Tiny dinosaurs

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Came upon three baby Common Snapping Turtles (photos are of two of these tiny prehistoric beauties; the snapshot is from my phone to show size); very clearly recently hatched, with September the season for that in this part of the world. They were on a rocky walking trail cut through very thick underbrush through a series of marshy ponds. I steered a couple of mountain bikers around them (who clearly thought I was just anti cyclist utterly unaware of what was nearly under tire) and two pedestrians who likewise would not have noticed. At that, I gave each turtle a 'lift' to the edge of the marsh; least I could do as they're a species at risk. I did not think for a minute to test, even at their likely being hours old, the crushing force of their tiny jaws :) The three were utterly unanimated even when I picked them up until I set them near the water and then they showed how agile (and quick) they were to climb through the detritus; one immediately tried to bury itself in the mud, but got stopped at total submerging by roots or the like so moved on. This was not the same location (some couple hundred kms away) from the spot where I photographed female snappers laying their eggs this past spring. Not the best subject size to be using the 500 mm; of course the macro lens was in the car. This encounter made my day!
baby turtle one sized_.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
baby turtle two sized_.jpg
sized snapshot.jpg

Came upon three baby Common Snapping Turtles (photos are of two of these tiny prehistoric beauties; the snapshot is from my phone to show size); very clearly recently hatched, with September the season for that in this part of the world. They were on a rocky walking trail cut through very thick underbrush through a series of marshy ponds. I steered a couple of mountain bikers around them (who clearly thought I was just anti cyclist utterly unaware of what was nearly under tire) and two pedestrians who likewise would not have noticed. At that, I gave each turtle a 'lift' to the edge of the marsh; least I could do as they're a species at risk. I did not think for a minute to test, even at their likely being hours old, the crushing force of their tiny jaws :) The three were utterly unanimated even when I picked them up until I set them near the water and then they showed how agile (and quick) they were to climb through the detritus; one immediately tried to bury itself in the mud, but got stopped at total submerging by roots or the like so moved on. This was not the same location (some couple hundred kms away) from the spot where I photographed female snappers laying their eggs this past spring. Not the best subject size to be using the 500 mm; of course the macro lens was in the car. This encounter made my day!
View attachment 69574View attachment 69575 View attachment 69577
Very cool. As a kid we use to catch them at a nearby marsh. 👍👍👍

Very cool. As a kid we use to catch them at a nearby marsh. 👍👍👍
Thanks, Ralph! Yah we had a marsh right behind our house when I was growing up but never saw the little snappers; used to drag the adults off our lawn back to the water on occasion tho :) I was pretty stoked to finally spot these tiny guys :)

Looks like you got your stomach dirty :) Great shots with the nice, low perspective.
Thanks much! Actually forgot to wear my knee pads, and so luckily had the pull out LCD on the Z9 to rescue me on the perspective front :) I would have preferred to get down on my belly but I might never have gotten up on all that crushed rock and gravel LOL

Back