Tricolored Heron surrounded by blue

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was thinking of submitting this to our local monthly camera club competition. Does this photo pop in any way (with all of the blue) or is it just another boring Heron shot?
Z91_4420-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I was thinking of submitting this to our local monthly camera club competition. Does this photo pop in any way (with all of the blue) or is it just another boring Heron shot?
I like it, the toes just skimming over the water is a nice touch as is the body position and wings. Overall it's a pleasant and well shot image. If you like it and it jumps out to you as some of your better work then sure, go ahead and submit it. It's always hard to guess what judges will like or what other local photographers might enter but I'd be happy with this image.

I agree-the toes dragging on the water adds to the shot. Did you crop or do you have any more above the bird? I would prefer either a little more canvas above the bird or a little less below the bird. I am not sure the reflection adds much to the shot if you have to crop a little off the bottom. Maybe soften the shadow on the L wing (from his head)?
Overall a nice shot, IMO.

Great content trumps all else IMO and the position of the bird is really nice. Have you considered converting to B/W. I'm no B/W expert but seems like you could toy around with the blue channel filter and see what it yields.

The pose, the wings, the skimming feet all add to the shot. I wish I had more of the reflection or less of it, but the partial reflection just draws my eye in an unsatisfying way. The whites are blown in a couple areas on my screen and that could be something you might try to fix if the raw has anything to recover.

If there is no more reflection I would crop more of it away and crop a little of the water on the right. There is enough there to get the idea of leaving room for a water landing, but it the water is not that interesting with textures or ripples. You might experiment with maybe a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Would be a good submission I think.

Last edited:
Back