The jockey on the bridge - baboon youngster

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Olifants River in Kruger NP is quite wide and the bridge across long enough so that one is allowed to get out of your car between two demarcated points. As the bridge is quite high over the river, it is also used by the denizens of the park as a cross-over. (Chacma) Baboons are always crossing mornings and late afternoons. There is a Armco barrier railing on each side of the bridge. (This is a w-shaped steel barrier system widely used in SA in road construction to prevent vehicles from accidentally driving off elevated road profiles.)
There is hardly any space between the edge of the barrier and the drop-off down to the river, but the bobbies use it with not problem - they do however, keep and eye on the people using the bridge.
The light was so beautiful and this youngster such a cool cat, I just had to shoot him as he was carried pass us on his mom's back. The lines on top and below are the edges of the Armco barrier and the back is the actual river. If we have a river with running water in SA, is is mostly just a small, shallow stream meandering across the river bed.

01603W D850 3840.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Olifants River in Kruger NP is quite wide and the bridge across long enough so that one is allowed to get out of your car between two demarcated points. As the bridge is quite high over the river, it is also used by the denizens of the park as a cross-over. (Chacma) Baboons are always crossing mornings and late afternoons. There is a Armco barrier railing on each side of the bridge. (This is a w-shaped steel barrier system widely used in SA in road construction to prevent vehicles from accidentally driving off elevated road profiles.)
There is hardly any space between the edge of the barrier and the drop-off down to the river, but the bobbies use it with not problem - they do however, keep and eye on the people using the bridge.
The light was so beautiful and this youngster such a cool cat, I just had to shoot him as he was carried pass us on his mom's back. The lines on top and below are the edges of the Armco barrier and the back is the actual river. If we have a river with running water in SA, is is mostly just a small, shallow stream meandering across the river bed.

View attachment 85493
Lovely capture.
Happy trails Callie.

Wonderful capture. The babies look so innocent while the adult males look like they want you for lunch.
Joe - never innocent! Naughty and sneaky they are! ;) :rolleyes:I am not a primate fan at all, but they have wonderful expressions and action, if you can nail it!

Reactions: JAS
Joe - never innocent! Naughty and sneaky they are! ;) :rolleyes:I am not a primate fan at all, but they have wonderful expressions and action, if you can nail it!
The Hamadryas Baboons in Saudi are generally smaller than the African varieties and acclimated to living near populated areas in the mountains where they can feast on the dumpsters. There is also a lot of food coming from the tourists, thoughrude tourists find out that you should not trick or tease a baboon with food. They have been known to shred and defecate inside of cars with rude drivers. Self-inflicted tourist damages for sure. I will share more of my shots over time. Thanks for these!

The Hamadryas Baboons in Saudi are generally smaller than the African varieties and acclimated to living near populated areas in the mountains where they can feast on the dumpsters. There is also a lot of food coming from the tourists, thoughrude tourists find out that you should not trick or tease a baboon with food. They have been known to shred and defecate inside of cars with rude drivers. Self-inflicted tourist damages for sure. I will share more of my shots over time. Thanks for these!
Thanks Joe - here, they are thieves too, and mess wherever they are. Not my favorite mammal by far.

Back