Too much information!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I can give you an example that happened to me at a local park 2 months ago. I was talking to a young lady that had only been photographing a couple years and told me she really admired the work I post on local groups. She went into asking about my gear and at that time I was out with my A1 and 600mmGM. She asked the cost and gasped whenever I told her the cost. She immediately said "I guess I should just not waste my time because I will never be able to afford a setup like that" That made me feel like crap! I took the time to explain to her that we all start somewhere and your setup is very capable, but nonetheless she left pretty discouraged. That's my only point

Again, we're all different in most respects but I do not see the need to post gear specifics in every single photo we post online. EXIF data is fine and very useful in some situations but lets be real, You're not going to get the same image quality shooting a D3400 and 70-300mm as someone shooting a Sony A1 Nikon Z9 with a $13K prime and I have seen firsthand folks being discouraged by that mere fact.
So it's better to not say what people are using and let those people be frustrated? The tow of gear is going to come out when those people are asking why they aren't getting good shots.

You don't have to have a Z9 or A1 and a $13k lens to get good shots. I was getting wall hangers with a D500 and a 500PF lens. My total cost was $3500 4 years ago. You don't have to spend $20k on gear for great images, far far from it

I moved on to a Z9 and 800PF when they both became available.

So it's better to not say what people are using and let those people be frustrated? The tow of gear is going to come out when those people are asking why they aren't getting good shots.

You don't have to have a Z9 or A1 and a $13k lens to get good shots. I was getting wall hangers with a D500 and a 500PF lens. My total cost was $3500 4 years ago. You don't have to spend $20k on gear for great images, far far from it

Not the point and not going to argue with you. I have an image hanging upstairs that was taken with an iPhone 10 so I understand many and every camera is capable.

I can give you an example that happened to me at a local park 2 months ago. I was talking to a young lady that had only been photographing a couple years and told me she really admired the work I post on local groups. She went into asking about my gear and at that time I was out with my A1 and 600mmGM. She asked the cost and gasped whenever I told her the cost. She immediately said "I guess I should just not waste my time because I will never be able to afford a setup like that" That made me feel like crap! I took the time to explain to her that we all start somewhere and your setup is very capable, but nonetheless she left pretty discouraged. That's my only point
That's on you from discouraging her. There is no reason not to explain to her that you don't need to spend that much on gear for great images. A bit misleading.

Last edited:
I hear you 100% on that - and yes - a very good friend of mine still shoots with the D500 and 200-500. I have to permanently hear the same kind of comments. It is very unnecessary - I shot that combo myself for many years - with great success. But it does leave me feeling bad for her and I end up giving gear away more than I should because I feel bad. Very unfortunate.

Here on the forums it's on by default and I'm simply too lazy to turn it off. It also doesn't hurt anything and newer photographers could get something from it. Everywhere else, I don't share unless asked.
Where do you turn it on or off? I am one who likes to see the camera settings so I can learn. When I download images to the forum I use Steve's LR preset. They show up on the forum as small images, which can be clicked to enlarge, and no EXIF data. Am I missing a step? How can I include the camera settings?

Where do you turn it on or off? I am one who likes to see the camera settings so I can learn. When I download images to the forum I use Steve's LR preset. They show up on the forum as small images, which can be clicked to enlarge, and no EXIF data. Am I missing a step? How can I include the camera settings?
The first step is to make sure your LR Export dialog box is set to include shooting data. There's a pull down menu towards the bottom of the export dialog box that lets you set what you want to include in terms of metadata.

Here's what that dialog pull down looks like:
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 10.00.43 AM.png

If you don't include the EXIF data with the file it won't be shown on your forum post so make sure you've got that set up as shown above.

There are several ways to include an image in forum posts but the method I use is:
- Hit Ctrl-P (Cmd-P on a Mac) from the position in your post where you'd like to see the photo
- Browse to where you saved the exported jpeg
- Select the photo using the button down in the lower right of the insert browsing dialog box

That's it. When you do the steps above you'll also see two buttons, one to insert a thumbnail and one for a full size image. Ignore both of those, if you press either of those buttons you'll end up with two copies of your image in the post. Following the steps above should give you one full size image in-line with your text at the position your cursor was in when you hit Ctrl-P. That's how I just added the screenshot above to this post.

I hear you 100% on that - and yes - a very good friend of mine still shoots with the D500 and 200-500. I have to permanently hear the same kind of comments. It is very unnecessary - I shot that combo myself for many years - with great success. But it does leave me feeling bad for her and I end up giving gear away more than I should because I feel bad. Very unfortunate.
Chuckle. I just did a minor upgrade TO a used D500 from a D7500 (I now have both, 7500 the backup). I do have the 500 pf, which is an awesome lens, still use a Tamron 100-400 (lots of bang for the buck) plus a Tamron 90 macro (this is a nice lens). And, well, I think the 7500 is a pretty good crop sensor camera as well. I have tried the 200-500 and actually think the 500 pf is definitely preferable (available used for a much better price now!).

The main time I feel "under equipped" is that I think some of the AF modes in the top of the line mirrorless make grabbing BIF (or moving critters in general) with the desired composition easier. And of course at times I wish I had the "lots of pixels" image that a full frame might give me. Sometimes it matters.

The upgrade to a good mirrorless will happen.

For things like BIF the equipment really matters, so .... I'm not sure what one should say about gear questions if the person asking has gear that will make it really hard to get good photos of such things. You don't want to discourage, but in reality something like a D500 and 500 pf, much less the top end gear, is going to get much much better pictures over somebody with a low end dSLR and a more basic lens for wildlife*. What (serious question) would you suggest a person being asked say?

* Also, it really matters if you know how to post-process RAW images. And a lot of people lack either the time or the interest to do that.

inreach is two-way text communication to whoever you want and there is an SOS feature that goes to a garmin call center. inreach requires a monthly subscription. they do have a basic "emergency only" plan but it's non trivial. BUT much cheaper than sat phone.

the plb uses the same technology but is one-way to a govt run call center (noaa? you register it with noaa at least). there is no monthly subscription. just buy it, register it and carry it.

personally i have both. we got a very small plb, it just goes and lives in the bag. the we use inreach integrated into our gps.

My brother was on a motorcycle trip in South America. He carried one of the high end InReach devices the entire trip, from Seattle through Central America, the Pacific Coast of SA until things went bad on the Coast of Argentina. He dumped his bike in a patch of soft sand while looking for penguins and pretty well messed himself up. I got the call from the call center before he arrived at the hospital. A couple of farm hands with a flat bed truck found him and threw him and his bike on the truck and hauled him toward town. The truck met the ambulance that InReach notified somewhere along the way and he was transported the rest of the way in the ambulance. The farm hands dropped his bike at the police station and were never seen again.

Everything InReach claimed it could do, it did. Once he was at the hospital things got all wrapped up in insurance. Fortunately, he bought a rather expensive medical insurance policy that medevac’d him home from remote Argentina. So, the real fun begins after you are delivered to the hospital. InReach is a great alternative but only part of the answer.

Bragging...a little, but I got some wall hangers and won some competitions with my D 50 and D 90, and a couple of lenses that had been with me through 2-3 film cameras, and got grandfathered into Digital. Despite the ingrained notion that "Expen$ive is better", It's the Indian, not the arrow! :giggle:

I won’t even disclose where I’m taking images unless someone just asks. The reason for that is I feel that I put a lot of hours into finding locations that I see a lot of wildlife and I’ve spent many many hours scoping out these places and really don’t feel the need to just do all the work and have someone else sweep the benefits, but perhaps I’m wrong for feeling that way
Mushroom hunters feel the same 😉

I don't post many photos but when I do I strip out everything but the copyright. I don't mind that others want to post theirs. De gustibus. AKA it's all good. I can ignore the little exif thing no problem or once in a while will peek at it out of curiosity. If someone asks I would tell, if I recalled or wanted to bother to look it up. but don't usually ask others unless they are seeking help.

Everything InReach claimed it could do, it did.

So, the real fun begins after you are delivered to the hospital.

InReach is a great alternative but only part of the answer.

absolutely.

growing up in alaska i’m very cognizant that nothing is assured.

people sometimes think you push a button and you are saved, but the reality is it rescue may not happen for days, if that. weather, location, etc can all be factors.

and as you say even if rescued, that’s not the end of the story.

imo one needs to be prepared to self rescue to the extent they can, to survive on your own for as long as possible and to understand that nothing is assured and that ultimately we put ourselves out there and are ultimately responsible for getting ourselves back out

that said, in order to give us the best chance we should stack the deck in our favor. your brother’s buying the insurance is a great example of that. each layer we can add helps our chances

I was working for a large Western daily newspaper, and did a story about two women who were stationed at a remote fire watch tower. I was concerned about posting their exact location, and made that point to my Editor. He prevailed of course, but I never heard of any negative results from including the location. It may have had something to do with the fact they had a shotgun, and knew how to use it!

The first step is to make sure your LR Export dialog box is set to include shooting data. There's a pull down menu towards the bottom of the export dialog box that lets you set what you want to include in terms of metadata.

Here's what that dialog pull down looks like:
View attachment 75641

If you don't include the EXIF data with the file it won't be shown on your forum post so make sure you've got that set up as shown above.

There are several ways to include an image in forum posts but the method I use is:
- Hit Ctrl-P (Cmd-P on a Mac) from the position in your post where you'd like to see the photo
- Browse to where you saved the exported jpeg
- Select the photo using the button down in the lower right of the insert browsing dialog box

That's it. When you do the steps above you'll also see two buttons, one to insert a thumbnail and one for a full size image. Ignore both of those, if you press either of those buttons you'll end up with two copies of your image in the post. Following the steps above should give you one full size image in-line with your text at the position your cursor was in when you hit Ctrl-P. That's how I just added the screenshot above to this post.
Thanks! I have had "All Metadata" checked, as well as "Remove Person info" and "Remove Location Info" just as in you screenshot, so I don't think that's my problem. I've been using the "Attach files" button to put the images in the post. I wonder if I've been losing the data by using that method?

I don’t have a problem telling what camera and lens I used and I usually do it when I post on this forum. People are interested in knowing what you use. I don’t worry about theft, it seems highly unlikely someone would make the effort to find me when there are easier ways to steal things.

I add the information as a teaching tool to help budding photographers. When I was starting out (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) I often wondered what was needed to shoot the incredible pictures I was seeing. I started with a Kodak Brownie at six years old. I feel it's a way to encourage others to get into this incredible hobby. I have been thanked (especially on Facebook) for sharing my settings. So, I plan to continue doing so.

I add the information as a teaching tool to help budding photographers. When I was starting out (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) I often wondered what was needed to shoot the incredible pictures I was seeing. I started with a Kodak Brownie at six years old. I feel it's a way to encourage others to get into this incredible hobby. I have been thanked (especially on Facebook) for sharing my settings. So, I plan to continue doing so.
Will you please post some of your dinosaur images? You may add any additional data you choose. :)

I'm more interested in the camera settings and any post processing done being posted rather than the gear. The only time I'm really interested in seeing the gear info is when I'm contemplating whether or not I should invest in a 600 f/4.

My brother was on a motorcycle trip in South America. He carried one of the high end InReach devices the entire trip, from Seattle through Central America, the Pacific Coast of SA until things went bad on the Coast of Argentina. He dumped his bike in a patch of soft sand while looking for penguins and pretty well messed himself up. I got the call from the call center before he arrived at the hospital. A couple of farm hands with a flat bed truck found him and threw him and his bike on the truck and hauled him toward town. The truck met the ambulance that InReach notified somewhere along the way and he was transported the rest of the way in the ambulance. The farm hands dropped his bike at the police station and were never seen again.

Everything InReach claimed it could do, it did. Once he was at the hospital things got all wrapped up in insurance. Fortunately, he bought a rather expensive medical insurance policy that medevac’d him home from remote Argentina. So, the real fun begins after you are delivered to the hospital. InReach is a great alternative but only part of the answer.
I also ride motorcycles in South America (and elsewhere) and for that reason own an InReach. Definitely peace of mind, although I haven’t needed it so far. I’m most likely to be on a bike when I’m somewhere remote taking photos, so it’s a given that I’ll have it along. To the OP: look for the monthly plan that you can turn on and off, pretty convenient and cost-effective.

For the EXIF part of the conversation, I appreciate being able to see what others are using for their shots. It’s just a little bit more context and education. I only share my photos on forums like this and with friends and family (Ok, now and then on IG or Flickr), so not concerned about theft. And even that’s going to be managed by one’s level of aversion (or attraction) to risk.

Back