The Basics: Essential Gear for the Beginner to Wildlife Photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Your Z8 and 100-400 S are certainly extremely capable tools. As of now buy a cleaning kit and nothing else. Yet. Before buying anything more, I suggest read Steve's book, and there are other similar titles on wildlife photography. Put these ideas and guidelines and more to work in a suitable local habitats and start taking photos. Once you have tried, succeeded, and especially failed at some images of your own, it's then easier to narrow down what items you really need. This means the optimal bag, and then consider if you do need support of a leg or 3, and additional glass.

Forums are riddled with gear heads, subject to chronic bouts of GAS. In particular, Nikonitis is an incurable condition - speaking for myself! So threads like these will endorse buying across the known universe of possible gadgets and accessories

Have just started scratching the surface on wildlife photography, it is impressive the amount of knowledge and years of expertise that members of this forum provide for a variety of topics related to landscape and wildlife photography. As a beginner to the art of wildlife photography, what would members recommend as the essential tools/euipment for someone just starting out. With all the accessories and gear avaialbe it sometimes can be overwhelming on what the "Basic Essential Gear/Equipment", excluding camera body and lenses, is needed for all wildlife photographers.

One I didn’t see mentioned that I feel is important is to also understand the area you’re venturing out into. If it’s a local area you may or not be familiar with it, but if you‘re venturing off to someplace new it is important for your safety to understand the risks in the area. What is safe to do in one area could be very risky in another. Some research of the area can make it a much safer and better experience overall.

If I was starting new, I would learn the Z system and rent a Z 7 or Z 8 with a 100X400 MM lens for a week or weekend before investing in anything. If you do invest, invest in the Z system because DSLR days are over. IMO

In many areas a good guide helps a great deal. Even with birds I started out on field trips with people from local Audubon clubs. I can hire a guide for a day and then on the following days in an area I can strike out on my own.

The Merlin Bird ID app is great as it can identify local birds based on their songs. When the app picks up a bird that is hidden from view I can decide to go look for it. I also make use of a light pair of 10x25 binos that is easy to carry along with a photo backpack. The ebird website can be helpful in locating hot spots and learning which species have been spotted where and when.

Part of it entails learning about animal behavior and when they are likely to be the most active during the day. For me an alarm clock is an important piece of kit.

Thank you everyone for all the great advice and input. Just received my Z 100-400 now ready to take my Z8 out and get started. As far as memory cards, I was given a Sony Tough CFexpress card 128 gb, will this card work or should I look into buying a new memory card?

Take your time, evolve, many things will change as you develop your own style or taste that will reflect more accurately tangible needs.
The greatest benefit is to follow the golden rule of "less is more"
Start with your self first, hone your skill sets to the point you are happy, then go from their.

Any camera and lens will do to start with so that's your last priority.

Learn and understand about the wild life you want to photograph, ie: most but not all wild life feed early or late and hide during the day.

Light is FREE and your greatest asset or enemy, how to combine the optimum light with the understanding of the behavioral habits of the wild life you want to photograph will yield greater rewards than spending a zillion bucks on overpriced expensive exotic gear you will often never need.

Determine if you want to just do record, documentary shots or creative artistic wild life environmental shots..........
As to gear, go slow, develop rather than rush, i mean if you have a Z8 and a 100-400 hands down thats a brilliant start, get to the point where you really know how to drive your camera fundamentally don't get caught up in to much of the geekish side at the expense of creative or meaningful photography.

I mean there are camera club members using a D700 or D4s 150-500 150-600 Sigma/Tamron delivering results killing some Z9 owners using exotic glass purely on composition and content.

Remember there are record shots
Documentary shots
Creative shots
Fine art shots

What you have as tools is really great and should fare you well for a very long time.

Remember the right combination of light time and speed is your greatest asset especially next to your eye when all combined with effort.

The rest will follow.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Steve has a video on what he takes to Costa Rica, and some of the do and dont's along with essentials, drop him a line its an excellent video.

A example only.
ie: A second charger was a great suggestion.

Hi,
Remember whatever you photograph that the welfare and wellbeing of all wildlife is your first priority not the photograph.
Be aware of birds and animals etc showing distress at your presence, eg breeding birds.

That said I wish you well on your journey and the wildlife will be a just reward.

Have just started scratching the surface on wildlife photography, it is impressive the amount of knowledge and years of expertise that members of this forum provide for a variety of topics related to landscape and wildlife photography. As a beginner to the art of wildlife photography, what would members recommend as the essential tools/euipment for someone just starting out. With all the accessories and gear avaialbe it sometimes can be overwhelming on what the "Basic Essential Gear/Equipment", excluding camera body and lenses, is needed for all wildlife photographers.
The best pair of binoculars you can afford. Some days, just watching animals fills you head with amazing images that the camera can’t capture (because of branches, grass in the way, distance, poor light etc…). I’d give up all my photo gear before I’d give my binoculars.

I’m primarily a birder, photographer second. Therefore I ALWAYS go out with binoculars. Something like 8x30s is a nice compromise of size, weight, vs. magnification and light gathering ability. Unless you live near fantastic wildlife habitat there will be lots of times you don’t even take photos. Best to just get outside and see what you can find to photograph.

Back