Travelling to Alaska

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm wondering can anyone help with the names of places that do RT-PRC or PCR testing for international travel in Anchorage or Kodiak Island. As an Aussie, I'm finally getting to do a photo tour that has been delayed after over 2 yrs due to our borders being shut. The return leg from Kodiak Island to Australia is the issue as I need the testing within 72 hours of flying. The USA now needs their test within 1 day. Sorry to put this here but there is very little information and flight bookings are going fast.
Little solid information on the internet and no information on this end.
Any places of interest in Anchorage as I have a couple of days before the tour to play tourist?

Thanks for that. I did look at it but the maps were mainly sites for testing. The trouble is my country needs a pathology service test where we have the results sent to us. I'm sure some of them would be great but which ones but thanks for your response. Travel pre covid was much simpler as most travel companies had the answers now they don't.

I'm not clear from your OP what you need. You are looking for a test prior to returning to Oz? And your routing goes from Anchorage to Kodiak then direct to Oz? There are plenty of places to get rapid tests in Anchorage. When are you traveling?

I'm not clear from your OP what you need. You are looking for a test before returning to Oz? And your routing goes from Anchorage to Kodiak then direct to Oz? There are plenty of places to get rapid tests in Anchorage. When are you traveling?
A local great. I have a photography tour in mid-August next year but it finishes on Kodiak Island so we have to make our way back to Anchorage. My preference would be to have it done on Kodiak Island so I could spend more time there.
I just need a place that does Rt-PCR or PCR but it has to have a QR code, not essential, Name of place, My details, their contact on the results.
My trouble is I leave Kodiak Island on 29 Aug to board the afternoon of 30 Aug. I can adjust my return details to fit if I have trouble.
At this stage, my barrier is only one place has replied. I know there would be more but they don't list this service on websites. It's like someone coming to Australia. I can tell them which company does what due to local knowledge. I hear it is similar to your tests to go to Canada and Hawaii. All my return bookings hinge on this test and the time they need to get the results to me.
I hope this is clearer?

Thanks for that. I did look at it but the maps were mainly sites for testing. The trouble is my country needs a pathology service test where we have the results sent to us. I'm sure some of them would be great but which ones but thanks for your response. Travel pre covid was much simpler as most travel companies had the answers now they don't.
Dealing with government agencies in USA can be frustrating on a good day and maddening on an average day. I'm sure it's not much different where you live....

I did find this contact info on the Alaska website. I may be worthwhile to try to contact them.

Contact information
  • Test results and testing questions with health information included, and Alaska Safe Travels Forms, should be sent to [email protected].
  • Questions related to upcoming travel and testing guidance for coming to Alaska can be sent to: [email protected] or contact (907) 646-3322, staffed M-F 9am-5pm.
  • Questions regarding DHSS COVID-19 response, including health advisories, can be sent to [email protected].

A local great. I have a photography tour in mid-August next year but it finishes on Kodiak Island so we have to make our way back to Anchorage. My preference would be to have it done on Kodiak Island so I could spend more time there.
I just need a place that does Rt-PCR or PCR but it has to have a QR code, not essential, Name of place, My details, their contact on the results.
My trouble is I leave Kodiak Island on 29 Aug to board the afternoon of 30 Aug. I can adjust my return details to fit if I have trouble.
At this stage, my barrier is only one place has replied. I know there would be more but they don't list this service on websites. It's like someone coming to Australia. I can tell them which company does what due to local knowledge. I hear it is similar to your tests to go to Canada and Hawaii. All my return bookings hinge on this test and the time they need to get the results to me.
I hope this is clearer?
Sorry, PRC tests.

Walgreens drug stores offer free PCR testing. Check locations in Alaska and you will want to schedule an appointment ahead of time. We used them before we took a trip to Hawaii last March.

I hope this is clearer?
Well for one thing who knows what things will be like by August? But as the world stands right now I'm sure there is someplace in Kodiak that can do rapid PCR testing and provide results within an hour. I just traveled to Haines which is even smaller than Kodiak and the clinic there was able to do so. One thing about the small communities in Alaska is that the populace travels. A LOT. So everyplace is geared towards air travel including international travel. I would simply look on google maps for health care facilities and pharmacies and contact them. Worst case is plan on spending the night in Anchorage and get it done here. You can make an appointment at any pharmacy and get a rapid antigen or PCR test. They do free testing at the airport but results take up to 48 hours.

Dealing with government agencies in USA can be frustrating on a good day and maddening on an average day. I'm sure it's not much different where you live....

I did find this contact info on the Alaska website. I may be worthwhile to try to contact them.

Contact information
  • Test results and testing questions with health information included, and Alaska Safe Travels Forms, should be sent to [email protected].
  • Questions related to upcoming travel and testing guidance for coming to Alaska can be sent to: [email protected] or contact (907) 646-3322, staffed M-F 9am-5pm.
  • Questions regarding DHSS COVID-19 response, including health advisories, can be sent to [email protected].
Thanks for that.
Well for one thing who knows what things will be like by August? But as the world stands right now I'm sure there is someplace in Kodiak that can do rapid PCR testing and provide results within an hour. I just traveled to Haines which is even smaller than Kodiak and the clinic there was able to do so. One thing about the small communities in Alaska is that the populace travels. A LOT. So everyplace is geared towards air travel including international travel. I would simply look on google maps for health care facilities and pharmacies and contact them. Worst case is plan on spending the night in Anchorage and get it done here. You can make an appointment at any pharmacy and get a rapid antigen or PCR test. They do free testing at the airport but results take up to 48 hours.
Thanks. I tried emails but no response. Ringing is the best option and COVID is the new normal.

Hi there! It's great to hear that you're finally getting to embark on your long-awaited photo tour to Alaska. I understand your concerns regarding the required RT-PCR testing for international travel, especially with the time constraints involved. While I don't have real-time information on specific testing locations in Anchorage or Kodiak Island, I can provide some general guidance to help you with your travel plans.

For RT-PCR or PRC testing in Anchorage, it's recommended to check with local healthcare providers, clinics, or hospitals. They often offer testing services for travel purposes, and they can provide you with accurate information on the turnaround time for test results. Additionally, you can reach out to the Anchorage International Airport for any testing facilities they may have on-site or for recommendations.

In Kodiak Island, it's best to contact the Kodiak Island Borough and inquire about testing options available locally. They should be able to guide you to testing facilities or clinics that can meet the specific requirements for your return leg to Australia. if you have any confusion about traveling visit Great Travel Advisor.

As for places of interest in Anchorage, you're in for a treat! With a couple of days to spare, you can explore some of the city's highlights. The Anchorage Museum is a great place to learn about Alaska's history and culture. If you enjoy the outdoors, Tony Knowles Coastal Trail offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape, or you can visit Chugach State Park for hiking and wildlife spotting opportunities. For a unique experience, consider a visit to the Alaska Native Heritage Center to immerse yourself in indigenous cultures.

Back