Thoughts on this one? Taken with Nikon Z7II and Nikon 800mm Z

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

20220528-RPG_2464-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If this was my shot I would crop in and go 4x5. The space to the right is, to me, greater than needed. Also, I'd like to crop in to better see the little caterpillar or whatever it is the bird has captured. Great picture and nice job capturing this moment in time.

Nice position on the bird, interesting lighting, clean BG, and the bird having prey in its beak is a nice addition. I agree with @Woodyg3 on cropping tighter. It's not an environmental shot so a bit tighter would be preferred IMO. I'd also darken whatever portion of the bright spot at upper right that is not eliminated by cropping.

I would say lighting is not Ideal, nor the perch. Background is okay but need to clone the bright spot. In general, for song birds smaller perch would be more attractive.
We need to pay more attention to the angle of light which is coming more from the top.

I think your instincts are good, you're looking for a bird doing some sort of action, not just sitting on a branch. There is a saying in photography that if you think you are close enough, get closer. These days a lot of people do that with a tighter crop. But get closer whenever you can, unless you are shooting for an environmental shot. I think it would be good if people also included the software they use to process, as in this case you would not need to clone the bright spots out if you used software where you could simply paint over the bright spots to make them darker, in the event they were not cropped out. As others have said, the bird needs to fill more of the frame as the bird is the subject. Also, I tend to like my subjects bright enough that details can be seen, this would take place in processing. But it could be you are a JPEG shooter and let the camera decide your fate, this kind of information would be good to know, too.

Last edited:
Back