The Overland Track — Tasmania

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

David Berry

🇦🇺 Australia 🦘
We saw few birds or other animals during our mid-summer (aka four-seasons-in-every-day) walk across the windswept backcountry of our island state. Some places looked like manicured gardens (they were nothing of the sort!) and others were just plain bleak (that's meant to be a positive comment).

The Overland Track is 65 km long (before photo excursions are added!) and takes about four days to hike. Altitude is around 1250 m, but you'll need to head higher for scenic shots.

Forgive me for not being able to identify the flora; it's different from here in the subtropics! The little marsupial is a pademelon; I hope I got that one right!

… David

Overland Track : Tasmania, Australia
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Really an excellent set of photos. Are there cabins along the trail or were you using a tent/bivouac? We've not even considered Tasmania in our trips down under due to mainly seeking sun/beaches when we travel.

@Dave Berry Captured the essence of the track as well as the scenery very well. It does not look too wet though, with no snow either.

Nice to see some of my own state from anothers eyes, been quite a while since I walked the Overland, did it from south to north.

The first shot as well as the trees around the tarn are probably Pencil pines and are likely to be hundreds of years old.

Pademelon is correct.

Not many birds or small animals around these days, I believe the apex predator here has changed from the Tasmanian Devil to the feral cat due to the facial tumour disease decimating the Devil population.
Night time might be a better time to look as a lot of them are nocturnal.

Last shot includes Mount Pelion East.

@NorthernFocus Accommodation is your own tent, Parks & Wildlife cabins (treat as first in best dressed) or private tour cabins at a cost due to them being part of guided walks through the Park.

Be prepared for any weather at any time of year and the first days hike up to Marions Lookout if you travel north to south.

Lots more to see in Tasmania just don't expect to see it in a short time, one life time is not enough!

Are there cabins along the trail or were you using a tent/bivouac?
Accommodation is your own tent, cabins (treat as first in best dressed) or private tour cabins at a cost due to their being part of guided walks through the national park.

There are alternatives to pitching a tent in the great outdoors. Hopefully, SB will provide photos of non-supported hikes.

Overland Accommodation on The Overland Track, Tasmania

A few of my non-supported hikes on film.
Bruny Island, Miles Beach and Cape Queen Elizabeth, a day walk.
BrunyIsland_MB_CQE.JPG

Western Arthurs, partial traverse.
Lake Neptune, Lake Triton, Mount Hayes on the right.
WesternArthurs_LN_LT_MH.jpg

Mount Hayes.
WesternArthurs_MH.jpg

Lake Cygnus.
WesternArthurs_LC.jpg

Western Arthurs Panorama.
WesternArthurs_pan.jpg

Back