Topaz Labs question...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

AstroEd

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Question for the Topaz Labs users. Do you all still use the individual Gigapixel, denoise, and sharpen AI? OR do you use thee all in one Topaz Photo AI? Is there a difference the stand alones and the versions built into Topaz photos? AND are the stand alone versions still updated or are future updates just for Topaz Photo AI?

I still use the individual programs as well as the Photo AI app. I am trying to get better at Photo AI because I do believe that at some point Topaz will stop support for the individual programs. There haven't been many updates for the individual programs but I can't say they have stopped updating them. There have been frequent updates to the Photo AI app.

Using them all...and now the Lightroom Denoise, too.
I copy my photos from SD card to a folder on PC, load Windows Photo to do a quick delete of any out of focus images as my first culling, then import into Lightroom and cull again before editing a few of the ones I have left, I in honesty could probably delete another 75% and not lose any bad photos. I have not used lightroom yet since the latest updates.. More to learn I guess.

I usually call Denoise AI and Sharpen AI from either LrC or PS. I have Topaz Photo AI, played with it quite a bit and, as of yet, it's not part of my workflow. For me, it tends to over process and I don't seem to have the level of control I get with the individual apps. LrC version 12.3 comes with a new Noise Reduction feature that, IMHO, is actually better than Topaz DeNoise AI. It seems to maintain more of the detail while suppressing noise and there's not as much of a trade off between detail, texture and noise reduction. I haven't found anything as good or better than Sharpen AI though. It works miracles on soft or even blurry images. I wonder how long it will take Adobe to duplicate it?

I still prefer Denoise AI as I find it has more fine control and occasionally have found that Photo AI has displayed artefacts that do not occur with Denoise AI. As others have said I expect Photo AI will eventually replace the individual applications

I still have the three individual Topaz applications and Photo AI. Topaz has significantly reduced the number of updates for the individual apps and appear to be focusing all their efforts on Photo AI. Which I use depends on the photo I’m editing. My first try is usually Photo AI since it’s an all-in-one application. But, there are times when Photo AI fails, really bad. When that happens, I shift to my old workflow using whatever combination of the stand-alone apps is needed.

BUT……

Adobe’s latest release of Lightroom Classic with their AI based Denoise noise reduction is really good. So good, that I’ll likely not renew the three individual apps Topaz apps in September. So good that I find myself staying in Lightroom Classic much more. I’ve gone back and reworked some high ISO night photos I took with a Canon R7 and the new Adobe Denoise kept up very well with Topaz. If Adobe does the same in future versions with sharpening and upscaling, Topaz is going to need to shift their business model away from photo editing and back to effects and appearance products.

A question about photo AI. I know Topaz Sharpen can sharpen a single layer in photoshop, if needed for creative sharpening or output sharpening. Can Photo AI do that also?

Back