The Landing, Great Blue Heron

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

0224(2000).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Everything is beautiful except the background which detracts from the composite. I have never done a composite in my life (dont know how) but I have seen many and all are more impactful with a plain background eg water or sky

The heron is actually landing on water covered by an invasive species called giant salvinia, a problem at Caddo Lake in east Texas for over 20 years. Thanks for your comment on preferring a plain background. Perhaps the composite could be a sort of environmental statement.

You did a great job on the shot! Can you tell us a little about how you did it? Is the composite done in camera? I assume you have the camera locked down on a tripod.

Thanks for your interest. Photo was taken on slow moving pontoon boat on Caddo Lake. Hand held, CAF electronic shutter 10 frames per second. 5 point diamond focus grid. Four consecutive in focus frames made a good candidate for composite, done in post using Corel.

You did a nice job of putting the shots together. I find the last two positions of the GBH less than satisfying because the bird buries its legs and even lower body into the grass/flowers. I would like it better if the entire bird was visible at the time of landing. Unfortunately the sun/shade aspect of the different positions create some distractions also.

Back