Transporting donated gear to organizations in Latin America

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Calson

In my travels I frequently encounter people whose organizations would greatly benefit from donated GPS units, binoculars, and similar items. Unfortunately if I were to ship them from the USA to them the duty tax and other fees can be as much as 35% of the "value" set by customs. The work around is to travel with them to the country and then leave them behind. There is a group in California that redistrbutes donated binoculars but they need to have someone traveling to the country and area where a request was made and this can be a problem.

Does anyone know of a travelers' clearing house for taking items to other countries were tourists can function as couriers?

Some of the places I travel to ask before boarding: "did someone ask you to carry anything for them? Do you know them well?" A "yes" and "no" result in a full-cavity search and a missed flight. 🤷

I have often transported items to other countries for friends and co-workers. Often it is less expensive and eliminates worries about the item getting stolen in transist and not making it to the intended recipient. It is stupid to consider taking a pair of binoculars to give to a research scientist smuggling - maybe time to find you dictionary or google the term.

A co-worker is married to a Brazilian woman and when her family comes to the states they have a long shopping list of items to buy for families and friends. High tariffs are common in corrupt countries run by a few elite families. In Honduras one family controls the beer, another the concrete, and so forth. The attitude is to grab more and more of the economic pie for themselves even if it blocks any opportunity to grow the pie - much as we are seeing in the United States with our billionaire overclass.

If I sent the binoculars to a researcher in another state or a country in Europe there would be no problem. But Brazil and other countries place an arbitray 35% tax on the officials perceived value of the gift. In Costa Rica not that long ago if one brought in a very used high mileage car or truck the excise tax was based on the price at which the car sold for when new. The result was many people driving cars all the way from the USA to Costa Rica as it was the only way the vehicles could be afforded.

In the USA we have tax cheats like Trump and Gates but that is different. Many photographers choose to buy from B&H as they were not charging sales tax to out of state customers. I doubt any of those photographers reported this and paid the tax to their state tax agency. Does anyone on this forum do this or is this just hyperbole.

I have often transported items to other countries for friends and co-workers. Often it is less expensive and eliminates worries about the item getting stolen in transist and not making it to the intended recipient. It is stupid to consider taking a pair of binoculars to give to a research scientist smuggling - maybe time to find you dictionary or google the term.

A co-worker is married to a Brazilian woman and when her family comes to the states they have a long shopping list of items to buy for families and friends. High tariffs are common in corrupt countries run by a few elite families. In Honduras one family controls the beer, another the concrete, and so forth. The attitude is to grab more and more of the economic pie for themselves even if it blocks any opportunity to grow the pie - much as we are seeing in the United States with our billionaire overclass.

If I sent the binoculars to a researcher in another state or a country in Europe there would be no problem. But Brazil and other countries place an arbitray 35% tax on the officials perceived value of the gift. In Costa Rica not that long ago if one brought in a very used high mileage car or truck the excise tax was based on the price at which the car sold for when new. The result was many people driving cars all the way from the USA to Costa Rica as it was the only way the vehicles could be afforded.

In the USA we have tax cheats like Trump and Gates but that is different. Many photographers choose to buy from B&H as they were not charging sales tax to out of state customers. I doubt any of those photographers reported this and paid the tax to their state tax agency. Does anyone on this forum do this or is this just hyperbole.
According to Merriam Webster: to import or export secretly contrary to the law and especially without paying duties imposed by law.

Kind of sounds like what you're talking about.

Back