The Story Behind the Videos.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Approximately 11 years ago the Minnesota DNR installed a cam on a local Eagles nest. Over the course of these years viewers have been subjected to both triumph and tragedy. We’ve watched eggs being laid, multiple hatches, a nest takeover and the little ones taking to the skies for the first time.

We’ve also seen our share or heartbreak. We’ve had eggs that failed, a chick passed away in the nest, one flew into a power line and another year one chick pushed its sibling to his death due to lack of food. But by far the biggest tragedy occurred last year when the nest finally failed, taking with it the lone chick.

My history with this nest goes back to 2016 when out of sheer luck, I found the nest. Because of my photography I met the individual in charge of the cam and because of this I was afforded the luxury of all sorts of ‘perks’ you could say. I attended bandings, I went up in the bucket truck when a microphones was installed and was a first call when something was happening that needed attention.

Unfortunately I was also party to the tragedies. I found the bird tanged in the wire, rescued the chick that was pushed from the nest (He didn’t make it) and was first on the scene when the nest fell.

I’ve been closely following these birds for eight years and when the nest fell, they immediately started rebuilding in the general area of the old, fallen nest.

I’m VERY happy to report the stars of the Minnesota DNR Eagle Cam have two chicks that appear to be thriving at the new location. Unfortunately, the cam has not been installed in this new location due to accessibility issues although that problem is being addressed, I’m told.

The Facebook page I Admin has 16,000 extremely rabid followers for “Nancy” and “Beau” so when they found out there were chicks the page went bananas. Myself included.

The first video is the nest falling in April 2023. I lifted this footage from the cam. The second video I shot last weekend. It was fairly cold but sunny which really raised hell with my video. Atmospheric conditions can ruin a perfectly good photo or video.

Approximately 11 years ago the Minnesota DNR installed a cam on a local Eagles nest. Over the course of these years viewers have been subjected to both triumph and tragedy. We’ve watched eggs being laid, multiple hatches, a nest takeover and the little ones taking to the skies for the first time.

We’ve also seen our share or heartbreak. We’ve had eggs that failed, a chick passed away in the nest, one flew into a power line and another year one chick pushed its sibling to his death due to lack of food. But by far the biggest tragedy occurred last year when the nest finally failed, taking with it the lone chick.

My history with this nest goes back to 2016 when out of sheer luck, I found the nest. Because of my photography I met the individual in charge of the cam and because of this I was afforded the luxury of all sorts of ‘perks’ you could say. I attended bandings, I went up in the bucket truck when a microphones was installed and was a first call when something was happening that needed attention.

Unfortunately I was also party to the tragedies. I found the bird tanged in the wire, rescued the chick that was pushed from the nest (He didn’t make it) and was first on the scene when the nest fell.

I’ve been closely following these birds for eight years and when the nest fell, they immediately started rebuilding in the general area of the old, fallen nest.

I’m VERY happy to report the stars of the Minnesota DNR Eagle Cam have two chicks that appear to be thriving at the new location. Unfortunately, the cam has not been installed in this new location due to accessibility issues although that problem is being addressed, I’m told.

The Facebook page I Admin has 16,000 extremely rabid followers for “Nancy” and “Beau” so when they found out there were chicks the page went bananas. Myself included.

The first video is the nest falling in April 2023. I lifted this footage from the cam. The second video I shot last weekend. It was fairly cold but sunny which really raised hell with my video. Atmospheric conditions can ruin a perfectly good photo or video.
Very interesting and engaging stories. Thanks for sharing them and the videos.
Cheers,
Rudy

Sounds like you have had an interesting few years. I enjoyed your story and the videos.

Back