To Spike or Not?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Spikes Outside or regular feet?

• Total voters
I am curious for those of you using a tripod in the field are you using spiked feet or the regular rubber feet?
Rubber feet.

I once had spiked feet for an older aluminum Gitzo but I found them more trouble than they were worth, sketchy on rock surfaces, sometimes grabbed into softer soils before the legs were fully splayed out, easy to catch on an arm or leg or upholstery when taking the tripod in and out of the car. Seems they can probably add some stability in a few situations but overall not worth the hassle.

I've never had the need for spiked feet on a tripod. I recently replaced the rubber foot on my monopod with a spiked one because I'm afraid the constant pivoting on the foot will prematurely wear out the rubber. That's not the case with a tripod, though.

I've never needed them. A large percentage of my photography is in sand, so spikes would sink in too much. But even on solid ground I've never needed them.

Rubber feet for me also .. I got a FREE set of spikes which came with the Leofoto Tripod but never used them , can`t say I`ve ever had the need to use them either..

Harry.G

I've used the spikes on the first tripod I ever owned once. They didn't really help then, so I've never tried using them again. I've never set up on snow or ice, though.

So, my answer is that I use the rubber feet.

Rubber for me. I can only see spikes useful for icy conditions. Some places don’t even like tripods at all. Been asked to put it back in the car on several occasions. Their concerns seem to be around rubber marks on floors or potential hazard to others.

Spikes on my Benro.
In sand I feel it's better then the rubber ones. There are ones for rocks which I'm considering, they grab better to the rocks then the spikes.

The spikes do have one problem, careful when you lift the tripod and walk at the same time. Those spikes, are not your legs best friend.

I am curious for those of you using a tripod in the field are you using spiked feet or the regular rubber feet?
In most cases rubber feet will be fine.
On sand an old CD/DVD on each foot will do if you dont have any sand feet.
As for Snow I would expect it to be similar to sand. (We dont get much snow in Australia)...

At least around here, spiked feet on rock aren't a good idea. There are a lot of places with smooth granite and I had several cases where the spiked feet just skidded. Back to rubber. I suppose if I went ice fishing I might put them back :)

In most cases rubber feet will be fine.
On sand an old CD/DVD on each foot will do if you dont have any sand feet.
As for Snow I would expect it to be similar to sand. (We dont get much snow in Australia)...
If you have a look at one of Steve’s videos he advises that sinking the tripod feed into the sand a little is beneficial. I’d have thought that putting CD’s under the feet would make things much less stable, not to mention the mucking around.

The reason for sand feet or CDs is that the sand doesnt support tripod feet very well.
Wet sand is not so bad but sinking my tripod legs a foot or so in dry sand is less appealing than using sand shoes.

Both (Depending)
As a matter of fact Dave the man behind ‘the centercolumn site’ tested spikes vs rubber feet and he found some very interesting data.

/edit
Should have added my tripod came with spikes with rubber caps.

Back