Thoughts on a 2nd Camera Body to compliment my Z9 (Another Z9 or go with a Z8)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The pros and cons to each are mostly minor things and come down to personal preferences. I have both and prefer the smaller, lighter Z8. Do you prefer the larger gripped body or do you want a smaller, lighter body to compliment it? How important is built in gps? How important are matched card slots? will it be an issue carrying two different types of batteries and chargers? From and operations standpoint, other than vertical grip, the main two differences is the Z9 has three front function buttons instead of two and a drive dial under the mode dial so very similar.

Hi Nancy, I use a pair of Z9's with duplicated menu setup including Banks. Together with a D6, I still have a well used D850 (gripped) going into its 6th year (so backup mostly these days). These all work well as 4 F Nikkors continue as primary lenses, although I've built a superb lighter Z System (four zooms covering 14mm to 400, plus 800 PF).

These cameras all use the same EN EL18c and d batteries; thanks be to MH 33 chargers. USB PD charging simplifies life ('out there' especially).

There's also more discussion here and this thread on pairing ILCs.

I gave this some thought and decided to get a second Z9.

I want the cameras to function and be set up identically. I also like the Z9's larger battery capacity dual cf express slots better heat handling abilities and deeper dual grip.

I have big hands and the Z9 feels better to me handling large lenses.

I just got my second z9 and for the first major shoot I shot at the zoo with one body with the Z 70-200 F2.8 and the other the Z400 f4.5. I carried both cameras on opposite sides with blackrapid straps and qd connectors. It was super convenient to work that way and I switched quickly between cameras as needed. That combination of lenses was perfect because subjects were closer than they would otherwise be in the field. All handheld, not even a monopod. I got tired and sore after four hours but this is just a matter of conditioning, I felt fine the next day.

When I work with the tripod I plan to carry a shorter focal length lens on the strap and pull it up to shoot when something unexpected happens.

I still have the Z7ii and it still woks if I want a casual walk around camera with a small lens.

I may eventually get something new to replace the Z7ii depending on what comes out.

Z8 has a wimpy battery supply and twin storage slots that don't match. (mentioned above, repeated) I miss the 3rd command button.

Well, I "only" have one Z8 and thus have no experience with the battery life of a Z9 at the moment, but to come from fripped D850 and D4s with EN-EL18's get to a Z with EN-EL15 was a really unpleasant experience. It had to be expected considering the exetensive use of displays to be operated, but still ...

As a Harley Snob you are obviously used to a different magnitude of engine displacement - as well as diplacement per cylinder - , so it's only logical that you see the Z8 as something like a 125cc two stroke toy rather than a serious bike if looking at battery life :).

In the meantime I got used to having a few spare EN-EL15 in my pocket. when hiking with the gear. At least for stationary work (long hours in tent or so) I find it manageable to run the Z8 with a power bank connected while sitting on the tripod. That said, I'm probably far away from being a hardcore user on your level ;) .

However, there's one thing I like with the EN-EL15 batteries:
It is possible to charge them with a travel solar charger providiung USB output, providing you have a suitable 3rd parrty charger, but this works only because the 7,2 V + the extra bit for charging overhead is significantly less than 2 x 5 V provided by USB. With EN-EL18 in the DSLR days I haven't found a solution to do this, because the 10,8 V + the extra bit for charging overhead can't be (easily) generated from a 5V source.

I power the MH33 [ compact ENEL18 charger] directly on a folding Jackery 100W panel, which has a built-in USB C port. There are more compact and lighter panels for hiking, but not all are USB C

I have the z9 and D850 as a back-up. As I get more Z lens and plan to retire my D850 to my 18 year old granddaugher, I want to upgrade to another Z camera. Obviously andother Z9 would easiest with copying settings and knowledge BUT are there benefits and thoughts about getting the z8 instead (besides cost). Thanks in advance for your thoughts
I had a Z9 for two years and recently purchased a Z8 after many months of indecision. In considering a Z8, I was concerned about reduced battery life, loss of the third Fn button, lack of a second CF Express slot and different/more limited firmware features. And a second Z9 body purchased as a reburb was not all that much more than a new Z8. However, I got a Z8 refurb for $3200, and Firmware 2.0 brought the firmware up the Z9's, at least for now. I've found that switching between them is almost seamless, although I now favor the Z8 for its reduced size and weight when handholding large lensess while still maintaining most of the Z9 functionality. The reduced battery life, single CF express slot and Fn 3 loss are minor annoyances that I can live with. The only fly in the ointment is that I got a heat warning recently on the Z8 while shooting birds in pre-capture mode. I know that the Z8 doesn't have the Z9's heat sink and is therefore less desirable for shooting video. But I hadn't envisioned an issue shooting in pre-capture.

Last edited:
I tried going with the Z9 + Z8 combo at first and was disappointed.

Carrying multiple batteries/chargers is a pain, and it was slightly frustrating that even given how close the 2 cameras are - you can't get all the buttons and functionality exactly the same. I did my first test on a trip to Iceland, where I also had GoPros, Fuji X100V, and a drone and it was just too many batteries and chargers. Battery life of the Z8 was also an issue, as I was constantly swapping batteries during shoots. With the Z9 I've never had to swap batteries while action was happening.

In my opinion, I'd make the decision to either run 2x Z9, or 2x Z8. Not mix and match.

All of my friends and family who have tried the split approach also went back to having the same camera. Generally the younger or more abled folks prefer the Z9, while the older or less able folks have loved their Z8s. Those who photograph mainly while traveling may also prefer the Z8 for how much more compact it is. Much easier to carry on airlines. That was my main desire to get one.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm old fashioned but I find the pro mirrorless cameras require more attention to their customization (and responding to Firmwares revising the Custom options) in order to optimize captures of challenging wildlife subjects. This applies particularly to being proficient with Autofocus, especially capturing wildlife subjects under pressure. So in this respect, I find it much simpler using my D6 and D850, compared to the Z9 and Z8 (admittedly I didn't test the Z8 for very long).

The introduction of Z9 subject detection in Dec 2021 is one major reason why one has to think&react more about settings, or more correctly train muscle memory to switch AF modes (using AF Hand Over techniques etc) almost instinctively. Now latterly, we have yet more options to choose in switching SR modes - pertinently Bird<>Animal. And Auto Capture is yet another arena for experiential learning....

Last edited:
In summary, I've found that using the Z9 regularly for wildlife over the past 2 years has involved met adjusting the camera's custom settings, at least 4 times to leverage the new fw changes and opportunities. So a second Z9 (with identical menu setup) keeps things that much simpler (versus adding a new Z8) :D Another way of saying this to underscore the differences with Pro Mirrorless, is I don't hesitate to pair a D6 and D850.

I was reminded of how it takes to train muscle memory, on reading this answer by a Canon Executive in a recent interview: "...for a professional to be able to use any equipment at the Games, in real conditions, it takes about six months of learning and daily use.... "

Last edited:
The reality of late has been that the Z8 and Z9 have followed and continue to follow significantly different firmware upgrade paths. I just recently received my latest Z9-and complex-firmware upgrade, I need to sit down, analyze those changes and see what I need/want to change in my setup menu. Or I have to wait for someone I trust to complete the analysis and make recommendations.

Now I have observed changes in me of late. They have to do with technology overload.

I used to be the kind of person who intentionally adopted early beta releases in computers because I wanted to get the latest tech advances NOW. Today however I have gone the other direction.

Tech drives my life and it is frequently aggravating. I am barraged for demands for unique and different passwords for everything and it seems all aspects of my life require passwords and verifications for access and they are all different. With all the changes and barrages of new tech my brain hurts trying to keep up with all of it.

You try to call customer support for just about anything and you have to shout and struggle with a lousy computerized system designed to keep you away from other human beings. You have to struggle with that maddening system to reach a live human being who can understand your question. Another aggravation.

I now crave clarity and simplicity.

So I do not have the Z8. I am aware there was a recent significant firmware upgrade and I understand it changed how you configure your buttons and lens rings. I never bothered to go through all that because I did not have that system in my Z9 and I did not need to know how to configure a Z8.

Now I have a major new upgrade in the Z9 and I need to sit down and figure out how I want to configure things to take advantage. I will do that.

When I am out photographing i need to focus my attention on what matters to get the image. I want my camera to be set up the way I want it so the key settings I need to access are there and easy to reach. Muscle memory needs to be automatic to reach what I want. I love my Z9 but it has to learn to behave the way I want it to behave.

In short I need one camera type with both bodies set up identically.

I know I know I am getting old. I look at the younger generations. I see them walking down the street glued to their smartphone screens. I try to avoid hitting them as they text while crossing the street. I worry that they are becoming lonely and losing the ability to have normal human contact.

Is this way of living good for us as a species?

I know that the Z8 doesn't have the Z9's heat sink and is therefore less desirable for shooting video. But I hadn't envisioned an issue shooting in pre-capture.
It really depends on how long you need to shoot a video for…I shot some of my wife's choral concert the other week and had several single videos that were 10 minutes long with no heat issues. So IMO unless you're shooting really extended video files that will be combined into an actual movie instead of short clips to illustrate/amplify your wildlife shots the heat issue seems to be over rated (at least to me) just like the battery issue.

In short I need one camera type with both bodies set up identically.

I know I know I am getting old. I look at the younger generations. I see them walking down the street glued to their smartphone screens. I try to avoid hitting them as they text while crossing the street. I worry that they are becoming lonely and losing the ability to have normal human contact.

Is this way of living good for us as a species?

I don't think it has to do so much with age. My friend is conducting photo workshops on a regukar basis and what I hear from him is that there are still many things where the youngsters can learn from the guys with grey, white or no hair :D. IMHO this has more to do with how intense and how regular you are able to spend time shooting, because it has to do a lot with intuituve routine.

My friend was the person I trusted to give me some help with the configuration of my Z8, because the decision to simply copy the settings of my D850 turned obviously was thought too short. Becasue he has huge hands he introduced a button setup that made sense, but wasn't really usable for me. But still even the changes I made just to the button setup took me a while to get used to, although is was a version suiting my right hand much better.

Thus, I perfeclty agree with your approach. If I manage to get back to a two body setup and if I need both bodies to do the same kind of shooting, the handling including button positions and assigned funtion has to be identical.

Regarding your thoughts about the younger generation I wouldn't generalize too much, because the truth is - as in most cases - somewhere in the middle. But yes, certain trends which have become popular can be quite embarrassing for people of our generation. Believe it or not, but Cologne (town in central Germany) spent a million € to install red hi power LED strips at all places where pedestrian paths are crossing tramway rails. They had too many accidents with people runnning in front of the tramway because they either didn't get their nose out of the phone and thus didn't see it or - because of headphones - also didn't hear it.

A coupla of months ago I had the opportunity to work on a consulting project with someone who could actually be my son and it was an interesting experience. On the one hand I was constantly busy with holding him back, because he hadn'T understood that certain things cannot be treat "as quick as possible and as good as necessary" but "as good as poosible and as quivck as necessary", on the other hand he helped me a lot with modern approaches to analysis and assessment of complex scenarios and thus gave suppport in gaining speed without compromising the "as good as possible" approach. So, there's a lot in it for both sides, if every party is willing to be open and happy to leyarn from the other side.

But generally you are right. In day to day life it has never been so easy to be alone and isolated while being among so many people as today and to me it looks like it is getting even worse. The tighter and the more hectic it gets in the cities, trains, railway stations, ... , the more people work activily on their isolation and many to such a "good job" that they end up having difficultioes to find the way back.

So my answer to your final question is: No, definitely not ! And IMHO this has reached a magnitude that I am starting to feel uncomfortable in this (part of the ?) world myself. And what's the countermeasure ? Well, trying to stay away from it, which then is leading to ... isolation. Not a good idea. Every now and then it works just to smile or loose some friendly words and get a positive reaction, because the other side does not expect to be seen as an individual human being able to communicate completely without electricity :D .

I chose a Z8 and do not regret. The smaller size and lighter weight are important to me. My hands are small and cannot easily use most function buttons. It only takes a few seconds to switch batteries. I've done it in the back seet of a WWII warbird while doing some aerial photography with no problem. At some point I might trade my Z9 for another Z8.

Looking through the posts, am a complete outlier here. I am waiting for the Z6iii to come out and I suspect it will be right for me. I took my Z6ii as the camera for my 24-120 to Australia recently and it would be my emergency back up if the Z9 failed. Very handy to have a smaller camera. I don't care about the controls being different when I'm just using it with the 24-120. I was very happy with it with one exception. Even using eye detection people shots were often not in focus. Hence I'm selling it and waiting for the Z6iii which I expect will have much improved AF. Getting a Z6iii will be much cheaper as well than getting a Z8.

I used a Z8 as back up to my Z9 and found I had no problem switching from one camera to the other. The menus and features are 90+% the same between the Z9 and Z8. I gravitated more to the Z8 due to size and weight - not functionality.
Yes i sold my Z9 just recently and have bought a Z8 as a replacement for much the same as you describe.

I have the z9 and D850 as a back-up. As I get more Z lens and plan to retire my D850 to my 18 year old granddaugher, I want to upgrade to another Z camera. Obviously andother Z9 would easiest with copying settings and knowledge BUT are there benefits and thoughts about getting the z8 instead (besides cost). Thanks in advance for your thoughts
May be consider the ZF or Z7III just for something different, if it fits.
The ZF has next generation features and advancements that no doubt will appear in the Z9 II.

Only an opinion

I have two Z9’s, keeping them synced by copying the menu settings. I also purchased a Z8 thinking it would work as a lighter weight setup for landscape type photography. I have used it for hiking waterfalls where I appreciate the lighter pack. Sadly it sits on the shelf most of the time. Not that it isn’t a great camera, just that switching between the two isn’t seamless. I have to stop and think about the differences in the way they are set up, sometimes having to open the control menu. That just doesn’t work well when I’m out in the field following action. As a result I tend not to use it, just so much handier to grab 2 Z9’s.

Last edited:
The pros and cons to each are mostly minor things and come down to personal preferences. I have both and prefer the smaller, lighter Z8. Do you prefer the larger gripped body or do you want a smaller, lighter body to compliment it? How important is built in gps? How important are matched card slots? will it be an issue carrying two different types of batteries and chargers? From and operations standpoint, other than vertical grip, the main two differences is the Z9 has three front function buttons instead of two and a drive dial under the mode dial so very similar.
Your replacing the D850, in that case a Z8 shouldn't be an issue being slightly different to the Z9, more so do you even really need a Z9 or could 2 x Z8 be more than enough for all your needs anyway ?

If the choice is a Z8 with Z9 or two Z9 units i would go Z8 Z9, I mean a Sony A1 is 747 G and tiny, a Z9 is almost 1.4 kg and massive in size.

For some at times we have to many choices.

Forums like this really help with members sharing first hand experinces in many different applications, we can learn so much, be it cameras, lenses, technique, making decisions choices and compromises.

I think it depends on who we are, what we do, or want to do, combine this with means if applicable, it all helps to melt the pot into a clear broth.

Looking back D3X D3S, D5 D810, D6 D850, all seem to be more seem;ess togeather, over time the differences have widened a little especially in mirror less cameras.

TODAY, the fundamental combination of time light and speed is still there in all cameras and it has been since the beginning of time, AI is going to or should i say may change that for developers and creators be it stills or video. We will in the main stream market do in video what we used to do to stills using PS LR.

The answer as to choosing a Z8 or Z9 is simple the D850 was a back up with a huge difference to the z9 so the z8 should be almost seamless. especially as a back up...........or second camera is what i am getting out of all this ..............

Some Key points.........

Rent a Z8 for the weekend, use it along side the Z9.
As some of my friends have done they have sold their Z9 and bought a couple of Z8 at the old prices that ran out in end of February this should be more apparent once the pipeline sells out.

If you have tolerated the D850 with the Z9 and the synergistic differences a Z8 is not an issue.
I know many that love and equally hate the combo, however its dictated more so by what they do.

For cost if an issue there are plenty of cheap used Z9 units for sale.

I just picked up a NEW Z8 at used E BAY market prices, so i am ahead of the first full wave of depreciation, selling my Z9 i got out of it unscathed as i bought it right, for me the money is made in the buying not the selling.

Left field option, why not go 2 x Z8 units after selling your Z9 unless your doing a lot of video think about it.

What is it you really need the second camera for, a good point ?

If weight, size and funds is not an issue and you do a lot of video then go 2 x Z9, if it is then you have the answer to maybe compromise a little if at all and go the Z8 Z9 combo.

Your replacing the D850, a Z8 shouldn't be an issue being slightly different to the Z9, more so do you even really need a Z9 or is the Z8 enough for all your needs.

If the choice is a Z8 with Z9 or two Z9 units i would go Z8 Z9, I mean a Sony A1 is 747 G and tiny, a Z9 is almost 1.4 kg

Only an opinion if it helps

I just got my second z9 and for the first major shoot I shot at the zoo with one body with the Z 70-200 F2.8 and the other the Z400 f4.5. I carried both cameras on opposite sides with blackrapid straps and qd connectors. It was super convenient to work that way and I switched quickly between cameras as needed. That combination of lenses was perfect because subjects were closer than they would otherwise be in the field. All handheld, not even a monopod. I got tired and sore after four hours but this is just a matter of conditioning, I felt fine the next day.
Let's see a few of the photos.

Back