Tiny Hunter - Northern Saw-whet Owl

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

WOW!! Amazing, Rudy! I love it! :love:
The film is perfectly made! Everything fits together - narration, music and the cut. (y)
What for e beautiful creature!
Hi Elena,
Thank you so much for your very kind and generous words.

As always, there are some flaws and deficiencies in this video, but nevertheless I can honestly say that I am happy with the result. As a life-long Nikon user since 1978 and then 15 months ago switching to Canon, and at the same time going from DSLR to mirrorless was a huge change for me. Also, learning how to become an effective hybrid-shooter rapidly switching back-and-forth between stills photography and video recording was quite a challenge for me. Now, after 15 months of regular shooting with my Canon R5 I am finally getting comfortable handling my equipment.

Have a great day! :)
Rudy

As always, there are some flaws and deficiencies in this video, but nevertheless I can honestly say that I am happy with the result. As a life-long Nikon user since 1978 and then 15 months ago switching to Canon, and at the same time going from DSLR to mirrorless was a huge change for me. Also, learning how to become an effective hybrid-shooter rapidly switching back-and-forth between stills photography and video recording was quite a challenge for me. Now, after 15 months of regular shooting with my Canon R5 I am finally getting comfortable handling my equipment.
WoW! Great1 And how you switch between photo and video? Screw a filter? Or you have magnetic filters?

WoW! Great1 And how you switch between photo and video? Screw a filter? Or you have magnetic filters?
Hi Elena,

I switch from doing photos to videos and back again without using any filters at all. When I need less light for a video scene I stop down the aperture until the exposure is close and make up the rest in post processing. There is an instant switching button on my Canon R5 that switches my camera from stills photography to video recording and back again. You set up all your settings beforehand for the 3 different photo channels and also the 3 different video channels. And because I don't use ND filters or any other kind of filters this switching method works great.

It's not perfect, but I find the quality without ND filters good enough for making youTube videos. If I were producing large format, high-quality output video files for commercial clients I would be doing things very differently. Years ago we did video production as part of our business we owned a Canon professional video camcorder with XLR jacks and many other pro features like built-in ND filters.

Cheers,
Rudy

Last edited:
I switch from doing photos to videos and back again without using any filters at all. When I need less light for a video scene I stop down the aperture until the exposure is close and make up the rest in post processing.
The same do I.
But now I am thinking to putchase magnetic filters. Then it shall be easy and FAST (!) to use them and I will not need to have f16 or f22 ... I would prefer rather to stay by f8-f11 and try also f2.8 - f5.6 and even f 1.4 of 105mm ... 🤔 Just a thought. Make it sense? well.. perhaps not for 105mm but many of my lenses have 77mm thread soone magnetic filter for 77mm could be ok :)

The same do I.
But now I am thinking to putchase magnetic filters. Then it shall be easy and FAST (!) to use them and I will not need to have f16 or f22 ... I would prefer rather to stay by f8-f11 and try also f2.8 - f5.6 and even f 1.4 of 105mm ... 🤔 Just a thought. Make it sense? well.. perhaps not for 105mm but many of my lenses have 77mm thread soone magnetic filter for 77mm could be ok :)
Hi Elena,
Yes, that makes perfect sense and the magnetic filters seem like a great idea, especially for someone like yourself who shoots a lot in Africa with very bright sunshine.
Rudy

Nice. My current favorite owl. I've photographed 41 of them so far this year, but it's hard to photograph them doing anything other sleeping.
Thanks very much, Wildlifr.
You've photographed 41 Saw-whets this year and it's not even March? That's astonishing!!!!
Do you post them anywhere online where I could have a look?
Cheers,
Rudy

Just a few on my flickr page, but I was thinking about doing one post on here with some of my favorites at the end of the season. They'll be gone from my area in March or so.
Flickr page
I just did a quick browse of your fabulous Flickr account. So many beautiful images and videos of beautiful owls.
My memory's not what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure that we used to be on the Nikon DX forum for a number of years and we even communicated about your enjoyment of owls.
Cheers,
Rudy

Great video Rudy after seeing a couple of these guys for the very first time and getting some pretty decent images of them this was such a treat to watch!!
Thanks for your kind comment Robert, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Great that you've seen a couple pf Saw-whets and got some nice shots!
Cheers,
Rudy

Thanks! Excellent work! We have them here in NH but I've yet to see one. Folks at a local conservation organization banded 100 of them last fall so I know they are nearby. Some day, or night, or early morning.
Thanks for watching, Chuck. Wow, a hundred Saw-whets in your area, hope you find one, they're worth searching for.
Cheers,
Rudy

I just did a quick browse of your fabulous Flickr account. So many beautiful images and videos of beautiful owls.
My memory's not what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure that we used to be on the Nikon DX forum for a number of years and we even communicated about your enjoyment of owls.
Cheers,
Rudy
Thanks for the compliments on my images/videos. Yes, I remember your name from the DPR forum. I used to shoot with a D500. I don't recall the owl conversation, but that sounds correct. I may have gotten a little more fixated on owls since then.

Back