Trilliums

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not sure quite where to put these, they’re not really landscape, not are they it really a close ups -- so here goes: White trillium is the largest of the eastern trilliums but it's been extirpated in my area by the super-abundant white-tailed deer. The only reason these exist is that they're behind a deer-resistant fence. The purple trillium is fairly common here since it’s not high on deer's menu.

White Trillium.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Purple Trillium.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

7Artisans 60mm macro lens, f/11

Last edited:
WOOOOOW...that purple trillium is beautiful! I have never seen one like that, only the purplish color the white ones turn as the flowers reach their end of life.

Like @Andrew Lamberson said, white trilliums are very common here in western Wisconsin. In the spring the forest floor is pretty close to covered with them.

Nicely done, Woody!

I too love the purple trillium, I do not think I have ever seen one in real life. I see a lot of trilliums in the spring when I am hunting for morel mushrooms. Nothing like a great batch of morels to make your tongue and tummy HAPPY!

Fantastic pictures! White Trilliums are very common here on our steep hillsides of the coulees in the spring. They are common in trout stream coulees.

I have never seen a Purple Trillium, that would be really exciting. I wonder if we even get them in SE Minnesota and SW Wisconsin?

Four Trilliums are considered native to Minnesota: T. cernuum, T. flexipes, T. grandiflorum and T. nivale.

I looked up the range map, looks like you just miss it.

Thank you all. Two years ago someone picked virtually all the blooming purple trilliums in the patch where this one grew; now there are some one year old plants but only few old enough to bloom. This was the largest of the blooming plants but it's flower is much smaller than normal for the species. Sometimes I despise humans.

Back