The Fly with Red Antennae

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This horse fly (species unknown) flew into the car as I was looking at a flower. It was over an inch long with huge eyes which brought to mind the line from Red Riding Hood: "My what large eyes you have." It uses that knife in its mouthparts to slice into mammals' flesh so it can feast on the blood.

Horse Fly.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Glad it is only an inch long. If it were a foot or more longer, humanity would be in trouble. Great image. Single shot or focus stacked?

Thanks for the kind words.

How did you get it to stay still?

It was really calm when I caught it in a specimen bottle -- fortunately. When I got home it went in the refrigerator for about an hour, something I often do with insects to slow them down long enough for a photograph. Not all insects are slower after refrigeration, some come out of the bottle and fly off instantly; all recover within five minutes (the smaller the insect the quicker the recovery). For some reason most spiders can't take chilling, so I don't ever cool them.

I know some people think it's unethical to chill insects, but I see it differently.

Single shot or focus stacked?

That's a single shot at 1/100 sec, f/20 , ISO 1000 with in camera flash and diffuser.

Back