To "lens coat" or not to "lens coat" (for a Nikon lens)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ordered covers for a few lens, in black. I know BOOOORRRIINNNNGGGG. Any tips/tricks to putting it on the lens?
Applying in good light is key. Mount lens onto a tripod, and then loosen clamp to rotate the body it as you apply. If you mess up, it's ok, you can gently pull pieces off and try again, just don't do it too much because it will stretch out. Once you get the hang of a piece or two, it gets easier.

Other than putting grip tape on the lens hoods, I've never covered either of my long lenses. I have no plans to sell either one and usually like a little patina of wear on my gear -- but after all the use the lenses have gotten the only patina on either one is on the Arca-Swiss foot of the tripod mount.

I originally had a Lenscoat but didn’t like it and started using Rolanpro which I found to be a superior product. I have been generally pleased with the Rolanpro except that they do tend to creep out of position a little. I was thinking to try alphagvard. Has anyone tried each of these and after doing so have a preference?

Applying in good light is key. Mount lens onto a tripod, and then loosen clamp to rotate the body it as you apply. If you mess up, it's ok, you can gently pull pieces off and try again, just don't do it too much because it will stretch out. Once you get the hang of a piece or two, it gets easier.
sounds like most things - once you master the skill it is easy/straightforward

I originally had a Lenscoat but didn’t like it and started using Rolanpro which I found to be a superior product. I have been generally pleased with the Rolanpro except that they do tend to creep out of position a little. I was thinking to try alphagvard. Has anyone tried each of these and after doing so have a preference?
A few years ago, I switched to Outdoor photography's neoprene covers. They are thicker, better made than Lenscoat (which broke down after a couple of years use), and they don't seem to move a lot. Wraps are great to prevent scratches and for camouflaging/personalizing a lens though I prefer the insulation/comfort of a neoprene cover. FWIW, I've cut down on the amount of padding I need when traveling and am able to fit more gear in my pack without damage.

I also have used the lens coverings offered by outdoorphotographygear.co.uk. They are less expensive than the competition and if you order the rubberized versions they are really excellent for protection, plus they don't slide around like some lens coats. They also are significantly cheaper than Lenscoat products. I have not purchased them for my most recently aquired lenses because frankly, I get bored with seeing the same patterns over and over again. This is true for Lenscoat products, as well.

Also, I don't usually use all of the pieces, just ones for the hood and the parts of the lens most likely to get dinged.

Just got the “Mid-knight” wrap for my 600PF. It looks a lot less “silvery” than what’s depicted, it’s a more subtle gray.

IMG_6078.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I haven’t used lens coats but wish I had. When I go looking for birds and animals to photograph I cover myself in Bushman’s spray to deter ticks and leeches.

Unfortunately I inadvertently left some of the spray on my hands and while using the lens the left over spay on my hands caused parts of the white lettering to dissolve on my Nikon 500 f5.6 PF Lens.

Had I used a lens coat the lettering would have had a bit of protection.

Operationally the lens is fine.

I have no idea if I can have the lettering redone.

Lesson learned though. Wipe my hands thoroughly after applying insect spray and before using my gear.

Rolanpro, Outdoor photography gear are excellent but also check out ONC Photo and Fujing. I received the latter for my PF600 and its excellent in my opinion. All available through EBAY
Rene de Heer

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpeg
    IMG_5450.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
As with Canon, all makes of camera equipment are prone to scratches and marks. It doesn't matter how careful you think you are, it will happen.
I live in the UK so my answer on recommended lens coats will no doubt be different.
I found certain companies selling 'lenscoats' to be asking extortionate prices. In he UK I always use a company called Outdoorphotographygear.
They sell a rubber backed neoprene coat that is non slip on the lens, excellent quality and the best part, half the price of other companies.
I would always recommend using a lens coat and I prefer the neoprene as gives you that spongy protection against knocks.
Outdoor Photography Gear sell in the US as well. Just ordered the cover for the new Z 600 f6.3.

Yeah, primary purpose is for abrasion and wear protection while not adding more bulk to the lens with a neoprene LensCoat cover. Style & looks are secondary, but admittedly I do want my lenses to look somewhat cool :cool:

Captured a better quality photo of my lenses this morning using a a Canon R5 + RF 24-70 f/2.8L and a Colorchecker Passport to get proper white balance: Mid-Knight, Tiger Stripe, and Urban Camo. I'd have gone with Urban Camo on all the lenses if it had been darker like the Tiger Stripe.
Canon EOS R5untitled_20231122_04.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Yeah, primary purpose is for abrasion and wear protection while not adding more bulk to the lens with a neoprene LensCoat cover. Style & looks are secondary, but admittedly I do want my lenses to look somewhat cool :cool:

Captured a better quality photo of my lenses this morning using a a Canon R5 + RF 24-70 f/2.8L and a Colorchecker Passport to get proper white balance: Mid-Knight, Tiger Stripe, and Urban Camo. I'd have gone with Urban Camo on all the lenses if it had been darker like the Tiger Stripe.
View attachment 74899
Well done!
You make it look like a professional 'lens dresser' ;) :) did the work. If I tried that it'd probably end up in the trash.

Well done!
You make it look like a professional 'lens dresser' ;) :) did the work. If I tried that it'd probably end up in the trash.
Thank you, sir! It gets a ton easier the more you do; if you were to closely inspect each lens, you can see the progression of my results from janky to decent as I figured out little nuances to the process. This latest Mid-Knight kit went on almost flawlessly, I barely had to snip any excess material.

Thank you, sir! It gets a ton easier the more you do; if you were to closely inspect each lens, you can see the progression of my results from janky to decent as I figured out little nuances to the process. This latest Mid-Knight kit went on almost flawlessly, I barely had to snip any excess material.
If you were closer I'd be bugging/paying you to do mine. I think I'd probably get annoyed with my screwups and end up tossing it (the lens coat, not the lens.....lol ). But I may give it a go at some point when I feel the need to get flustered... :unsure:;) :cool:

Rolanpro, Outdoor photography gear are excellent but also check out ONC Photo and Fujing. I received the latter for my PF600 and its excellent in my opinion. All available through EBAY
Rene de Heer
I like that pattern! Also like the little "oven mitt" that goes over the lens foot, that'd be really nice for hand-held shooting.

If you were closer I'd be bugging/paying you to do mine. I think I'd probably get annoyed with my screwups and end up tossing it (the lens coat, not the lens.....lol ). But I may give it a go at some point when I feel the need to get flustered... :unsure:;) :cool:
I'd totally help out, with the caveat to not expect perfection ;)

Maybe order a small one first, for like the 1.4TC and try your hand at it. Don't worry if you mess it up, it peels off and you can try it again, just be gentle and don't stretch the material too much. You got this!

Last edited:
Back