripod or do you want to hand hold the camera body and lens? Will you be shooting at the break of day and late in the evening?

Once you give us this information, we can make reasonable suggestions for you to consider.

We can recommend gear costing several thousands of dollars.....but is that realistic?

Have just started scratching the surface on wildlife photography, it is impressive the amount of knowledge and years of expertise that members of this forum provide for a variety of topics related to landscape and wildlife photography. As a beginner to the art of wildlife photography, what would members recommend as the essential tools/euipment for someone just starting out. With all the accessories and gear avaialbe it sometimes can be overwhelming on what the "Basic Essential Gear/Equipment" is needed for all wildlife photographers. Thanks.
That's a big subject and you're likely to get a variety of conflicting opinions which is par for the course on Internet forums.

My take on it is start with what your budget allows. If you have a lot of disposable income then sure, buy high end stuff with great features but when many of us started out we took it in stages, bought what we could afford and justify, mastered that gear or reached a point where our gear was limiting our abilities more than other things like field skills and understanding of camera controls, light and the like and then upgraded as we could afford.

Exactly what gear depends a lot on your budget, your experience in photography of any kind and the sort of wildlife subjects you hope to photograph as well as how close you expect to get to them at the start. I know some working biologists that can get by with fairly modest focal length lenses but they work very close to wildlife and have an entire career in understanding wildlife behavior and knowing how to get closer which changes things a lot.

The main thing is not the specific kit you buy though a long focal length lens is pretty much a ticket to entry for wildlife work unless you can reliably get very close to your subjects. The main thing is to get a workable kit, ideally based on gear built in the past decade or so and then get out into the field and start learning field craft and photo craft as that can be a steep learning curve so the sooner and more frequently you get out shooting the faster you'll improve.

Hope you work out a good solution and get started,

-Dave

I'm sure the camera gear and other camera related trinkets will be covered in depth during this discussion. I'm going to talk about other gear you're going to either need or use to make your time in the field more comfortable and productive:
1) High quality well fitting boots. Up over ankle at least. you want to provide support to the ankles to help avoid twists out in the back country. Good tread on the soles. I have some Keen boots but other brands are also quite good. You don't need to spend $600 on a pair of boots but get decent ones. I also prefer leather with water proof linings to the cloth and suede boots.
2) In summer - moisture wicking quick dry pants and underwear (male or female, doesn't matter). Cotton will get wet with perspiration and become uncomfortable. Also, if out in early morning, walking through wet grass, from knees down you will get wet and that becomes uncomfortable, the nylon type pants will dry quickly and will help keep you cool.
3) moisture wicking shirts - same reasons as pants.
4) pants and shirts in winter - I prefer fleece lined moisture wicking pants in winter and a moisture wicking under layer appropriate outer layer. I do not like the kind of coats and pants that make a loud swishing noise as I walk, get something softer.
4) Hats - Summer or Winter - Summer - wide brim to keep sun off your head, face and neck. Skin cancer is real. In winter, something to keep your head warm. During hunting season if I'm anywhere close to where folks may be hunting, wear bright orange.
5) Misc. stuff: Sun Screen, Insect repellent (Permethrin on clothing if you wish, I do), Chapstick or other lip balm (preferably with a high SPF sunscreen component).
6) Water bottles. I prefer refillable ones but plastic will work (please do not litter with them). Bring more water than you think you will need. If you are like us, and go out on a series of short 3-5 mile hikes, then bring your carry around bottle and have a larger container in the vehicle for refills.
7) socks - appropriate for the weather
8) gloves (mainly winter but they can help keep sun of hands in summer too, I just put sunscreen on the backs of hands and go.
9) I wear a utility belt with a camera lens case attached to store my macro or wide angle lens, a pouch for my cell phone and a couple spare batteries, and a water bottle holder. Wearing the belt keeps the weight off my shoulders. A small backpack can do the same if you prefer.
10) if you will be out more than a few hours, bring some high energy type snack. No need to get shaky out on the trail.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but you get the picture. Appropriate shoes, clothing and the essentials of sunscreen, insect repellent, plenty of water and snacks.

Have fun!!

Well, you can photograph wildlife in your back yard or a local park, but you can also backpack far into the back country and sleep overnight in a tent. So, the requirements for equipment can be very different depending on the locations you plan to frequent.

Since you stated equipment other than lenses and camera, I'm assuming you have thought that part through.

Here are just a couple of ideas that haven't been mentioned that I'll toss out.

I really like carrying my gear in a photo backpack. I usually have two bodies with me, one with a 500mm and the other with a 100-400 zoom. The backpack makes it easy to carry two setups, which is my preference. Even with one camera, a backpack to carry a windbreaker, a lens or two, lens cleaning kit, extra batteries and memory cards, etc. is nice. If you go the backpack route, I advise spending a little xtra for a comfortable, adaptable and photography specific backpack.

Since I have lightweight gear, I don't use a tripod often. When I do, though, I'm glad I spent a little more for a reasonably solid tripod.

Don't underestimate the value of having more than one or two batteries or memory cards.

I try to remember to bring an old plastic bag with me. It's good to sit on if the ground is wet, and I also try to carry some trash out with me if I can.

A comfortable hat that won't easily bow off in the wind is pretty essential, IMO.

That's just a few things off the top of my head. Hope it helps a bit

ENJOY your time shooting wildlife! :)

Enjoy your Z8. I'm sure as soon as you start taking it out for practice runs with your favorite subjects, you'll think of additional gear you may need/want to add to your kit.

Googling “ethics of wildlife photography” will bring up several articles on how to conduct ourselves while engaging in our photographic endeavors in the outdoors with wildlife, people, and the environment. Some points may seem like common sense but I will admit I did some things in my learning years to get the shot that I would never do now.

Googling “ethics of wildlife photography” will bring up several articles on how to conduct ourselves while engaging in our photographic endeavors in the outdoors with wildlife, people, and the environment. Some points may seem like common sense but I will admit I did some things in my learning years to get the shot that I would never do now.
Me too…but then I think that sometimes folks like Brad Hill might be taking it a bit too far. I understand and appreciate his position…but for those of us booking wildlife trips for an I’ll never do this trip again experience and shots…leaving because some other photographer not in our group is kstressing’ the animals seems a bit callous to your paying customers. It is a delicate subject, and I understand his position…but IMO he’s willing to take it a bit too far. Not a complaint of course…just a thought. And I’m not pointing out him as anything other than an example of ’maybe that’s a bit too much’.

Me too…but then I think that sometimes folks like Brad Hill might be taking it a bit too far. I understand and appreciate his position…but for those of us booking wildlife trips for an I’ll never do this trip again experience and shots…leaving because some other photographer not in our group is kstressing’ the animals seems a bit callous to your paying customers. It is a delicate subject, and I understand his position…but IMO he’s willing to take it a bit too far. Not a complaint of course…just a thought. And I’m not pointing out him as anything other than an example of ’maybe that’s a bit too much’.
Yeah, I hesitated in posting my comments knowing that such things can be a hot button issue. The OP might be well aware of them, and most of the ethics rules just come down to, as I posted, common sense with regards to respecting our surroundings, including people and wildlife. But, I didn’t feel it hurt to point them out.
Now regarding Brad Hill’s actions I can’t comment on since I wasn’t there to know what prompted him to do what he did. But, you’re right, it is a delicate subject…’nuff said.

I'm not sure what's being referenced here. Can anyone post a link?

What "Basic Essential Gear/Equipment", excluding camera body and lenses, is needed by all wildlife photographers?
Essentially nothing; however, it would be difficult to avoid adding the following to the combo of camera and lens:
  • extra batteries,
  • carrying system (other than neck strap supplied with camera),
  • protective storage.

Last edited:
I recommend you just go out and shoot and figure it out as you go. We all do things differently. What one person considers essential is useless to another. Some people put the kit in a backpack to hike, some carry it on a strap ready to shoot. Some only shoot with a tripod, some only shoot handheld, some do both. Some people walk, some sit and wait. Etc, etc. Only you can decide what works for you. So I recommend you stop reading all of the confusing and seemingly contradictory blogs/advice and just get out and shoot. It will become evident with each time out.

I’ve done three trips with Brad. All in remote places where we rarely, if at all, saw other people. No other photographers stressing the animals we found. We took care not to disturb the animals or attempt to change their behavior (of course they knew we were there). I did not find Brad’s approach a hindrance or unwarranted. I got many wonderful shots.

I'm not sure what's being referenced here. Can anyone post a link?
It’s about ‘ethical photography’ and whether that is a good or bad idea and what the definition is…and whether what a person does meets whatever standards there are. We probably should leave it alone since it’s controversial.

I’ve done three trips with Brad. All in remote places where we rarely, if at all, saw other people. No other photographers stressing the animals we found. We took care not to disturb the animals or attempt to change their behavior (of course they knew we were there). I did not find Brad’s approach a hindrance or unwarranted. I got many wonderful shots.
I’ve not been on trips with him…but he’s stated on his site that he has left animals because other photographers are stressing an animal…so I just take his words and his statement of ‘ethical standards’ on the site as his view. Nothing wrong with that…but my interpretation of what he said is that he overdoes it IMO. No offense intended to him, and I probably should not have mentioned him by name…my intention was to continue the discussion. From his descriptions and grip brochures I agree that wonderful shots with him would happen…and I seriously considered doing one with him…but although I also believe in ethics I believe his are different based on his site statements and that the differences might rub one of us the wrong way. But let’s not get too deep into a debate nobody can win…as I said my point could have been made without a name and I in no way meant to impugn him…and I read his site regularly and have not made a decision not to ever go with him.

Yeah, I hesitated in posting my comments knowing that such things can be a hot button issue...it is a delicate subject…’nuff said.
Yep and in retrospect my point didn’t really need his name involved…sometimes things typed sound better or worse than saying the same thing out loud in the bar…no context or visual clues. He does good work.

Reactions: PKW
It’s all been said. However you said anything but camera and lens so I echo what others have said and that’s get out and shoot and you will figure out what else you need.

Anything beyond a good camera and a lens long enough to fill the frame with your subject is simply luxury items that tend to lead to more comfort than actually be essential.

If I had to sell my gear down to just one lens and one body it would be my camera and my 600f4. Everything else could go and since that’s the combo I use 95% of the time I wouldn’t miss much. However all the extra stuff I’d be getting rid of makes getting some of those images more comfortable over a day of shooting and in my case I take trips often that I’m shooting a week or more straight.

I’ve got so many bags it’s kind of a joke but each one is for when I have a different need for carrying a bunch of different stuff to be prepared for different subjects/situations. I often pack 6 lenses and only use my 600. But I’ve learned when you need something you need it and it doesn’t do me much good sitting at home.

Thank you for all the responses, after I posted I thought it was a very broad and general question that could lead down alot of rabbit holes, depending on your particular style of photography. As one member posted, my focus should be getting out and enjoying and learning the basics of my Z8. I purchashed my first Z lens, Nikon 100-400mm, and should be arriving by the end of the week.

Thank you for all the responses, after I posted I thought it was a very broad and general question that could lead down alot of rabbit holes, depending on your particular style of photography. As one member posted, my focus should be getting out and enjoying and learning the basics of my Z8. I purchashed my first Z lens, Nikon 100-400mm, and should be arriving by the end of the week.
That’s a great camera and lens! Enjoy shooting!

You're off to a great start with that lens and body. Lots of good suggestions earlier about accessories. One that I didn't see mentioned was your cell phone. I've found various apps and functions invaluable from GPS, weather and flashlight, to bird identification, knowing the positions of sun/moon rise and set, and sun angles at various times of the day for specific locations. Regarding sun, moon and sun angles, two apps come to mind: The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) and PhotoPills. For birds, I use Peterson of North America, iBird Pro, and Merlin a lot, but there are many others. There are specialized apps for astro photography and others for plant and animal identification.

If you decide to purchase a tripod, get as good a one as you can afford. Lots of threads on this, so I won't try to get into details here other than to suggest getting carbon fiber if its in the budget and buy legs and head separately. Note that you'll want to either change the tripod foot on your lens, or add a plate to make it Arca-Swiss compatible with the tripod head.

Back