Topaz Photo AI Updated to 2.0

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodyg3

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have played around a little with the updated Photo AI. They have added lighting and color balance features in a beta form. They are really primitive and I don't see the point. A much better job can be done in Lightroom or your favorite photo processing application. If there is a difference in the sharpening and denoise features, it is subtle. I don't really see a difference. The program is still slow and clunky.

I am still using DeNoise AI on a great percentage of my pictures, and very occasionally Sharpen AI. Photo AI is too slow, and simply doesn't add a feature beyond denoise and sharpening that is any better than Lightroom, and in the case of the new lighting and color balance features, it is extremely limited.

All just my opinion, of course. :)

Thoughts?

CPU processing with PhotoAI is very slow, AUTO or preferably GPU "AI Processor" is much faster, check your preferences, you also need a fast GPU with greater than 4GB and updated video drivers.
I have had good results using 1X enhancing with a lot of images.
Denoise and Sharpen in PhotoAI automatic settings are usually too high and I reduce them by about half to get results I am happy with.
There are still a LOT of things that should be included mainly dealing with file handling and applying settings to individual or a select few images for processing from the thumbnail list.
One big bugbear for me is the software not reverting to what I have selected previously, particularly the size of the Subject selection brush(a circle?) and the Enhancing always reverting to 2X.
You also need to check Subject Selection on every image as if it misses the end of a beak or wing feathers for example they will not be processed.

Just my opinion.

CPU processing with PhotoAI is very slow, AUTO or preferably GPU "AI Processor" is much faster, check your preferences, you also need a fast GPU with greater than 4GB and updated video drivers.

Of course GPU processing will be faster with a good graphics card, and that is how I have preferences set. It is still very slow, in my opinion. :)

As I posted in their forum, they need to slow down and get the basics right. I can't export as a PSD to PS. Many other complaints. Stop with the Beta stuff, fix the basics. At this point I won't be renewing my annual.

lately I have problems exporting the file back to Lightroom after processing it in Topaz photo AI or Denoise AI as Tiff. It seems Topaz put it either on my desktop or in another folder. I tried in the preference to see if i can solve the problems, but I still does not work . Does anybody experience such problem? I am not an e pert with Topaz, and I only use it from time to time. Thank you

I think you have to give them credit for the extent of advancement in Photo AI 2.0. I scanned a 75 year old 3x3 image and upsized it for a print as an 8.5 x 11. It did a remarkable job identifying the subject and applying appropriate sharpening and enhancement. The eye glasses showed application of AI - and it was perfect. I started with PhotoAI and then went to Lightroom where I further enhanced the image subject and background.

You do need to take the time to customize AI Assist. The defaults are okay for a basic photo, but customization makes a big difference.

I think you have to give them credit for the extent of advancement in Photo AI 2.0. I scanned a 75 year old 3x3 image and upsized it for a print as an 8.5 x 11. It did a remarkable job identifying the subject and applying appropriate sharpening and enhancement. The eye glasses showed application of AI - and it was perfect. I started with PhotoAI and then went to Lightroom where I further enhanced the image subject and background.

You do need to take the time to customize AI Assist. The defaults are okay for a basic photo, but customization makes a big difference.
Completely agree - just wish it was a stable platform. Here is a link to the community forum where the issues are identified.

This link shows some explanation of the changes in the Autopilot Preferences:

Back