Topaz Photo AI vs individual programmes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

pomkiwi

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I came to Topaz through Denoise and added Sharpen and Gigapixel as part of the bundle. I have always been happiest with Denoise as I appreciate the noise reduction and relatively subtle sharpening it provides. Last year Topaz provided me with free updates to Photo AI and I feel it has improved greatly after unimpressive beginnings.

For a long time last year Topaz did not provide updates to the individual programmes whilst updating AI frequently; it was rumoured that there would be no more stand alone updates. As a result I did not renew my subscription to the stand alone package but now find they are updating individual programmes again.

Although my current plan is to continue using AI with its updates and to use my older version of Denoise for images needing less work I am interested to hear others views about the latest iterations of the standalone programmes in comparison with last years version and PhotoAI

Topaz appears to have modified their business model somewhat with integration of Denoise into Adobe LightRoom and PhotoShop. I still use DeNoise on some photos. Topaz still updates Photo AI, but (I think) not Denoise or Sharpen. I'm considering other options.

It is interesting that Topaz just released a new version of Gigapixel but the latest versions of Denoise and Sharpen are over a year old, I don't know if there is going to be an effort to update Denoise or Sharpen or not.

As for Photo AI, I have used it extensively and I am happy with the results. However I use it primarily when shooting sports. I usually export JPEGs and then run Photo AI in batch mode for noise reduction and sharpening. It is the only way I can process several hundred images in a manageable way.

Hi, just my two pence worth.
I use Topaz Denoise and on occasion Sharpen and like others received the initial version of Photo AI unfortunately IMO we were used as lab rats to test out Photo AI as it was on a continuous update rotar, every week updates and requests for feedback and a lot of unhappy people if you read there forum and not just today's posts. Seems even now they are still trying to get Photo AI to work whereas stand alone versions denoise , sharpen worked and worked very well, still use them alongside DXO pure raw, think we tend to overthink when it comes to apps and all the hype on YouTube we get led along to thinking this app or that app will fix all my bad images when truth is they won't!!! Russ.

Topaz AI has continues updates, changing every other day the interface. Changing the way its working. What worked yesterday doesn’t work today. It’s driving me nuts. With De-Noise I know what it can do. Now with photoAI its all over the place. Seems like thay can’t make up their minds

Topaz AI has continues updates, changing every other day the interface. Changing the way its working. What worked yesterday doesn’t work today. It’s driving me nuts. With De-Noise I know what it can do. Now with photoAI its all over the place. Seems like thay can’t make up their minds
Actually, the updates with version 3 (most recent) are welcome. I like what they've done with this release. Hopefully they will stick with the UI. This one works for me.

Now, the Video tool needs some work. It is terribly inefficient in its use of resources (at least on a M1 MacBook Pro). Processing even short video clips is excruciatingly slow and resource intensive. My "update subscription" is over but I doubt I will renew the Video app. It just hasn't helped me much and I don't want to buy a new computer to use one app. However the photos app works well for my setup.

Jeff

Back