The New Tamron 50 - 400mm Lens

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Feiertag

I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to try the new Tamron 50 - 400mm, Nikon mount. Apparently it was shipped on the 19th of Sept.

If so, what are your initial thoughts on it?

Last edited:
It's gotten good reviews on youtube. I have been thinking about this lens a lot. It seems like the perfect landscape telephoto and hiking wildlife lens for me. I'm strongly considering selling my Z 24-120 and my F mount Af-p 70-300 to get this lens.

There was a local airshow in Longmont, Colorado a few weeks ago and there was a Tamron rep with the lens, put it on my Z8 and took a few shots. Was impressed with the weight and compactness. Was deciding between this lens and the Z 100-400 but decided to go with the Tamron (the recent Nikon refurbished sale was tempting). I read the B&H reviews for the Sony version and decided to buy it instead of waiting for the reviews from the buyers of the Z mount. The reviews I read for the Z mount were all good (Dustin Abbott in particular). Ordered the lens, will pick it up tomorrow and try it out at the Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado. Will try to post some photos before I head off with it to upstate New York.

Last edited:
My 50-400 just showed up last night. A little bigger and heavier than I was expecting, but not a bad size, feels like really solid build quality. Not sure it I'll get the lens foot for it or not since I usually handhold. I won't get to shoot it until later this week, but overall build quality is impressive so far.

My 50-400 just showed up last night. A little bigger and heavier than I was expecting, but not a bad size, feels like really solid build quality. Not sure it I'll get the lens foot for it or not since I usually handhold. I won't get to shoot it until later this week, but overall build quality is impressive so far.
My Tamron lens did not arrive at Camera Kingston as scheduled. No deliveries on the weekend. Hopefully, on Monday. I also plan on buying the:
Haoge LMR-TL540 lens collar. It's1/3rd the price of the Tamron version.

Last edited:
Visited my local wild horse management area on Thursday and used this lens for the first time. Haven't had a chance to download pics into lightroom yet. What I could see in camera looked pretty good. As I am sure with most of us, would rather be taking the pictures than editing the pictures. :cool: It felt great, smooth and natural in hand and AF responded well. Will let you know how pics turned out.

Visited my local wild horse management area on Thursday and used this lens for the first time. Haven't had a chance to download pics into lightroom yet. What I could see in camera looked pretty good. As I am sure with most of us, would rather be taking the pictures than editing the pictures. :cool: It felt great, smooth and natural in hand and AF responded well. Will let you know how pics turned out.
Looking forward to seeing them.

I already have the Tamron Z mount 150-500 so no interest at this point. Anything I am photographing that needs below 150 mm I will usually not be wanting the above 150 at the same time and I am covered in the below 150 area with the Z 24-120 usually on Z6III and Tamron Z mount 35-150 f/2-2.8 my indoor and outdoor people photography work horse on my Z9.

Last edited:
It's gotten good reviews on youtube. I have been thinking about this lens a lot. It seems like the perfect landscape telephoto and hiking wildlife lens for me. I'm strongly considering selling my Z 24-120 and my F mount Af-p 70-300 to get this lens.
I am in the same boat and looking at this lens as a replacement for my 70-300 AFP.
I look forward to your photos.

based on test shot on the net (Sony version, which is basically the same as the Z version glass wise), the results are promising 👍 . It is sharper than the 70-300 AFP and offers more focal range.

I didn't get out for photography as much as I would have liked over this past week. I had to rebuild my deck and it took me longer than expected which really cut into my photography time. I didn't get the chance to use it for wildlife, but I am very happy with it's performance as a landscape telephoto. A couple shots are below. The build quality of the lens is just as good as my Nikon lenses. So far I am very happy with this lens. I'm hoping to get some wildlife shots with it soon, the white tail rut should be starting in a few weeks.

VTfall (6 of 7).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

VTfall (2 of 7).jpg

VTfall (1 of 7).jpg

Back