The Eclipse is Almost Here!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

StarTracker50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Heading of to Missouri to be in the Path of Totality, and hopefully grab some pictures. In the process of preparing I came across these and thought I'd share them here.

The pictures are in reverse order of totality.

Picture 1: Totality. This is a stack of several bracketed pictures of longer and longer duration, stacked to see as much Corona as possible.

Picture 2: At totality a close-up to see the Hot Pink Prominences.

Picture 3: Is called Bailey's Beads. This is The Sun shining through the mountains on The Moon, creating the "beads."

Picture 4: The Diamond Ring! When the Moon has got close to eclipsing The Sun, but the solar energy is still dangerous to the human Eye.

Solar Eclipse 20170821 Klondike Park0170.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Solar Eclipse 20170821 Klondike Park0178.jpg
Solar Eclipse 20170821 Klondike Park0191.jpg
Solar Eclipse 20170821 Klondike Park0195.jpg

I've never tried shooting an eclipse. What kind of filter do you use for shots like this, Eddie?
Its made by a German company called Baader. Is a very fine film, and you buy a sheet and make your own filters. See the pic. The filter is on the flap. Flap closed during eclipse, or just shooting the Sun. Drops down at Totality, and then back up. It attaches to my Lens hood.

Baader Solar Filter.jpg
Thank you Steven!

Its made by a German company called Baader. Is a very fine film, and you buy a sheet and make your own filters. See the pic. The filter is on the flap. Flap closed during eclipse, or just shooting the Sun. Drops down at Totality, and then back up. It attaches to my Lens hood.

View attachment 86134.

Thank you Steven!
Thanks, Eddie. Just found some on amazon for $24. Unfortunately, I won't be needing any for the upcoming eclipse, due to my location.

Back