Thoughts on the future of the 180-400

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is a great lens. Worked very well on dSLRs and now on my Z series cameras. 180-400 is a great range for the wide life photographer and the drop in 1.4 TC is very helpful to extend the range.

I have not seen a replacement on the road and the nearest replacement lens I have found from CNS (Canon, NIkon, Sony) is the 200-500 or 200-600 lens. These are great lens but I don't think that the Sony or Canon current lens or the roadmap Nikon (1) will have the build quality of the 180-400 (S lens in Nikon Z system) and (2) are fixed aperture.

Do you think that this lens should be updated to a Z (S) series lens? What would you like to it to be (of course be reasonable - no 14-800 F2)?

A few ideas I have update the lens to a Z mount, shave a pound or two off it (look at the 400 F/4.5 as a example of light weight lens), possible extend the range either on the wide side to 150 or so or on the long end to 420/440. The longer the lens gets the bigger the front element will need to be and this will result in weight gain. Replace the 1.4 TC with a 1.7 TC. This would extend the range from 550 to 680, though a cost of another half stop of light. Not sure if this possible without sacrificing optical quality, but include fresnel elements (i.e., a PF lens).

Thoughts?

This is a great lens. Worked very well on dSLRs and now on my Z series cameras. 180-400 is a great range for the wide life photographer and the drop in 1.4 TC is very helpful to extend the range.
My copy rapidly became the core optic for most African mammals in many situations. So good that I've sold on a greatly valued 400 f2.8E. I plan to keep mine working hard on a Z9 or D6.
I have not seen a replacement on the road and the nearest replacement lens I have found from CNS (Canon, NIkon, Sony) is the 200-500 or 200-600 lens. These are great lens but I don't think that the Sony or Canon current lens or the roadmap Nikon (1) will have the build quality of the 180-400 (S lens in Nikon Z system) and (2) are fixed aperture.

Do you think that this lens should be updated to a Z (S) series lens? What would you like to it to be (of course be reasonable - no 14-800 F2)?
Keep it as 180-400 TC, But with TC17 which will focus adequately on Z cameras.

120-300 f2.8S TC17 (204-510 f4.8) is an option possibly, and perhaps complemented by a 300-700 f5.6S TC14. This will be fairly heavy, ie 125mm window, but extremely versatile (420-980 f8)
A few ideas I have update the lens to a Z mount, shave a pound or two off it (look at the 400 F/4.5 as a example of light weight lens), possible extend the range either on the wide side to 150 or so or on the long end to 420/440.
Nikon introduced SR glass in the 120-300 f2.8E SR in 2020; they also have Super ED glass, now being used in selected S Series Z Nikkors. Previously it was used only in the 80-400 and 200 f2G.

We are seeing new lens coatings in Z Nikkors: ARNEO and Meso Amorphous. In combination, all these materials / technology are enabling even better optics, also with the new refined high precision manufacturing and assembly. These can surely improve a Telephoto zoom with its many elements, even better than the 180-400 TC

It's clear that a fluorite element in a fast telephoto Nikkor - Window of 120 mm or more - puts a 5 figure release price on it (see current thread on the 800's referencing a 2013 interview in Japanese)

The longer the lens gets the bigger the front element will need to be and this will result in weight gain. Replace the 1.4 TC with a 1.7 TC. This would extend the range from 550 to 680, though a cost of another half stop of light. Not sure if this possible without sacrificing optical quality, but include fresnel elements (i.e., a PF lens).
It's been stated by Nikon engineers that rendering suffers if a zoom has a PF element, but bear in mind Nikon is often a source of surprises.

The 400 f4.5S certainly demonstrates how Nikon can build a light pro telephoto, so they could possibly get the existing 180-400 to weigh under 3kg,.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
My copy rapidly became the core optic for most African mammals in many situations. So good that I've sold on a greatly valued 400 f2.8E. I plan to keep mine working hard on a Z9 or D6.

Keep it as 180-400 TC, But with TC17 which will focus adequately on Z cameras.

120-300 f2.8S TC17is an option possibly, and perhaps complemented by a 300-700 f5.6S TC14 (which will be heavy ie 125mm window, but extremely versatile)

Nikon introduced SR glass in the 120-300 f2.8E SR in 2020; they also have Super ED glass, now being used in selected S Series Z Nikkors. Previously it was used only in the 80-400 and 200 f2G.

We are seeing new lens coatings in Z Nikkors: ARNEO and Meso Amorphous. In combination all these materials are enabling even better optics, also with refined high precision manufacturing and assembly. These can surely improve a Telephoto zoom with its many elements, even better than the 180-400 TC

It's clear that a fluorite element in a fast telephoto Nikkor - Window of 120 mm or more - puts a 5 figure release price on it (see current thread on the 800's referencing a 2013 interview in Japanese)

It's been stated by Nikon engineers that rendering suffers if a zoom has a PF elements, but bear in mind Nikon is often a source of surprises.
The 400 f4.5S certainly demonstrates how Nikon can build a light pro telephoto, so they could possibly get the existing 180-400 to weigh under 3kg,.
thanks. Great comments.

My 180-400 was my main lens but I ended up swapping for the 400 2.8 Z. I essentially traded 180-399 for f2.8, a sharper prime and a lot of weight reduction.

The 180-400mm is an outstanding lens. The thing that sealed the deal for me personally was reviewing my photos and seeing that most of my photos were taken at 400 or 560mm and that I rarely edited the photos taken at less. So it was a bit of a no-brainer when the 400 2.8 Z came along.

Now that I've used the 400mm a bunch this year (Scotland, Hungary and Botswana) I can say that I'm very happy with my own decision. It never feels like I'm compromising light when I flick on the TC because it's close enough to a 600mm f4. It also feels light enough that I can cope in awkward situations much better than with the 180-400mm.

If Nikon make a Z version then I'd like to see it be much lighter. It has much stiffer competition in the Z system now with the 400 having a built in TC and with the quality of the recent 100-400mm being so high. I don't really think I'd be tempted by a new version now though compared to the 400 TC.

My 180-400 was my main lens but I ended up swapping for the 400 2.8 Z. I essentially traded 180-399 for f2.8, a sharper prime and a lot of weight reduction.

The 180-400mm is an outstanding lens. The thing that sealed the deal for me personally was reviewing my photos and seeing that most of my photos were taken at 400 or 560mm and that I rarely edited the photos taken at less. So it was a bit of a no-brainer when the 400 2.8 Z came along.

Now that I've used the 400mm a bunch this year (Scotland, Hungary and Botswana) I can say that I'm very happy with my own decision. It never feels like I'm compromising light when I flick on the TC because it's close enough to a 600mm f4. It also feels light enough that I can cope in awkward situations much better than with the 180-400mm.

If Nikon make a Z version then I'd like to see it be much lighter. It has much stiffer competition in the Z system now with the 400 having a built in TC and with the quality of the recent 100-400mm being so high. I don't really think I'd be tempted by a new version now though compared to the 400 TC.
Sounds like the 400 F/2.8 TC is a great lens for you. I use the full range of the 180-400 though tend to favor the longer side

A few ideas I have update the lens to a Z mount, shave a pound or two off it

Thoughts?
I absolutely love my 180-400.(y)
I'm very hopeful Nikon will make a Z mount with similar weight savings to the Z 400TC, and will buy it it without hesitation, just knowing that it will cost a bundle!
I would not be in favour of Nikon going with a 1.7tc.
My 180-400 along with the 500PF were the ONLY 2 lenses I kept out of the 18 F mounts I sold when I switched to ML with 2 x Z9's earlier this year.............now if I can only get my hands on my long awaited Z 400TC. :unsure:

Last edited:
This is the heart of one of the challenges for Nikon -- will they produce long constant aperture zooms or "stay" with a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6. I owned the 200-400 and all the primes from 200mm to 800mm and a few of the PF versions as well. The 180-400 f/4 TC is a very heavy and expensive lens and extremely costly when compared to the 100-400. There is little doubt the 100-400 is a good lens, relatively small but not super bright. I greatly doubt the 200-600 is going to be other than a f/5.6-6.3 and certainly not an S-line. So not a lens for indoor sports or other pro low light shooters.

While I can see some advantages in Nikon making a 180-400 f/4 with TC. BUT if it cost say $11k would this sell well - I doubt it.

The Z400mm f/2.8TV is a truly spectacular lens. I hope that a Z600/4.0 TC will come later this year - even if it costs 15% more than the Z400/2.8TC. If it does then I would go for the 600, before considering replacing the 100-400.

I absolutely love my 180-400.(y)
I'm very hopeful Nikon will make a Z mount with similar weight savings to the Z 400TC, and will buy it it without hesitation, just knowing that it will cost a bundle!
I would not be in favour of Nikon going with a 1.7tc.
My 180-400 along with the 500PF were the ONLY 2 lenses I kept out of the 18 F mounts I sold when I switched to ML with 2 x Z9's earlier this year.............now if I can only get my hands on my long awaited Z 400TC. :unsure:
I sold nearly all my F glass too Have 180-400, 500 PF and sigma 150 Macro Current Z 105 macro does not have tripod collar. A major design flaw IMO

Hope that Nikon will replace all these with Z (S) glass soon.

The Z400mm f/2.8TV is a truly spectacular lens. I hope that a Z600/4.0 TC will come later this year - even if it costs 15% more than the Z400/2.8TC. If it does then I would go for the 600, before considering replacing the 100-400.
Thanks Andrew............when you do buy the expected 600/4 TC, I'll take the Z400TC off your hands, as it might be the ONLY way I'll get that 400 ATM. :rolleyes:

I read awhile back that Canon had patented a 200-500 f/4 with a built in teleconverter for the RF mount. It’s been rumored for a few years now I believe. That would be a great spec for a Nikon Z lens as technology has significantly dropped the weight of super telephotos.

Thanks Andrew............when you do buy the expected 600/4 TC, I'll take the Z400TC off your hands, as it might be the ONLY way I'll get that 400 ATM. :rolleyes:
No chance -- have no doubt the Z400/2.8TC is the easier lens to justify. It helps if one has a legacy of earlier versions to sell to fund the purchase.
While I currently luv the 800/6.3PF as a backup lens for the Z400/2.8TC - my preference was and is for the Z600/4+ITC as my primary lens for africa -- if as I expect it will cost 15% more than the 400 it will be a budget killer. So I will have to sell my F mount 400 and 600 AND the 800/6.3PF. Z600/4 with an ITC then this lens is both a 600/4 and 840/5.6 and probably also a similar weight to the Z400/2.8TC.
Some anticipate that it will not come with an ITC -- if it does not then the pre-order indication I gave my supplier will not be taken up. And I will keep the 800/6.3PF.
Here is hoping Nikon's launch event in "October????" tells us all what they will be releasing soon. [The 6 remaining lenses on the road map and who knows how many bodies with what capabilities?]
I am looking forward to watching the Hasselblad X2D launch event on Wednesday and to see the pricing of a 100mp X body. It has been heavily trailed on PhotoRumours. AND this would become my primary body for Landscape and Studio. The only missing element is a PCE adapter for the X system.

No chance -- have no doubt the Z400/2.8TC is the easier lens to justify. It helps if one has a legacy of earlier versions to sell to fund the purchase.
While I currently luv the 800/6.3PF as a backup lens for the Z400/2.8TC - my preference was and is for the Z600/4+ITC as my primary lens for africa -- if as I expect it will cost 15% more than the 400 it will be a budget killer.
My offer was very much tongue in cheek Andrew! ;)
My thoughts exactly, my intention for the Z400TC is to be my primary African wildlife lens, (as was my 400FL) and as much as I love the flexibility of my (heavier) 180-400 zoom, you just cant go past the f/2.8 for the early dawn/dusk lighting conditions, now with the added bonus of the in-built 1.4tc makes this a no brainer for me.

I'll likely pass on the new 600, especially IF it's not w/tc.

My offer was very much tongue in cheek Andrew! ;)
My thoughts exactly, my intention for the Z400TC is to be my primary African wildlife lens, (as was my 400FL) and as much as I love the flexibility of my (heavier) 180-400 zoom, you just cant go past the f/2.8 for the early dawn/dusk lighting conditions, now with the added bonus of the in-built 1.4tc makes this a no brainer for me.

I'll likely pass on the new 600, especially IF it's not w/tc.
Sure I got it.
The 400/2.8 is my predawn lens of choice for lions and animals, like Rhinos waking up. AND for close up action -- see male leopard below
BUT -- 60%+ of my shots were taken at 600mm or longer. And about 1/3rd of these were with 600+TC14. The point of view of the 600+TC14 from a Safari vehicle is super cool. See the lioness feeding while her cubs are playing taken at 850mm.

20170309-08-28-55_D504246 WM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20170309-07-38-50_C021115 WM.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I tend to shoot from the front left seat using a bean bag - sometimes using a panning plate - the lowest spot in a typical safari vehicle (almost all are based on a Toyota Land Cruiser or HiLux and converted in a shop in the Republic of Tanzania).
The "trick" is to shoot from lower and lower, which is a bugbear of mine. Using a 600mm gives the look of shooting low. But nothing beats actually shooting from very low.
Sure of one of shots one can dangle a camera using a monopod out of a window and use a trigger/snapbridge but this is really only good for wide angle shooting when the subject is very close.
I have shot laying down in the rear with the door open -- but this is not the safest/easiest way to do this. AND you need a good lookout.
A few years ago I investigated options to remove a door from a safari vehicle to be able to shoot lower, but the cost was prohibitive for anything less than a whole season. The only choice I found at the time was to replace the first door in the rear compartment with a 1/4 r 1/2 height door and camera support, but one has to rig a safety barrier to ensure that lions and hyena cannot get inside the vehicle. No issue with cheetah - like Malaika who are well know for climbing on board.
I worked with Sunworld Safaris who have a vehicle set up for video shooting but at $250 per day (plus tips) one needs a huge budget to use it.
The other option is to match what Jeffrey Wu has done, which is to fit a side tray door mount and video head on a slider/gimbal. I recently came across a potential solution made by GimPro, which clamps onto the door - but again I would have to do a deal with the camp to be able to fit it. AND I would also need to complete lots of testing to see just how robust and secure it is. I looked at over window mount solutions (like Kirk and Matthews) and magnetic hostess tray solution but am not impressed by either -- too large or too tiny. The answer will be to speak to the guys in Tanzania who make the bulk of safari vehicles for Kenya and Tanzania to see what they have or a production company in Nairobi. But I am not there yet.

Last edited:
Sure I got it.
The 400/2.8 is my predawn lens of choice for lions and animals, like Rhinos waking up. AND for close up action -- see male leopard below
BUT -- 60%+ of my shots were taken at 600mm or longer. And about 1/3rd of these were with 600+TC14. The point of view of the 600+TC14 from a Safari vehicle is super cool. See the lioness feeding while her cubs are playing taken at 850mm.

View attachment 45998
View attachment 45999
I tend to shoot from the front left seat using a bean bag - sometimes using a panning plate - the lowest spot in a typical safari vehicle (almost all are based on a Toyota Land Cruiser or HiLux and converted in a shop in the Republic of Tanzania).
The "trick" is to shoot from lower and lower, which is a bugbear of mine. Using a 600mm gives the look of shooting low. But nothing beats actually shooting from very low.
Sure of one of shots one can dangle a camera using a monopod out of a window and use a trigger/snapbridge but this is really only good for wide angle shooting when the subject is very close.

We sing from the same hymn sheet Andrew ;)

I shoot from the front pax seat (PV) only and after photographing African wildlife since '81 have tried all means of camera supports to the ones you mention and still cannot find
anything better than a decent heavy beanbag w/handheld prime lens. I avoid the pop top vehicles of Kenya/TZ and now exclusively use an open type w/fold down screen.
I do fancy that RED camera setup however, that looks very cool. (y)

Our African paths must have crossed a few times over the decades without both knowing it. :)

.........apologies @RichF for going off track a little.

I don't own a 180-400, so I probably shouldn't speak too much about it, but I think it begs a comparison to the coming 200-600, and that lens is likely to be ~$10K cheaper and somewhat smaller/lighter.

I think Nikon would have an easier time selling a Z mount 120-300/2.8 than 180-400/4. That said, I don't think either lens will be updated anytime soon, in the face of a 2023 lens lineup that has two long zooms and many long primes. The Z lineup has very few holes now, and I daresay they have the most comprehensive telephoto lineup on the market already. I suspect a compact telezoom, superfast portraits, and some compact primes would be bigger moneymakers for Nikon.

I don't own a 180-400, so I probably shouldn't speak too much about it, but I think it begs a comparison to the coming 200-600, and that lens is likely to be ~$10K cheaper and somewhat smaller/lighter.

I think Nikon would have an easier time selling a Z mount 120-300/2.8 than 180-400/4. That said, I don't think either lens will be updated anytime soon, in the face of a 2023 lens lineup that has two long zooms and many long primes. The Z lineup has very few holes now, and I daresay they have the most comprehensive telephoto lineup on the market already. I suspect a compact telezoom, superfast portraits, and some compact primes would be bigger moneymakers for Nikon.
The 200-600 is akin to the 200-500. Great consumer lens but not built to the level of a 180-400.

For many wildlife photographers, the 180-400 is a goto lens

I am considering selling my 180-400 TC f/4 in pristine like-new condition with the case and the original box owing to my age and inability to hold it without a support. Contact me if interested. It is indeed a truly fine lens.
Jeffrey Pawlan [email protected]

A few ideas I have update the lens to a Z mount, shave a pound or two off it (look at the 400 F/4.5 as a example of light weight lens), possible extend the range either on the wide side to 150 or so or on the long end to 420/440. The longer the lens gets the bigger the front element will need to be and this will result in weight gain. Replace the 1.4 TC with a 1.7 TC. This would extend the range from 550 to 680, though a cost of another half stop of light. Not sure if this possible without sacrificing optical quality, but include fresnel elements (i.e., a PF lens).

Thoughts?
At the risk of sounding like a newbie, I have a question. I am a relatively new owner of the 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED. I also found a Z100-400 about a week after I got the 80-400 F lens. What is the primary difference between the two F lenses. Is there a reason that giving up 100mm on the short end would benefit me if I ever decided to add a 180-400 to my lens pile? Is the 180-400 an f/4 lens? I do get that on older cameras that the stop or half stop whatever it is made a serious difference.

Educate me please. I like really cool lenses.

FYI...for anyone who advised me about the 200mm Nikon macro when I posted the question about it a while back thank you. I just got a like new 180 Sigma f.2.8 two days ago for just over $700 and it is amazing. I couldn't get past the M/A collar thing with the Nikon 200.

It depends on what camera (s) and above all your genres.
The 80-400 G will deliver on DSLRs and have more precise focus on a Zed MILC with FTZ adapter. Earlier copies are reported to suffer copy variation, and it's been superseded.

The 100-400 S is Z mount only and a much improved telephoto zoom. It pairs Very well with the Z Teleconverters.

The 180-400 f4 TC14 was released in 2018 and has been unaffordable for most of us, until the past year; Used copies have become available at unprecedented prices (how I could afford my copy). It is unique in my experience but it weighs 3.5kg . However having 180-560 f4/5.6 is highly versatile on a DSLR or Zed camera. This Pro zoom replaced the venerable 200-400 f4

There're links in this forum to Brad Hill's talks and blog posts... He's used and reviewed almost all these telephotos: many detailed reports in his Blog

Also, Thom Hogan's reviews are highly recommended...

Last edited:
It depends on what camera (s) and above all your genres.
The 80-400 G will deliver on DSLRs and have more precise focus on a Zed MILC with FTZ adapter.
The 100-400 S is Z mount only and a much improved telephoto zoom. It pairs Very well with the Z Teleconverters.
The 180-400 f4 TC14 was released in 2018 and has been unaffordable for most of us until Used copies have become available at unprecedented prices (how I could afford my copy). It is unique in my experience but it weighs 3.5kg . However having 180-560 f4/5.6 is highly versatile on a DSLR or Zed camera.
Search for links in this fOrum for links to Brad Hill's talks and blog posts... He's used them all and reviewed
Also, Thom Hogan's reviews are highly recommended...

Thank you for sure. I'll be checking out the articles later tonight.

I had no idea of what a 180-400 cost when I posted the question. I usually forget what I learned during my shopping research process about the time I hit enter to buy something. It's kind of coming back to me now that the 180-400 probably costs around what they want for the used BMW X suv I have been looking at for a couple of years. My 180-400 shopping research no doubt amounted to thinking "How much is it?" followed by "Never mind!".

Actually, now I am also remembering the 80mm part was a factor for me using it as a carry around lens. I have kind of changed my mind about it being a carry around lens after spinaI spasms and a major crook in my neck that took two weeks to go away from carrying it around straped to my right hand for several hours , several days in a row. I look at it more of a great tripod mounted, tethering lens on a D850 or 500 now. I get the concept of Z lenses only working on Z bodies. I have f and z 105s and f and z 70-200s among others and the S series stuff is worth having both.

I've made a of great images with the 80-400 but the instant I took the 100-400 out of the box and twisted it onto a Z body I liked the F lens a whole lot less. But it's still a great lens.

You've pretty much jogged my memory about the 180-400. I want one but will probably have to inherit it from someone to get one.
And there's always the chance I could hit the Megamillions.

Thanks again.

Sure I got it.

View attachment 45998
View attachment 45999
I have shot laying down in the rear with the door open -- but this is not the safest/easiest way to do this. AND you need a good lookout.
A few years ago I investigated options to remove a door from a safari vehicle to be able to shoot lower, but the cost was prohibitive for anything less than a whole season. The only choice I found at the time was to replace the first door in the rear compartment with a 1/4 r 1/2 height door and camera support, but one has to rig a safety barrier to ensure that lions and hyena cannot get inside the vehicle. No issue with cheetah - like Malaika who are well know for climbing on board.
I worked with Sunworld Safaris who have a vehicle set up for video shooting but at $250 per day (plus tips) one needs a huge budget to use it.
The other option is to match what Jeffrey Wu has done, which is to fit a side tray door mount and video head on a slider/gimbal. I recently came across a potential solution made by GimPro, which clamps onto the door - but again I would have to do a deal with the camp to be able to fit it. AND I would also need to complete lots of testing to see just how robust and secure it is. I looked at over window mount solutions (like Kirk and Matthews) and magnetic hostess tray solution but am not impressed by either -- too large or too tiny. The answer will be to speak to the guys in Tanzania who make the bulk of safari vehicles for Kenya and Tanzania to see what they have or a production company in Nairobi. But I am not there yet.
Great images. I'm shopping for a lens that would allow me to take photos of big cats and rhinos. Can you recommend something that's sharp at about 8,000 miles, Andy? :)

Thoughts?
Z mount doesn't have a 1.7x yet and may never have but the 1.4x is one of the best teleconverters i've ever used - and I hate teleconverters.
The 400mm f4.5 is a good lens with fairly fast autofocus.
I 've found that there are not many lenses will be the same build quality as the 180-400mm AFS lens (but its much heavier than the new 400mm or 800mm Z lenses..🦘

Back